Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

'Airport Passenger Duty' (APD) fee now required to waitlist ex-UK with GPUs!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

'Airport Passenger Duty' (APD) fee now required to waitlist ex-UK with GPUs!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Air passenger duty. APD, not ADP.

There are two rates, standard and premium cabins. It could be that you're seeing a higher rate in effect than applied at the time of C ticketing.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: Some, not all.
APD went up by £10 on 1st April to £130, so would not account for UA charging another $61
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
Strange. . . I booked an award ticket that includes a first-class segment on UA from LHR to ORD. The only U.K.-related fee I was charged (I booked a couple months ago) was $40.80 U.K. Passenger Service Charge.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Air passenger duty. APD, not ADP.
Well, that explains why my searches failed!

Just called UA, and they say it is a new Luxury Tax, which is applied whenever any upgrade occurs, even C to F. I escalated to a supervisor, and the supervisor confirmed this. Sounds wrong to me. Anyone else seen this?

Mods: probably should combine this with the existing thread: here
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
So, I have a LHR-SFO on Tuesday this week, upgrade cleared from Y to C with a PMUA SWU at booking time which was well before 3/3. AFAIK PMUA didn't charge me an increased rate APD at booking /upgrade time. Am I going to get asked to pay the difference in APD at checkin, or as it was all done and dusted pre 3/3 and pre the new UK Rules in April will I dodge it on this occasion?

TIA,
Andy
Old Apr 29, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by blueman2
I am in C going from SFO-LHR-SFO. Upgraded with GPU to F, and was promptly charged $61 by UA. I think this is the departure tax for any upper cabin flight leaving UK. I thought the ADP tax was same for all premium cabins, so I should not be charge going from C to F?

I thought there was a thread on this, but could not find even using google search for the TLAs (ADP/LHR). Redirect me there if this has been covered.

BTW, this flight would end my embargo of UA. I am doing this on the understanding from UA that they will be addressing the pre-merger UA 1MM devaluation, per Martin Hand. Let's see if I am foolish to trust UA!
This same thing happened to me when I tried to upgrade online (first time since merger on a GPU)- I cancelled it and called the GS desk and they never mentioned anything of a fee. I bet it's one of the many glitches.

I was in a D fare upgrading to F so lowest biz fare allowable for upgrade FWIW
Old Apr 29, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: If only all those cards were made from the precious metals and gemstones they claim to be.
Originally Posted by Skymonster
So, I have a LHR-SFO on Tuesday this week, upgrade cleared from Y to C with a PMUA SWU at booking time which was well before 3/3. AFAIK PMUA didn't charge me an increased rate APD at booking /upgrade time. Am I going to get asked to pay the difference in APD at checkin, or as it was all done and dusted pre 3/3 and pre the new UK Rules in April will I dodge it on this occasion?

TIA,
Andy
I had a similar situation. SWU applied and confirmed long before 3/3 for a flight in April. I got a call two days after the flight (at 5am central time? Seriously?) asking me to pay the difference. I argued for as long as I could but I was told in no uncertain terms that I would not be allowed to board my return flight (regular Y, no SWUs applied) if I didn't cough up. I think it was about $150.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I got so sick of Heathrow (reasons other than this) that I stopped flying in and out of there (I know some people don't have a choice). In my last 100 flights between the US and Europe, none have been in or out of Heathrow. It is their loss. I use to go there a lot.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Skymonster

TIA,
Andy
I just flew LHR-IAD Early April. Upgrade had cleared with PMUA SWU before 3/3 as well. I was not asked to pay the difference in APD @ checkin @ LHR. I even did a SDC to my Domestic connections @ LHR with Checking desk. Was not asked to pay any APD differential for the upgrade LHR-IAD.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by London Control
I had a similar situation. SWU applied and confirmed long before 3/3 for a flight in April. I got a call two days after the flight (at 5am central time? Seriously?) asking me to pay the difference. I argued for as long as I could but I was told in no uncertain terms that I would not be allowed to board my return flight (regular Y, no SWUs applied) if I didn't cough up. I think it was about $150.
Yet another similar case. Sponsored a Y to C upgrade SFO-ORD-LHR last week and LHR-LAX-SFO next week (same itinerary). Just got a voicemail this morning from UA asking for an extra $126/person. Sponsored 2 pax. Have not called back yet but got similar warning.
Old May 3, 2012, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
So apparantly this applies to connecting flights as well:

Where a passenger travels in the lowest class of travel on a flight from a UK airport that subsequently connects (see provisions outlined above and in section 4) to a flight where they are not in the lowest class of travel, then the standard rate of APD will apply.

