FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Anyone jumping to DELTA or other yet? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1323408-anyone-jumping-delta-other-yet.html)

GoBucks27 Mar 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Anyone jumping to DELTA or other yet?

Just wondering.

PDXPremier Mar 10, 2012 3:10 pm

I thought about DL but chose to stick with UA because:
1. My wife and I both already qualified for 2P again this year and I don't think DL is doing traditional status matches anymore
2. I've been given quite a few CR1s and SWUs (that were about to expire) from some very kind FTers...I don't think it's really an option for DL...you almost never see anything upgrade related for DL on Coupon Connection...if I was an upper tier elite with DL, I'd be pretty jealous of the CR1s/SWUs and evips given out by the competition...upgrades people can actually use and/or give to friends and family
3. I came to fully understand how the term "Sky Pesos" came about...their low tier award inventory is sparse to say the least...I've always had really good luck finding low tier Y and C awards on UA and *A...I'm always amazed to see DL fares in the mileage run deals page...who cares whether it's 3cpm or 6cpm when you have to cash in double miles to redeem anything with them??
4. They're silvers won't get Economy Comfort seating until check-in so that's basically where us 2Ps are at with UA

*I like AS, especially since I'm based in PDX, but they just don't have the route network of UA and the *A and show no interest in joining any airline alliance in the future which seems to work for them, just not for me....they also don't seem to have jumped on the E+ bandwagon like UA and DL and soon to be AA...coming late to that party may cost them $$ in the future, but that's up for debate.

navi-c Mar 10, 2012 3:36 pm

I've been considering AA due to eVIPs being valid on any fare class... I think that would make more sense than DL (unless your in ATL, MSP, SLC..). The grass is always greener...

Aloha1 Mar 10, 2012 7:06 pm

We are at T+7 and it's still a cluster @#$%. So, yes, I'm moving more business to AA and back to DL. If Open Skies allowed LH or SQ to fly domestic routes, I'd be on them in a New York minute.

mduell Mar 10, 2012 7:18 pm

I'm not booking tickets on UA or flying on UA in March and April. Other airlines it is!

ijgordon Mar 10, 2012 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by navi-c (Post 18175127)
I've been considering AA due to eVIPs being valid on any fare class...

Well, FYI, there's a current "rumor" thread that AA will add co-pays for SWUs. Personally, I give it a 60-70% chance of happening. Though co-pays are still better than the restricted fare SWUs in that you don't have to pay to enter the lottery.

WIRunner Mar 11, 2012 11:10 am

Looked at DL but their schedule is much worse than what UA offers. US has better times than DL but still worse than UA, and would involve a lot of miles in CR2s. AA doesn't fly to Maine, Jetblue doesn't fly to Wisconsin.

There's no where to jump really.

Mats Mar 11, 2012 11:10 am

I've been toying with the idea. I'm Platinum, but I often fail to see the benefits. But I just don't see another carrier offering anything better.

This month, I'm off to Buenos Aires. I'm annoyed that the ticket was expensive, my domestic meals are now Jeff'ed up and minimized, and I'll be in an old generation business class seat on the 767-200ER.

But Delta has painfully low award inventory, nothing special for domestic catering, and I greatly dislike the MSP and ATL hubs. After really horrible food and dismal service in BusinessElite from Atlanta to Tel Aviv and v.v. (when that route was still extant), I decided to switch everything back to Continental. Above all, ASA and Comair are very weak links in their system.

AAmerican is in so much trouble, and their losing partners in OneWorld (Finnair is bankrupt, Malev is gone, Kingfisher is 'on hold.") At least the Star Alliance has many other options.

Although I've found that US Airways has very pleasant flight attendants on "West" flights, the PHL and CLT hubs are hardly gems. The smaller options (JetBlue and Virgin America) don't fly where I go.

So I just have to wait it out. I still have to fly somehow, and I just tell myself that maybe Jeff or his successor will put a few toppings back on the pizza. They've made a lot of money off of me and my family, but the Continental and United employees aren't able to show their appreciation by providing the service that was offered just months ago.

Sprezzatura Mar 11, 2012 11:14 am

I'm looking at a PLT challenge with AA once I run through the UA flights I currently have booked.

dergon darkhelm Mar 11, 2012 1:00 pm

I'm holding steady as a CLE hub captive for now.

However, I did notice that just this month Delta has started running a significant ad campaign in the Cleveland market. If they actually try to *do* something to steal my business from United, maybe I'll jump.

IAHRyan Mar 11, 2012 4:37 pm

I'm staying right here. My upgrade rates are still >90% flying out of IAH as a 1K and my SWUs have all cleared at least a couple weeks out (most recently on an IAH-AMS r/t).

Most of my flying is paid int'l J though, so my EUA upgrade rate is only out of maybe 15-20 flights in the last six months. Mostly IAH-DCA.

TXbizman Mar 12, 2012 8:45 pm

I did, 1/1 and loving it. Will fly CO when I need to use my RU/SWU or use up my miles but otherwise, I am content with my new flyer. You should try it, if your route allows. No direct, all the time, but it is not that bad.

Weez_1000 Mar 13, 2012 4:19 am

I wouldn't say I switched airlines yet but I have 6 flights scheduled on UA in March and April. I recently booked 1 on DL and B6, something I would have never done before. Being EWR based, UA will always be included in some of my flying but I'm looking for options when available.

halls120 Mar 13, 2012 6:15 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 18176004)
Well, FYI, there's a current "rumor" thread that AA will add co-pays for SWUs. Personally, I give it a 60-70% chance of happening. Though co-pays are still better than the restricted fare SWUs in that you don't have to pay to enter the lottery.

I'd rather opt for a co-pay than play the lottery. I've flow AA a lot the last six months, and intend to continue. Taking my first TATL in 10 years on an airline other than United week after next. Breaking my United addiction is liberating, so far.

terminalc Mar 13, 2012 8:22 am

No, staying where I am. CO was very good for me all these years. I wished they'd merged w/NW instead of UA, but it didn't happen. UA flies where I need to go (SE Asia 6~9x per year).

The hiccups some are experience (I've had NO issues whatsoever) since 3/3 are going to be resolved & will soon be a distant memory.

There are a few things I'm unhappy with but none are going to make me move.