Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Accessing United Club with Day Pass while flying another airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2012, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Have a crazy routing on DL tomorrow ATL-SNA-SLC, with a three hour layover in SNA. I have a AMEX Platinum card, but that won't do me any good as there are no Delta Sky Clubs in SNA. I do however have a few United "One-Time Pass" coupons laying around. Is there any chance I'd be able to access the United lounge even though I'm flying DL with the day passes? Sure appreciate the help!
Old Mar 10, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
If you have the pass it doesn't matter which airline you're flying. Just make sure the club is in the same terminal or a terminal you can access
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, it's good to know I won't have a problem. I have some Alaska Airlines coupons that I can only use if I fly on Alaska metal. - Hoping that wasn't the case here. Thanks again!
Old Mar 25, 2012, 7:02 pm
xp0

United Club passes when you are flying on a different airline?

I was wondering -- Are you are able to use the United Club passes when you are flying on a different airline? I have an upcoming Delta (edit) flight and I have a few of those United Club Passes. I was wondering/hoping I would be able to use the lounge despite the fact I am not actually flying United that day.

Thanks!

Last edited by xp0; Mar 25, 2012 at 7:08 pm
Old Mar 25, 2012, 7:08 pm

When I've used one of those passes, they've never asked to see my BP. And IIRC, there's nothing on the pass saying you need to be on UA. So, you should be OK.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 7:09 pm
xp0

Thanks for the info!
Old Mar 25, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: NW, UA
Or swap it for a DL one in CC.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott Lifetime Plat
United Club Access When Travelling on Different Airline?

Hi everyone, I apologize if this has been discussed before, or if this is an obvious answer, but here goes:

Do you need to be flying on United, or a Star Alliance carrier, to enter the United Club if you have the Club Membership?

Here's a scenario that I am thinking of:
I currently have access to the United Club via the MileagePlus credit card. But I am booked to travel on a rival airline, say American Airlines. Would I be able to still use the United Club when I'm at the airport?

On United's website for club access, it does not specifically mention that you need to flying United or a Star Alliance carrier:
http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ge/access.aspx

So I'm wondering if this is possible or not.

Thanks,
--Nishant

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 28, 2012 at 2:26 pm Reason: vague thread title
Old Jun 28, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by nishantmurarka
Hi everyone, I apologize if this has been discussed before, or if this is an obvious answer, but here goes:

Do you need to be flying on United, or a Star Alliance carrier, to enter the United Club if you have the Club Membership?

Here's a scenario that I am thinking of:
I currently have access to the United Club via the MileagePlus credit card. But I am booked to travel on a rival airline, say American Airlines. Would I be able to still use the United Club when I'm at the airport?

On United's website for club access, it does not specifically mention that you need to flying United or a Star Alliance carrier:
http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ge/access.aspx

So I'm wondering if this is possible or not.

Thanks,
--Nishant
If you're a member you can enter the club anytime by showing your membership card. No need to be flying on UA or a partner.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Excellent, thanks for the quick reply!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA IK, Hyatt Plat, Avis PP
However, in most cases, if you are not flying on a *A flight, entering another *A club is a not permitted. UA Club is OK but I've been refuse entry into other *A clubs, even with a paid membership.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by nishantmurarka

To enter a United or US Airways club with a United Club Card you need

• United Club card
  • Valid ID

You do not have to be flying to use the United or US Airways club.

Originally Posted by jlivengo
However, in most cases, if you are not flying on a *A flight, entering another *A club is a not permitted. UA Club is OK but I've been refuse entry into other *A clubs, even with a paid membership.
The requirements to enter a Star Alliance club with a United card are

• United Club card
  • Boarding pass for travel on a Star Alliance flight departing from the airport in which the lounge is located

so you should have been denied entry if you did not have a boarding pass on a star alliance flight
Old Jun 30, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: AA, UA.
Can you use united club pass on JFK with AA flight?

Sorry if this question has been answer before.
I had a upcoming trip
11/13 HKG - > JFK AA 9:35 am - 12:10 pm
11/13 JFK -> BOS AA 4:00 pm - 5:20 pm

After go thru custom, I had about 2+ hours in JFK. I received the united club pass from Chase Explorer credit. I was wondering if I can used this pass on Terminal 7. The AA airline is located at Terminal 8.

Thanks!
Lee
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Gold
Three things a United MileagePlus Club credit card holder should show *A desk workers

I have the United MileagePlus club credit card which gives me united club membership. Just today the Lufthansa desk worker at the Lufthansa lounge in DTW, did not want to give me access. She ultimately let me in "just this time" as a favor ....

She wanted me to show a red united red carpet club membership card with a star alliance logo. But all I had was a blue united mileageplus club card, which does not have a star alliance logo on it.

1. This site explains that "united red carpet club" is now "united club" : https://hub.united.com/News/CompanyO...-new-name.aspx

2. The star alliance lunge access page also clearly states BOTH "united red carpet club" and "united club": http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/

3. This page on united.com, shows that the united mileageplus club credit card gives united club access: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mark...tPartners.aspx

Now, she still wanted to see a star alliance logo on my mileageplus club card, and I couldn't do anything about that. The page linked in item #2 above does indeed state the card must have the star alliance logo on it, so the star alliance lounge workers could have a case based on the logo issue.

I didn't show these web pages to the desk worker today, but I may have to next time! Hopefully they will update their information over time. She showed me her instructions on her monitor which was a big gallery of all the different cards that she could accept. They also have a blanket rule (which is now wrong) that "no credit cards can get you into the lounge."

Hopefully, as more and more travelers using the MileagePlus Club card will cause the desk workers to update their information!
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by masoodflyer
I have the United MileagePlus club credit card which gives me united club membership. Just today the Lufthansa desk worker at the Lufthansa lounge in DTW, did not want to give me access. She ultimately let me in "just this time" as a favor ....

She wanted me to show a red united red carpet club membership card with a star alliance logo. But all I had was a blue united mileageplus club card, which does not have a star alliance logo on it.

1. This site explains that "united red carpet club" is now "united club" : https://hub.united.com/News/CompanyO...-new-name.aspx

2. The star alliance lunge access page also clearly states BOTH "united red carpet club" and "united club": http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/

3. This page on united.com, shows that the united mileageplus club credit card gives united club access: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mark...tPartners.aspx

Now, she still wanted to see a star alliance logo on my mileageplus club card, and I couldn't do anything about that. The page linked in item #2 above does indeed state the card must have the star alliance logo on it, so the star alliance lounge workers could have a case based on the logo issue.

I didn't show these web pages to the desk worker today, but I may have to next time! Hopefully they will update their information over time. She showed me her instructions on her monitor which was a big gallery of all the different cards that she could accept. They also have a blanket rule (which is now wrong) that "no credit cards can get you into the lounge."

Hopefully, as more and more travelers using the MileagePlus Club card will cause the desk workers to update their information!
Are you referring to the United Club visa card that you received from Chase (with visa logo) or the actual club membership card that you should receive three to four weeks following the receipt of your credit card? The membership card does have the star alliance logo on it. This is what you need to access partner lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.