For example:

Where a passenger takes
Economy class flight to Paris

and connects to
‘Business’ class flight to New York

duty is payable at
Standard rate (Band B)
Originally Posted by blueman2
Well, that explains why my searches failed!

Just called UA, and they say it is a new Luxury Tax, which is applied whenever any upgrade occurs, even C to F. I escalated to a supervisor, and the supervisor confirmed this. Sounds wrong to me. Anyone else seen this?

Mods: probably should combine this with the existing thread: here
That is definitly incorrect. See: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...ument#P27_1984

Specifically:

Reduced rate from:
(for travel in the lowest class of travel available on the aircraft)

Standard rate from:
(for travel in any other class of travel)*
There are only two APD rates. Lowest and Standard. Your reciept for your paid C booking should show you already paid the standard rate.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 3, 2012 at 3:28 pm Reason: merge
Old May 4, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM, HHonors Gold
Flyer beware: Airport Passenger Duty on upgrades to/from UK incorrectly charged

A couple of days ago I booked a return flight from California to London Heathrow, doing the appropriate research to find "R" upgrade availability.

After buying the ticket online I decided to call the 1K reservations desk to try to expedite clearing the upgrades (GPU) as the return was only R2 and I did not want the inventory to evaporate while I waited an indeterminate amount of time for ticketing.

While talking with the agent she noticed that my name as it appeared on the PNR was mangled due to my name details having been badly imported from the old MileagePlus system (something I'd been resolving to call MP about and get fixed and have subsequently done). She decided (wisely) to re-issue the reservation and then process the upgrades.

First surprise was the Airport Passenger Duty that we now have to pay when upgrading UK flights - about $100 extra.... another "Change I will like"

Second surprise was that she charged me this fee BOTH WAYS, presumably guided by some system prompts. Since this was the first time I'd run into APD I simply agreed to the extra charge.

Then I did some research on the UK Customs website and learned that APD only applies to flights LEAVING the UK, not inbound. So I had been overcharged.

It took two hours of calls to 1K reservations, the refund desk (could not help), back to 1K reservations and eventually I had to hang up as I had work commitments. Credit to the 1K reservations agent, she called me back on my cellphone 20 minutes later apologizing profusely for leaving me on hold so long and telling me they would reissue the ticket, preserve my upgrades and credit the $100 overcharge to my CC.

If you have upgraded on round trip flights to the UK recently you might want to check that you did not get overcharged - especially if you upgraded through an agent.

To make matters worse, if you look at your receipt you will see the cost of the ticket and then another line for additional taxes/fees. In my example the sum total of the individual taxes/fees did not add up to the actual total - there was a missing $205 that reflected the two extra APD's that had been levied, so unless you take the time to get out the calculator you might not actually detect you've been overcharged.

Oh, and to add insult to injury they took 4 GPU's instead of two, so I had to have reservations fix that also.

I don't feel ill-will for any of the reservation agents I worked with here, it is clear they are still working with a defective system with incorrect business logic and ill-defined workflow. I do feel pretty pi**ed off that I had to spend the best part of 3 hours on the phone to book, upgrade and then fix a load of problems when I could have done the same thing error free in February of this year.
Old May 4, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Welcome to the UK
Old May 4, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Welcome to the UK
Actually I'm an expat Brit and have been flying to the UK using SWU's for upgrades for 13 years... never been charged a penny until this week.

I really question whether it is required for the higher rate of APD to be levied as the UK Customs website clearly states that if the upgrade is at no cost to the passenger the lower rate of APD applies... and SWU's have zero monetary value.

Another interesting point on this is that based on my reading of the APD regulations, folks upgrading from E- to E+ should should also have to pay an extra $100... maybe they do, I've never been in that situation.
Old May 4, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by MartinHaworth
Actually I'm an expat Brit and have been flying to the UK using SWU's for upgrades for 13 years... never been charged a penny until this week.
We just grabbed a SWU/GPU upgrade for flights from LHR to the US in July when the R availability opened up, and had the same thing happen. (This was through the website.) I also thought we weren't to be charged tax on non-monetary upgrades, especially since we never had been before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.