Search

No more apology emails?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2012, 1:49 pm
ctp
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS, HH-D, MR-P, Hz-PC
No more apology emails?

Second flight since integration, UA5749 SAV-IAD was listed as delayed 2 hours starting about 3 hours before scheduled departure. Check the mobile app I see that the inbound (also UA5749, IAD-SAV) on a mechanical delay, estimated 2 hours.

Annoying, but not the end of the world, they have nice lounges for such a small airport.

We end up boarding in a mad rush as they try and do the 20 minute "turn and burn". After we finish boarding, the pilot lets us know the plane is on a mechanical and has to go through an inspection and sign off before each departure. We ended up sitting in the plane for another 45 minutes waiting for the mechanics and getting the plane signed off.

End result was 3 hours late arrival at IAD.

It used to be that you would immediately get an "apology" email from united and a link to go select your apology gift ($200 e-cert or miles).

Thought I read something earlier in the week about these going away, but I haven't been able to find the thread again. Really too bad if these are gone as it always helped make those delay inconveniences less painful.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Surprise! My experience w/ PMCO is that way. uA proactively apologized and gave compensation, CO.. Well, they'll get back to you in 4 months.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by demkr
[SIZE=1]CO.. Well, they'll get back to you in 4 months.
Only if you write a letter in the first place.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it's any consolation, in 15 years of flying UA I have received maybe 2 unsolicited apology letters from UA.

Last edited by Baze; Mar 10, 2012 at 5:01 pm Reason: Fix a typo
Old Mar 10, 2012, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Got an unsolicited email from UA this past week for a flight over cutover weekend.

It came from "PACPRUreply <UnitedApology AT united dot com>

Dear FS,

I regret to learn about the inconvenience you had experienced on flight
number xx on March xx.

I am sure it was disappointing.

While we can not make up for the inconvenience that you had experienced,
in an effort to express our sincere apologies, I would like to present
you with an electronic travel certificate worth $200. To redeem your
certificate on united.com and ensure the value is calculated properly,
please enter the certificate number on the home page Fare Finder box or
on the Create Itinerary: Shop for flights screen located under Planning
Travel. Your certificate will only be redeemed if you select Purchase.

As a 1K member of our Mileage Plus Program, you are especially important
to United. And we'll do our best to see that your future flights with
us match our standards for quality travel experiences.

Regards,

xxx xxx
United Airlines Customer Care
Old Mar 10, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Can't say I've seen any proactive emails. Writing an email usually get some response...usually. I have instances on DL where there is a supervisor standing at the gate on arrival handing out travel vouchers to every passenger...I forget the amount but it was more the thought that counts.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
I wrote about these on Sunday, they come from Corporate, but apparently reservations and UA airport cannot issue these any longer... which sucks because on the 3rd in NRT I was promised one for being downgraded E- full row to E- mixed row because of a sick passenger, though there were other 1 passenger rows with non-elite passengers, for some reason they decided to wake me up and move me.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by EdWort
Don'tbother with an Email, it is a waste of time. I was promised bonus miles for problems twice this year and neither has posted.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Surprise! My experience w/ PMCO is that way. uA proactively apologized and gave compensation, CO.. Well, they'll get back to you in 4 months.
if ever.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Originally Posted by EdWort
Don'tbother with an Email, it is a waste of time. I was promised bonus miles for problems twice this year and neither has posted.
Yeah....I had a seat stuck upright on a full fare biz class flight EWR-LAX. Wrote succinctly twice this month on old CO.com.

Not even an acknowledgement.

Maybe will try 1k Voice. Not hoping for much.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Yeah....I had a seat stuck upright on a full fare biz class flight EWR-LAX. Wrote succinctly twice this month on old CO.com.

Not even an acknowledgement.

Maybe will try 1k Voice. Not hoping for much.
PMUA was always more preemptive than PMCO with regard to resolving issues related to poor Customer experiences.

It costs UA minimal money up front to offer a travel cert or miles and they reap the dividend of the Customer thinking UA actually cares.

In the long run, I don't vpcare if United is the biggest airline, I care if it's the best airline. Now that the entity is merged, I hope that The "new' united will pick up some of the "old" United's Customer Sevice.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: UAL 1K (1.6 Million Miles), Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Got an unsolicited email from UA this past week for a flight over cutover weekend.

It came from "PACPRUreply <UnitedApology AT united dot com>
I got one of these emails today, approx 2 months after my flight. I nearly deleted it, because it looked like SPAM. The subject line of the email was:

Re: Scan (and a series of numbers)

On my flight, the power outlet in my Business First seat did not work on a Transatlantic flight. The Flight Attendant gave me a card to fill out and said United would contact me with some sort of recompense.

Frankly I'd forgotten all about it. My email doesn't say what the $$$ amount will be, just that I will get a separate email in 5 days with the Travel Certificate.

Honestly, 2 months to reply -- are they that far behind??? And it has no United logo at all on the email -- it just looks like randomly typed text.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by smat
I got one of these emails today, approx 2 months after my flight. I nearly deleted it, because it looked like SPAM. The subject line of the email was:

Re: Scan (and a series of numbers)

On my flight, the power outlet in my Business First seat did not work on a Transatlantic flight. The Flight Attendant gave me a card to fill out and said United would contact me with some sort of recompense.

Frankly I'd forgotten all about it. My email doesn't say what the $$$ amount will be, just that I will get a separate email in 5 days with the Travel Certificate.

Honestly, 2 months to reply -- are they that far behind??? And it has no United logo at all on the email -- it just looks like randomly typed text.
Did you mail it in or did the FA? If the FA did, it could've been their delay in sending it on to WHQ which resulted in the downline delay.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Anyone who takes this advice may actually lose out on compensation. It's worked for me.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Anyone who takes this advice may actually lose out on compensation. It's worked for me.
Agreed. That's about the worst advice I've ever seen on FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.