MileagePlus (should be known as MileageMinus)

Old Mar 11, 12, 9:47 am
Original Poster

MileagePlus (should be known as MileageMinus)

I'm not one to post much on this web site, but the new MileagePlus program deserves some commentary.

Between United and Continental, I normally flew Continental. I have been flying for business since 2004 and have seen Continental's loyalty program slowly whittled down until we now arrive at “MileagePlus”.

The big changes for MileagePlus are essentially the need to reach 100,000 miles per year to enjoy full benefits (up from 75,000 miles), and ALL of your miles will now expire if you don't have activity on your account for 18 months.

The requirement to fly 100,000 miles to enjoy full benefits is an irritation. Only fly 99,999 miles and you are essentially relegated back to a second class flyer.

Expiring miles is a much bigger deal. All of my miles have been earned under the OnePass program, which stated that the miles would never expire. If United expires miles once earned as “miles that never expire”, I predict a class action suit will be forthcoming.
Old Mar 11, 12, 9:51 am
par

Programs: UA 2K GS, SQ PPS, AA Ruby, NW Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
i doubt you stand a legal basis to make a meaningful claim in a lawsuit.

this is the first rule of the membership: "OnePass Terms and Conditions Continental Airlines and all OnePass partners reserve the right to change any aspect of the OnePass program at any time"
Old Mar 11, 12, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Global Services and 2.9MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond/Marriott Platinum Ambassador, Hertz PC
Read the fine print... They will not expire as long as you keep your MileagePlus account active... Active means a flight, a credit card purchase giving you points, etc. So they really dont expire unless you go completely dormant for the defined duration.
Old Mar 11, 12, 10:11 am

Keeping miles from expiring is as easy as opening a TopGuest account and using Foursquare to check-in to an airport. Easy 50 miles and 18 month extension on the mileage expiration.
Old Mar 11, 12, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
First, welcome to FT. However, I wholehartedly disagree with your expiry argument.

If you're biggest gripe with the new program is that miles expiry happens with 18 month of inactivity, I don't have much sympathy. These programs are really not going to be rewarding for one-time flyers, or those who decide to fly UA/a partner every few years anyway. It's meant as a marketing program and to help generate loyalty. If you aren't giving them, or partners, any business within 18 months, its fairly safe to assume you're not very loyal. Why should they give someone rewards if they are not really giving them much business.

It's not even that hard to have activity within 18 months. One of the restaurants you go to every so often probably is part of MP dining. And the mall offers countless opportunities. Buy something from one of the retailers online (you probably already shop at a few of them, and don't realize it). Even if you don't, go there, find iTunes and spend a couple of bucks there, and your miles are safe for another 18 months. You don't even really have to spend any money at all anymore. Not sure about since the changeover, but you used to be able to use miles for a newspaper/magazine subscription, or could donate miles to certain charities. Or...sign up for that TopGuest program and check in through Facebook or Foursquare the next time you are at an airport. Cost to you to extend your account for 18 months: nothing.

There have been some devaluations in the program recently, and I can understand many (though not all) of the complaints that have been put forth in this forum. Yours is one that I can not understand.

On the other hand, I also don't see how you could be upset about both complaints in your post. Are you having a hard time determining how to have MP activity 18 months, or are you a 75,000 - 100,000 mile flyer upset that you are not in the top tier anymore. I may not be an analyst for MP, but I see these as two different people.

With the merger, OnePass no longer exists. You don't have to like it. Take it to court if you wish, but it will be a waste of time and money.
Old Mar 11, 12, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wake_me_when_we_get_there View Post
I'm not one to post much on this web site, but the new MileagePlus program deserves some commentary.

Between United and Continental, I normally flew Continental. I have been flying for business since 2004 and have seen Continental's loyalty program slowly whittled down until we now arrive at “MileagePlus”.

The big changes for MileagePlus are essentially the need to reach 100,000 miles per year to enjoy full benefits (up from 75,000 miles), and ALL of your miles will now expire if you don't have activity on your account for 18 months.

The requirement to fly 100,000 miles to enjoy full benefits is an irritation. Only fly 99,999 miles and you are essentially relegated back to a second class flyer.

Expiring miles is a much bigger deal. All of my miles have been earned under the OnePass program, which stated that the miles would never expire. If United expires miles once earned as “miles that never expire”, I predict a class action suit will be forthcoming.
Some of the new Mileage Plus came from the One Pass program and us UA fliers who fly less than 75K but more than 50K can make the same complaint you make with the "new" 75K level that UA did not have. We are down a level in the pecking order amongst other loses of benefits. Things change. Either adapt, move on or try and change things like others on this site are doing. And as others said, the miles only expire if you go completely dormant for 18 months. Any activity extends the expiration.
Old Mar 11, 12, 8:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Wake_me_when_we_get_there View Post
.... All of my miles have been earned under the OnePass program, which stated that the miles would never expire. ...
Believe that is an incorrect statement, CO T&Cs allowed for the possibility of expiring miles but they never actually did it.
Old Mar 11, 12, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post

On the other hand, I also don't see how you could be upset about both complaints in your post. Are you having a hard time determining how to have MP activity 18 months, or are you a 75,000 - 100,000 mile flyer upset that you are not in the top tier anymore. I may not be an analyst for MP, but I see these as two different people.
I see it as a disgruntled OP who has barely clue at the benefits from PremPlat to 1K. "2nd-class flyer"?
Old Mar 11, 12, 9:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott PLT, UA 1K.
just another day...

Search this Thread