Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

After 3/3, do I get more mileage on upgraded flight?

After 3/3, do I get more mileage on upgraded flight?

Old Mar 11, 12, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Question After 3/3, do I get more mileage on upgraded flight?

Flew from HKG-ORD on 3/4 and got upgraded to C from Y. The mileage now I get on this flight is 11,662+7,775=19,437 miles. I guess it's based on business class Z (that's what I saw from online account statement), 150% of actual flown mileage 7,775 + 1K bonus miles 7,775, and the qualifying segment I get on this flight is 1.5 segments, not 1 segment. But before 3/3 I could only get 15,550 miles on this flight even I got upgraded to business. Is it a computer glitch or did I miss anything?
Old Mar 11, 12, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GordonGordon View Post
Flew from HKG-ORD on 3/4 and got upgraded to C from Y. The mileage now I get on this flight is 11,662+7,775=19,437 miles. I guess it's based on business class Z (that's what I saw from online account statement), 150% of actual flown mileage 7,775 + 1K bonus miles 7,775, and the qualifying segment I get on this flight is 1.5 segments, not 1 segment. But before 3/3 I could only get 15,550 miles on this flight even I got upgraded to business. Is it a computer glitch or did I miss anything?

My guess is that it is a bug that (now) will be closed shortly.
Old Mar 11, 12, 9:54 pm

Programs: exUA, WN
First rule of Fight Club....
Old Mar 11, 12, 9:59 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
My guess is that it is a bug that (now) will be closed shortly.
And retroactively corrected.
Old Mar 11, 12, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Why were you upgraded? Your answer might give insight into why.

Were you using miles/cert, or was this an op up. I'm assuming using a cert, pretty standard to get purchased class mileage. But if the latter, could just be the way the agent entered it into the system. Not sure about the new system, but on the old UA, with irrops etc. and rebooking, technically agents were supposed to rebook in same class as purchased, but often enough, agents just would put you into full Y/full F because it was easier to do (especially if original class was no longer available.) For example, one time, I was UDU'd into F (NF), but then took a bump, and asked if the agent could keep the upgrade when she rebooked me. Apparently I was rebooked into full F (per my mileage statement, anyway).

Wondering if something similar happened here, where you were upgraded into C instead of "R".
Old Mar 11, 12, 10:47 pm

We should discuss this more on an open forum!
Old Mar 11, 12, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by GordonGordon View Post
Did you book in Y fare class or are you using this as a generic for E? If truly in Y fare class, you were entitled the the 1.5 PQS. Also, RDM would be 17,522......in between what you earned and what you used to earn.
Old Mar 12, 12, 1:25 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Doesn't matter how or why you were upgraded to "C" (posted as "Z"), it's a gift and you should leave well enough alone.

The flight posted correctly for "Z" class. Since I'm assuming this ticket was booked before the system merge the system couldn't figure out what your original fare class was so they posted it for the cabin you flew in.

-RM

Search this Thread