Puzzling upgrade status

Old Mar 10, 12, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Puzzling upgrade status

Flying round trip PDX-TPE starting on March 17th (Saturday). Original booking was B fare economy upgrade availability is showing the following:
Flight: UA837
Aircraft: Boeing 747-400
Fare Class: United Economy (W)

Available Cabins: F4 FN4 A0 ON0 O0 J6 JN6 C6 D0 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B8 M8 E8 U8 H8 HN8 Q7 V7 W5 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N0 XN0 X0

I booked the trip on 2/20 on a economy B fare and applied a SWU immediately. I am 1K and still wait-listed. Is this normal? Perhaps this is just an unusually full flight for a Saturday but I thought that if there was inventory a B-fare with SWU for 1K status would clear immediately.

I really care about this one as I am turning from a MUC-PDX at 8:30 the night before this departs. I guess I am suprised that there is NO upgrade availability whatsoever showing for the flight although the seatmap has empty Biz seats
Old Mar 10, 12, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by royehill View Post
Available Cabins: F4 FN4 A0 ON0 O0 J6 JN6 C6 D0 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B8 M8 E8 U8 H8 HN8 Q7 V7 W5 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N0 XN0 X0

I booked the trip on 2/20 on a economy B fare and applied a SWU immediately. I am 1K and still wait-listed. Is this normal? Perhaps this is just an unusually full flight for a Saturday but I thought that if there was inventory a B-fare with SWU for 1K status would clear immediately.
If there was upgrade inventory then it would clear immediately. But the inventory you need is for R or RN (I bolded them above) and that is at nil right now so you're waitlisted.
Old Mar 10, 12, 8:17 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-FO, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
If there was upgrade inventory then it would clear immediately. But the inventory you need is for R or RN (I bolded them above) and that is at nil right now so you're waitlisted.
Business availability is actually fairly low for a 747 flight a week out. I would not expect any upgrades to be cleared until the day of the flight. (You could be pleasantly surprised, but I wouldn't EXPECT to get an upgrade processed before that.)

Also, B-fares for domestic flights can be upgraded at the time of ticketing with only slightly reduced availability vs regular F (you don't need R availability for those CPUs for Premier members), but for international flights you need R availability as stated by SBM12.
Old Mar 10, 12, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why does the OP's Fare Class say United Economy (W) if the OP purchased a B fare? Is there a codeshare or something involved?
Old Mar 10, 12, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I guess I just found it a bit odd that a Saturday flight to Narita would be that full but it appears the same situation is on the LAX flights as well. It will be nice if I clear at the 96 hour window.

MSPEconomist,
I was just using the expert mode on united.com to see what the availability was. I did book B fare and on my itinerary it shows six seats remaining in Biz but I'm waitlisted

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 10, 12 at 9:08 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 10, 12, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, HHonors Gold, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Can someone explain to a rookie 1K how you pull up the cabin availability list that the OP posted?
Old Mar 10, 12, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Xianrocker,
That was accomplished using a greasemonkey script for the chrome browser detailed in the following link:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...w-on-steroids/
Old Mar 10, 12, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Plat 2.2MM, AA nobody, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by xianrocker View Post
Can someone explain to a rookie 1K how you pull up the cabin availability list that the OP posted?
Just click on the fare class link on the right when you make a reservation (or a dummy one)
Old Mar 10, 12, 8:51 am
Original Poster

The script I referenced simply shows the availability in Chrome without clicking the link
Old Mar 10, 12, 9:43 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=22732

I try to fly mid week, Monday through Thursday.
Old Mar 10, 12, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by royehill View Post
Thanks for the responses. I guess I just found it a bit odd that a Saturday flight to Narita would be that full but it appears the same situation is on the LAX flights as well. It will be nice if I clear at the 96 hour window.

MSPEconomist,
I was just using the expert mode on united.com to see what the availability was. I did book B fare and on my itinerary it shows six seats remaining in Biz but I'm waitlisted
Many people flying xUSA to Asia on business travel fly on Saturday so they have an extra day to hit the ground running. Exactly the opposite of domestic flying patterns. And, it only takes a small group of 5-6 people flying together to a meeting to wipe out ordinarily-available premium seats on routes which are authorized for premium fares by many businesses.
Old Mar 10, 12, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD, MR-SPG PP, HH Dia, WoH Glob
I agree that J6 is not a lot of seats (for sale) at this stage one week away from the actual flight. Some people may have purchased fully refundable business class seats and may cancel, and a few people in business will get upgraded to first. However, this is looking like you will have to wait for a battlefield airport upgrade. Just beware, many upgrades requests are dropping off at the 24 hour mark and not being added to the airport upgrade list. I am sure United is aware of this, but not sure if they are doing anything about it. This bug can go for you or against you, depending on if your reservation is dropped or if other people's reservations are being dropped.
Old Mar 10, 12, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Seeing that you are on a B fare, I assume that it is flexible. (Yes I know, B often carries change fees....)

On the 17th, UA has upgradable space SFO-KIX. You can then connect to NH KIX-TPE.

TG has space LAX-BKK (though that may be a bit out of the way).
Old Mar 10, 12, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Flying round trip PDX-TPE starting on March 17th (Saturday). Original booking was B fare economy upgrade availability is showing the following:
Flight: UA837
Aircraft: Boeing 747-400
Fare Class: United Economy (W)
Which fare did you purchased B or W?
Old Mar 11, 12, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, HHonors Gold, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
What is the difference between R and RN? I noticed several other fare buckets also have N's following the fare class identifier

Search this Thread