Luggage gate check-in on q400

Old Mar 11, 12, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Luggage gate check-in on q400

Going from EWR to PWM, I know on the q400 bombardier you have gate-side check in, I was just wondering what the size limit is. I have gate checked before and have been fine but last time they told me my luggage was far too big to check in.. My luggage I plan on gate checking is an "average" sized rolling luggage, not that big.. Thanks
Old Mar 11, 12, 11:24 am

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by theflyingpolarbear View Post
Going from EWR to PWM, I know on the q400 bombardier you have gate-side check in, I was just wondering what the size limit is. I have gate checked before and have been fine but last time they told me my luggage was far too big to check in.. My luggage I plan on gate checking is an "average" sized rolling luggage, not that big.. Thanks

You should be able to gate-check any bag that fits the carry-on size requirement, which is:

The maximum combined linear measurement (length + width + height) of carry-on bags must not exceed 14 inches x 9 inches x 22 inches (23 x 35 x 56 cm) or 45 linear inches (114 cm).
Additional information can be found:

http://pss.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...eCarry-On.aspx
Old May 15, 12, 7:50 pm
formerly Auracon

Programs: United GS, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond Select, Hertz PC
Question My carry-on bag on Q400 - FAA regulation?

This is the conversation I had on a recent ORF-EWR flight last week right as I was getting on board a Q400:

Colgan FA: (Sticks her foot in front of my rollerbag carry-on, almost kicking it..) "Sir, that's not gonna fit on this one."

Me: "Oh, thanks for letting me know; but the Q400s have always fit this one. May I try it?"

Colgan FA: "FAA regulation!" (yep, thats all she said)

Me: "Really? I did not realize that." (and as I finished this I successfully fit my bag in overhead bin...)

Colgan FA: "Just do whatever you want."

----

Is this really an FAA regulation?
Old May 15, 12, 8:23 pm

Sorry, but is what an FAA regulation? The size of the bag?

Honestly I think they just fall back on saying "FAA regulation/Federal Law/etc."
Old May 15, 12, 9:07 pm
formerly Auracon

Programs: United GS, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond Select, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nova08 View Post

Honestly I think they just fall back on saying "FAA regulation/Federal Law/etc."
I guess I was saying, whether it was truly an FAA regulation that my normal carryon bag which i believe is under 22inches cannot go on a Q400 overhead bin.

But yeah, I think she just fell back onto the whole regulation talk unless I'm missing somewhere. Just trying to avoid the same situation next time.
Old May 15, 12, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by nova08 View Post

The gate-checking of baggage itself is not an FAA regulation, however carriers can be fined for not following any policy set forth by the company itself. Now, I don't know the specifics of Colgans policy because I don't work for them, but there is a maximum size bag that is permitted in the cabin, everything else has to be gate-checked. Even if the bag fits, if it exceeds the pre-determined size it must be checked.

As far as I'm aware, all regional jets aside from the E170/E190 cannot accommodate anything larger than a backpack/laptop bag/purse/etc. The announcements are made concerning this and it is very frustrating when passengers attempt to get other bags into the cabin, ignoring the gate-check policies. Unfortunately it doesn't matter if the bag will fit, if exceeds the allowed dimensions it must be gate-checked.
Old Aug 13, 13, 5:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
I have a very tight connection. 40 min at IAD. It looks like the overhead bins on the Q400 are pretty large. http://brians-travels.com/united-exp...r-q400-review/

I have a smallish Tumi roll-aboard, well within the official dimensions unlike your typical Samsonite. It fits thickness-wise on a CRJ (tried yesterday but is slightly too wide.)

Do they still make everyone wait on the plane at Dulles A gates until all the bags are out? That could kill my connection chances; have to get to C. They don't make people wait when they have a jetway. Great, until last week this flight was on an ERJ that used a C gate.
Old Aug 13, 13, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Auracon View Post
This is the conversation I had on a recent ORF-EWR flight last week right as I was getting on board a Q400:

Colgan FA: (Sticks her foot in front of my rollerbag carry-on, almost kicking it..) "Sir, that's not gonna fit on this one."

Me: "Oh, thanks for letting me know; but the Q400s have always fit this one. May I try it?"

Colgan FA: "FAA regulation!" (yep, thats all she said)

Me: "Really? I did not realize that." (and as I finished this I successfully fit my bag in overhead bin...)

Colgan FA: "Just do whatever you want."

----

Is this really an FAA regulation?

She invented that.
Old Aug 13, 13, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by gnaget View Post
Do they still make everyone wait on the plane at Dulles A gates until all the bags are out? That could kill my connection chances; have to get to C. They don't make people wait when they have a jetway. Great, until last week this flight was on an ERJ that used a C gate.
Yep, any time you don't get a jet bridge the policy seems to quite consistently be to make everyone wait. I've pleaded before to no avail.

Search this Thread