Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United mobile app changes/questions/issues post 3 March

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Sounds like you're owed downgrade comp.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Booked SEA-DEN and sat at #1 on the upgrade list from 24h through boarding.
Did this happen yesterday by any chance? If so I think I was on that flight.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Agreed.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FortFun
Did this happen yesterday by any chance? If so I think I was on that flight.
Yes, that was the 526pm departure - were you on my flight?

How would I go about requesting downgrade compensation? I have the screenshots from the site and mobile app, but when I checked the site upon arrival in DEN, my name had been taken off the upgrade list.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Yes, that was the 526pm departure - were you on my flight?
I was indeed! Small world. I was comfortably ensconced in 12A, so I had a view of the situation. I was thinking to myself --"that poor guy got turfed out of F and he was so close"
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FortFun
I was indeed! Small world. I was comfortably ensconced in 12A, so I had a view of the situation. I was thinking to myself --"that poor guy got turfed out of F and he was so close"
I did enjoy my 6 minutes of comfort

I was thinking about downgrade or shenanigans, but if the rightful owner of the seat (she was not an upgrade) showed up, I didn't want to file a complaint and make an issue that would get back to the airport team and make them less likely to process upgrades in the future - not my intention. The agent did the right thing, the customer was in the wrong and should have been at the airport on time or been prepared to forfeit their seat.

Do I contact one our Insiders for the downgrade comp or just go through customer service? Never done this before.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
This was not a connection - there was no excuse for getting to the gate that late....they seat should have been taken and assigned if they didn't board within 10 minutes of departure and boarding was complete (and it was).
How do you know it was not a connection as the flight was at 530pm (not 6am). That is an assumption, no? She could have been connecting from a UX flight or even AS or another airline.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....This was not a connection - there was no excuse for getting to the gate that late........
not sure how you determined this or determined there was not a reason beyond the other passenger's control?

Originally Posted by stevenshev
not sure if the PDA site is considered a formal notification -- or a formal BP.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

What are you planning on asking for in terms of comp for this? Most you should get is difference between paid class and seated class. Have fun with that $0.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've have two primary issues with the app.

First, occasionally a boarding pass won't appear. Sometimes this happens right away, so I only see one of two on the final check in page. Other times it shows up there, but doesn't appear on the home page, so is "lost".

Second, and this one is repeatable, is an issue with flight status alerts. If I set an alert in the Eastern time zone, when I turn my phone back on in ORD the alert has been modified to be for the prior day (same flight). Apparently it doesn't handle a time zone change very well.

I haven't figured out how to delete a flight status alert; is that possible? On days like last Thursday when I had three separate flights that I was booked/protected on, it was annoying to get continual updates when my itinerary finally solidified.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by wizzy
I haven't figured out how to delete a flight status alert; is that possible? On days like last Thursday when I had three separate flights that I was booked/protected on, it was annoying to get continual updates when my itinerary finally solidified.
If you are using the iOS app, you will delete a flight status alert in the same manner you would delete an email...slide your finger left to right and click delete.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
How do you know it was not a connection as the flight was at 530pm (not 6am). That is an assumption, no? She could have been connecting from a UX flight or even AS or another airline.
Connection options at SEA are very limited unless you're going AS-AS. I've never heard of anyone connecting at SEA for UA flights, nor have I ever seen a routing that connects at SEA - everything in the region connects at SFO.

The airline posts a 10 minute cutoff - if you're not onboard or in line to board, the seat is lost. I wouldn't expect my seat to be held in the same circumstances and there are countless instances posted on this forum where a late arriving customer lost their seat assignment and was told to take another seat. She got lucky because the inbound was delayed, which pushed back boarding and departure - if we boarded and left on time, the upgrade would have stuck.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by controller1

Your statement could be very misleading. It is best to say that if the mobile app provides a mobile boarding pass for a particular airport, then you can be assured the TSA checkpoint has the capacity to scan it. I can name numerous "tiny" airports without the ability to scan a mobile boarding pass at a TSA checkpoint.
Well the worst case scenario is you have to print a boarding pass at a kiosk-- but at least you are already checked in.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Connection options at SEA are very limited unless you're going AS-AS. I've never heard of anyone connecting at SEA for UA flights, nor have I ever seen a routing that connects at SEA - everything in the region connects at SFO.

The airline posts a 10 minute cutoff - if you're not onboard or in line to board, the seat is lost. I wouldn't expect my seat to be held in the same circumstances and there are countless instances posted on this forum where a late arriving customer lost their seat assignment and was told to take another seat. She got lucky because the inbound was delayed, which pushed back boarding and departure - if we boarded and left on time, the upgrade would have stuck.
You can fly SEA-PDX on UX, it is on an EMB-120. I've done it in the past. It was signifigantly cheaper to do it that way than to fly MKE-ORD/DEN-(maybe SFO)-PDX. The flight to ANC also has a stop in SEA. I'm assuming that there may be instances where it is more cost effective or time efficient to make the connection there as well.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 6:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by USFdonWill
If you are using the iOS app, you will delete a flight status alert in the same manner you would delete an email...slide your finger left to right and click delete.
Slightly embarrassed to admit I didn't know this..that's not how I delete my emails! Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.