Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone jumping to DELTA or other yet?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Well, Delta is turning up the knobs on First Class upsells.

They just redid the booking pages on Delta.com. For many coach fare searches, the page will now display the discounted First Class fare in a column next to the coach fare. That ain't gonna help upgrade rates.

Delta plainly intends to buy off their elites with Economy Comfort, essentially Economy Plus. And they instituted the notorious 72 hour award ticket rule (no cancels or changes within 72 hours of departure.) You just never know when you are going to get an e-mail from Jeff Robertson with an unfriendly change that is blamed on bad customers.

For most of your folks, I would honestly suggest that you give it a chance and see how it all works out unless you are completely at the end of your rope. Unless you are thinking of trying for Exec PlAAt, which still seems very attractive.

David
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
Originally Posted by DiverDave

They just redid the booking pages on Delta.com. For many coach fare searches, the page will now display the discounted First Class fare in a column next to the coach fare. That ain't gonna help upgrade rates.

Delta plainly intends to buy off their elites with Economy Comfort, essentially Economy Plus. And they instituted the notorious 72 hour award ticket rule (no cancels or changes within 72 hours of departure.) You just never know when you are going to get an e-mail from Jeff Robertson with an unfriendly change that is blamed on bad customers.

For most of your folks, I would honestly suggest that you give it a chance and see how it all works out unless you are completely at the end of your rope. Unless you are thinking of trying for Exec PlAAt, which still seems very attractive.

David
That is what I have noticed...^^^ and been saying that all along - since 1/1.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT

Yes .... and no.

I just did a sample search for a SFO - LHR flight on Delta. Yes, the First class fare shows up right next to the Economy fare .... but you're talking about a price differential of $4,000 or more for First. Your average Kayaker is not going to bite on that. Not even close.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura
I just did a sample search for a SFO - LHR flight on Delta. Yes, the First class fare shows up right next to the Economy fare .... but you're talking about a price differential of $4,000 or more for First. Your average Kayaker is not going to bite on that. Not even close.
Try some domestic searches. The P fares are often very close to the lowest available coach fare for close-in travel.

They have been there for a while, but were not displayed so prominently. (Previously you had to mouse over a link and a pop-up would show you the discounted FC fare.)

David
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
There is no way in the world that I would ever return to DL. If folks want to leave United because they want a better hard product, one can make an argument for DL (not giving my opinion one way or another). BUT, for all the 1Ks that believe that they will get better treatment through SM than in MP, truly that is not the case.

Safe Travels.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

I dunno. Sounds like a solid business decision to me. We've been saying for a long time "if you want to sit in first buy it". I guess this would eliminate (for me anyway) checking discounted F fares to see if the cost is negligible. Most people won't bit but some will depending on the fares.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GTITAN
There is no way in the world that I would ever return to DL. If folks want to leave United because they want a better hard product, one can make an argument for DL (not giving my opinion one way or another). BUT, for all the 1Ks that believe that they will get better treatment through SM than in MP, truly that is not the case.

Safe Travels.
+1.
You've got to be utterly nuts to switch to customer fleecing constantly lying and cheating world of DL. And if you do - you truly deserve what you will get.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA MM
I returned Friday from Manila, Business First on DL (company preferred vendor). I wasn't impressed. I need 39K more miles for Million Miler on UA, I'll stick with it and be happy. No more airline hopping for me.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MCTUBBS
I returned Friday from Manila, Business First on DL (company preferred vendor). I wasn't impressed. I need 39K more miles for Million Miler on UA, I'll stick with it and be happy. No more airline hopping for me.
You means UA BusinessFirst or DL BusinessElite?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by navi-c
I've been considering AA due to eVIPs being valid on any fare class... I think that would make more sense than DL (unless your in ATL, MSP, SLC..). The grass is always greener...
I'm considering AA for this very same reason. I'm also considering it because of the terrible service being provided by the PMUA employees these days. I left UA twice because of this, and it does not appear to have gotten any better. The merger forced me to give these employees another chance, but, despite what one might read on FT, there are still too many "I hate my job" FAs and GAs out there.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Having to transit via ATL frequently is enough for me to consider anyone but Doesn't Even Leave The Airport (Delta). The only other airport I avoid more often is LAX.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Our next trip will be on AA for several reasons.....

I am tired of the repeated delays experienced by Colgan Air/UAEx when I have to fly on either the Q400 or Saab 340 LFT-IAH. We have less UAEx ERJ service now LFT-IAH as UA has been replacing RJ flights with Colgan-operated turboprops. This is not my idea of a fun way to travel to and from the hub.

AA Eagle on the other hand has four ERJ flights a day LFT-DFW. So we are going to try them as we've not flown AA in awhile. I have virtually no AAdvantage miles but I do have a substantial number of BA Avios so that's where my miles earned on AA will accumulate.

We will be heading to the Grenadines to go sailing so our itinerary will be LFT-DFW-MIA-GND on AA. I looked at flying UA LFT-IAH-SJU or LFT-IAH-POS with connecting service to/from GND on another carrier and the fares were much higher. Award availability was not the best, either. AA also operates a 738 into GND from MIA, so we will not have to deal with connecting turboprop service on another airline into GND as well......and I will be able to upgrade us to the front cabin on all AA mainline flights on our itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.