Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

:confused: UA is now charging carrier changes on award tickets?

Old Mar 11, 12, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

Hi All,
I am confused, now regardless of departure time, changing carrier will result in a fee of $75 (non-elite). http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ticketing.aspx Is that true? Anyways to avoid this charge? Thanks.
Old Mar 11, 12, 5:29 pm

This would be a huge devaluation of the old combined program. One of the best aspects of a Continental award was the ability to reroute as availability opened up.
Old Mar 11, 12, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OptionsCLE View Post
This would be a huge devaluation of the old combined program. One of the best aspects of a Continental award was the ability to reroute as availability opened up.
Yes, agree.
Old Mar 11, 12, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

This is awful. Now snatching a saver J award on SQ is practically impossible.
Old Mar 11, 12, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps I don't understand. On UA, you've never been allowed to change the carrier without a fee, even if routing stayed the same.

Are you all saying on PMCO, you could change carriers for free?
Old Mar 11, 12, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
Are you all saying on PMCO, you could change carriers for free?
Historically, yes. It was a very nice benefit, along with the generally better flexibility that sCO provided for awards.

If this change is real it is a strike against the new program. Not sure it is a death mark, but definitely an unfortunate change for the negative.
Old Mar 11, 12, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Historically, yes. It was a very nice benefit, along with the generally better flexibility that sCO provided for awards.

If this change is real it is a strike against the new program. Not sure it is a death mark, but definitely an unfortunate change for the negative.
Was this the case for all all members, all elites, or certain level of elites? Appears that you can change carriers at no fee as a 1K still.
Old Mar 11, 12, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

No fee for 1K or GS. But for a leisure/self-sufficient traveler, attain 1K status is extremely hard.
Old Mar 11, 12, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mediator View Post
No fee for 1K or GS. But for a leisure/self-sufficient traveler, attain 1K status is extremely hard.
Agreed. I was more curious if this benefit of no fee carrier change was a Plat/PP benefit with PMCO or if the benefit was for all elites.
Old Mar 11, 12, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE
On UA previously it was only GS and 1K that could change award reservations without any fees.

Currently, GS, 1K, and Plats have all award-related fees waived.
Old Mar 11, 12, 8:57 pm

What about 'Adding, changing or deleting a connection, 21 days or more prior to departure' that is at No Fee.

If you add/delete a connection, but it requires a new airline you won't be charged the fee?
Old Mar 11, 12, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by PHLyer82 View Post
Was this the case for all all members, all elites, or certain level of elites? Appears that you can change carriers at no fee as a 1K still.
Historically it was for everyone. Basically ALL change more than 21 days out were free so long as the O/D city pair remained the same. You could change carriers, dates, times and routing. That appears to no longer be the case.

Originally Posted by SirJman View Post
If you add/delete a connection, but it requires a new airline you won't be charged the fee?
A strict reading of the rules suggests yes. That makes it a bit confusing and harder to believe, but that is how I read it now.
Old Mar 11, 12, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by mediator View Post
But for a leisure/self-sufficient traveler, attain 1K status is extremely hard.
Unless they know what they are doing
Old Mar 12, 12, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Plat, HH Diamond
I just hopped over to the new united.com to see what the new award change rules were. I really enjoyed the old CO rules to change routing, dates and carriers for free as long as more than 21 days out especially since I have no status because I basically don't have any work-related travel and when I travel for leisure it's the odd domestic Y trip or the premium international award. I had a feeling that we'd get screwed on award fees somehow with the merger and it's good to see that $miser didn't let us down.

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Historically it was for everyone. Basically ALL change more than 21 days out were free so long as the O/D city pair remained the same. You could change carriers, dates, times and routing. That appears to no longer be the case.

Originally Posted by SirJman View Post
What about 'Adding, changing or deleting a connection, 21 days or more prior to departure' that is at No Fee.

A strict reading of the rules suggests yes. That makes it a bit confusing and harder to believe, but that is how I read it now.
Pretty sure that's not how UA will interpret the rule. 5 bucks says you'll have to pay even if adding a new connection forces a new carrier.

Oh, and also correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it to free to book *A awards with PMCO on the phone? It now costs you $25 to do the same. What's worse is that I'm pretty sure that I'll now have to deal with UA's ICC instead of CO's American agents. It's not like CO's US based CSRs are great, but the ICC is much worse.
Old Mar 12, 12, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by abcx View Post
Oh, and also correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it to free to book *A awards with PMCO on the phone?
Nope. That charge was always there, though it was waived from time to time.

Search this Thread