FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   More strange upgrade behavior (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1323522-more-strange-upgrade-behavior.html)

eflyte Mar 10, 2012 9:38 pm

More strange upgrade behavior

Love, love, love...

Looking at "Upgrade your flight" at the new united.com for this coming week's travel. I have an offer to upgrade 1 of 4 segments for a charge of 10,000 miles...others show no availability. Or, I could click the button at the bottom of the screen and upgrade all available segments (i.e. 1?) for 16,666 miles. ?

Oh - did I mention that the segment I'm offered an upgrade on is booked as paid B? Wait, I thought that in the new system this was supposed to clear w/ top priority, an "instant upgrade"? Maybe full fare + 10,000 miles earns me F on a 40 min flight? Or not? ...???

I've seen a lot of griping about fare trumping status in the new system, but are others seeing fare-based UGs fail in obvious situations like this, too?

mduell Mar 10, 2012 10:12 pm

I think I've read in a few other threads you have to click the upgrade button for B fares to upgrade to PN.

It's a very strange system.

eflyte Mar 10, 2012 10:19 pm

I've seen some mention of that, too, which is why I went looking at the "upgrade your flight" page where I was presented w the 10,000 mile buy-up option. That doesn't seem right, though...maybe there is another upgrade button on some other page that does the magic? Where have folks gone who have had success w this?

Agreed, very strange.

CDKing Mar 10, 2012 10:41 pm

The link you are looking for is under your flight info below the

Change Flights, View/Change Seats, Redeem Upgrade

MileagePlus Members: Upon completion of this itinerary, you will earn up to XXXX award miles.*
Instant Premier Upgrade. (click on this)

eflyte Mar 11, 2012 3:35 am

Hmmm...this link does not exist in my reservation. Maybe I'm not on one of the mysterious "select" flights where B-up is offered.

OtleyFlyer Mar 11, 2012 4:20 am

Originally Posted by eflyte (Post 18177117)
Hmmm...this link does not exist in my reservation. Maybe I'm not on one of the mysterious "select" flights where B-up is offered.

If I understand the system correctly you also need to have availability in the right fare bucket (it should have showed eligible for instant upgrade on the original search page when you made the booking, or comes up under P or PN codes I think). Whereas a mile u/g comes out of the R or RN bucket.

Air Houston Mar 11, 2012 7:41 am

If you have a domestic ticket booked in Y or B and it was not upgraded when you purchased the ticket, you can upgrade it by clicking the UPGRADE link that is shown in light blue immediately BELOW your reservation. (Assuming F availability for Y and PN availability for B.) Do not click the upgrade reservation button at the top of your reservation as that is for upgrades for cash, miles, SWU's, and RPU's. Yes, this is indeed a screwy way to do it. You can find more information on upgrade procedures on SBM12's post about learning about the new website.

njcommodore Mar 11, 2012 8:23 am

Originally Posted by eflyte (Post 18177117)

Is it a CPU eligible route? When there is availability in the right bucket (B is not last seat upgradeable like Y is) you will see a yellow icon in the right side of the reservation indicating that it's a elite eligible upgrade or something to that effect.

eflyte Mar 11, 2012 3:30 pm

Wow - finally found it...a small text link at the very bottom of the itinerary page. I was looking for a link associated w/ each flight segment. This link takes you to a 'hidden' page where you can click on the eligible segments and apply the UGs.