The new United needs a geography lesson!

Old Mar 11, 12, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS 1mm AA-Ex Plat Marriott Plat SPG Plat Hilton Gold Hyatt-Plat Avis-Avis First
Angry The new United needs a geography lesson!

Apparently LAX and SFO are the only so called trans con flights, UA has downgraded service from the EWR hub to PDX,SEA,SNA,SAN. CO tried this a few years ago as a cost cutting measure and it didn't end well for them. Full trans con first class service was reinstated!
Old Mar 11, 12, 3:20 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT

What are the service downgrades?
Old Mar 11, 12, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
If UA has a flight EWR-SEA (which of course there are several a day) and you land in SEA how does UA need a geography lesson?? I think this is a poorly titled thread and I'm not sure what the point of the OP's post is.

-RM
Old Mar 11, 12, 3:32 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
I would speculate that the OP means UA only thinks flying to and from SFO and LAX to the east coast represents a transcontinental flight. And that UA doesn't think there are any other cities on the west coast worthy of getting the transcontinental label despite the geographical reality that EWR is on one side of the continental US and these cities are on the other side. As such those other west coast cities get a lower level of service (which I'm still curious what that means).
Old Mar 11, 12, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I think he's complaining about meal service.
Old Mar 11, 12, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by sethatco View Post
Apparently LAX and SFO are the only so called trans con flights, UA has downgraded service from the EWR hub to PDX,SEA,SNA,SAN. CO tried this a few years ago as a cost cutting measure and it didn't end well for them. Full trans con first class service was reinstated!
Haha and I wonder who back then tried to do that and who is now in a better position to keep it permanent!
Old Mar 11, 12, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
Interesting given that DL gives the BusinessFirst to SEA (in addition to LAX/SFO) and I think has done so for PDX as well at times...
Old Mar 11, 12, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
that's too bad, I enjoyed the full transcon service SNA-EWR several times if they are bumping down the service on that flight it'll be a bummer.

Search this Thread