Wiki Posts
Search

Surreal flight change back in time ...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Surreal flight change back in time ...

I'm in TPE departure area as I write this. I had flights for 12 MAR TPE-NRT and then NRT->HNL all confirmed and good to go, and yesterday I get an email update telling me that I was moved from my 10AM UA flight TPE-NRT to a 0900 ANA flight also TPE-NRT.

Well, OK. Not prefereable, but at least I get there.

Whelp, turns out that the change was to a TPE-NRT ANA flight departing 13MAR ... and I still have the UA flight NRT-HNL for 12 March all locked in; with an upgrade even!

I'm on the line with the 1K desk as I write this. They acknowledge the crazy mistake, but they tell me they can't get me on a flight to NRT and they won't pay for a hotel room for the overnight in Taipei.

This seems to be a new low for the new UA ....
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:50 pm

I guess the real question is why were you moved? Also, are the two flights on the same PNR?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
No, I would respectfully say that the real question is "WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot, United?"

So originally I had a UA flight TPE->NRT and a UA flight NRT->HNL, both on 12 March. I get notice yesterday that the TPE-NRT flight was CXL, and I was rebooked on an ANA flight departing 12 March at 0900 as opposed to the original 1030. I got to TPE this morning (12March) and the nice people at the ANA checkin desk informed me that my ANA flight is actually on 13March, but I still have the 12March UA flight NRT->HNL.

So I call the 1K desk. Wait on hold for 18 minutes and get an Indian CSR. She notices that I am talking international flights and puts me on hold for a further 5 minutes, at which point I get an eastern European CSR. After a little explanation (she asks at one point "so, you want to fly from Hawaii to Tokyo?"), she says "Oh ... uh oh ... hold on ..." and I wait for a further 4 minutes.

Then she comes back and says there's nothing she can do, she cant get me out of TPE today because it will take 24 hours to confirm a flight on another carrier and United will not pay for a hotel after dorking up my reservations and making me stay in TPE another day.

NOTE: I was carefully slow, courteous and clear the entire time. I was *not* a d1ck, altho I think I would have had justification for being one....

So I ask to speak to a supe, and - wouldn't you know it - I get cut off. Go figure.

So I call back, and after an additional 8 minutes on hold, I speak to an American CSR who, after examining the problem, books me on the 12Mar ANA flight (today's flight: the one I thought I was on to begin with) and sends me on my way. So much for that "24 hours to confirm on another carrier" stuff. I check in and board at the last possible second and I am now writing this from the ANA lounge in NRT.

So all's well that ends well, I guess, except lucky for me that I'm a 1K and eventually got connected to a CSR with a clue. Otherwise I'd be footing the bill for a hotel in Taipei and cursing the new United even more than I am.

Flight changes backward in time - another change we're gonna like.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Oy! I would imagine the date mix up has to do with international date/time stuff. But you shouldn't need to go through hoops to get this cleared up.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Glad it all worked out, but boy that does sound like some frustrating experience.

In effect you illustrated the old adage of trying again (and again) with a different CSR if the one you have is clueless. Not that you should have had to to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.