Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

'Airport Passenger Duty' (APD) fee now required to waitlist ex-UK with GPUs!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

'Airport Passenger Duty' (APD) fee now required to waitlist ex-UK with GPUs!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 2P
None shall escape the UK taxman.

That said, it should have been disclosed at the time of purchase. If it wasn't I would raise a stink.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Executive
Unfortunately I don't have screenshots of the purchase page, but I'm certain I was approving a flat $300 charge and 20,000 miles. I suppose it will be fun to convince United of this.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ito717
but didn't think it applied on trips TO the UK.
It doesn't. You're owed a refund.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I logged on to upgrade a one-way LHR-SFO flight in two weeks with a GPU (was SWU). It would be waitlisted. The charge for Airport Passenger Duty was $61. What is the process of getting a refund of this fee due if the upgrade does not clear?

I hope it's not what Judge Smails said in Caddyshack ... "you'll get nothing and like it!"

Last edited by BangkokTraveler; Apr 9, 2012 at 4:57 pm
Old Apr 9, 2012, 5:05 pm

Fwiw i've never been charged an increased APD for AC upgrades and i've always wondered why. I think Skyteem's explanation combined with the language that was quoted earlier makes it pretty clear. I'm glad to finally understand why the discrepancy.

It does seem like new UA and AA are needlessly incurring this extra tax for their passengers by reissuing the tickets and I wonder if they realize that they're putting themselves at such a disadvantage. I guess it hardly matters given the value of the upgrades.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: United 1K 2 million miler Starwood Marriott Hilton
SWU did not clear LHR/EWR Jan 5 still waiting for $61

I had to email to get the SWU redeposited after 6 weeks but still waiting for the $61 after about 4 emails!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Is this upgrade APD fee charged for connecting itineraries as well or just itineraries starting within the UK? For example, I have an itinerary of DUB-LHR-SFO, will United still charge me the additional APD to use a SWU from LHR to SFO?
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Thanks. Has anyone verified this using united.com to see if this avoids the APD charge? I understand this is the UK law, but who knows what methodology united.com is using to charge passengers for use the SWU. We've learned United's programming on united.com has been less than robust.
I have a GVA-LHR-ORD flight and when using a GPU online it's charging me $61 for the APD (on one ticket). I thought that this wasn't applicable as I'm not originating from the UK. I called UA and they said basically to pound sand as it's what the computer says...

Anyone have any luck getting this reversed?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:43 pm

Programs: 1K-whatever it worth
New surcharge ransom for GPU upgrade?

We bought a RT ticket from LON-SFO and on one leg it's W fare.
Trying to apply GPU couldn't find any link on reservation page. Called to UACO 1K line, find out there is no instant upgrade, can get on upgrade wait list but have to pay $105 tax surcharge in advance. Elevated to supervisor and was told that's a mandatory policy?!, if your flight originates from London and Paris that's what has been done for years! Have flown out of London on ungraded ticket and never was asked for ransom before.. Tried to search United thread but didn't find anything related to my issue. Is UACO trying to pull a fast one or it has been a long standing policy? BTW couldn't find any reference on UACO website to this surcharge either. Could that be hiding under "Other restrictions may apply" provision?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
I believe that business class / first class passengers flying out of London/Paris have to pay extra 'luxury travel / greenhouse gas emission' tax. United used to eat up this extra tax on upgraded passengers but they stopped doing this sometime within last 2 years. To be fair, American airlines also require upgrading passengers to pay this extra tax.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

This tax recently was increased. In the UK they call it the APD. Glad to see it isn't horrifically higher than what I paid on AA last 2 yrs-$90 or so. But it appears to be only getting higher
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
This does not seem to be UA's fault. An increase in the departure tax just took effect, and I believe the tax is even calculated based upon your class of service...so, yes, and upgrade means higher tax.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/departure-t...231042002.html
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
What has changed is that in the past UA would collect such fees when the upgrade cleared. Now this (and e.g., the copay on miles upgrade) get collected when you waitlist with the "promise" of being refunded if you don't clear. So you get the privilege of giving UA an interest free loan. It really is irksome if the flights in question are e.g., 10 months out. You have to remember to check then that they give you back your money. Another wonderful artifact of their modern computer system.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:08 am

Programs: UA PremExec
Originally Posted by pdx1M
What has changed is that in the past UA would collect such fees when the upgrade cleared. Now this (and e.g., the copay on miles upgrade) get collected when you waitlist with the "promise" of being refunded if you don't clear. So you get the privilege of giving UA an interest free loan. It really is irksome if the flights in question are e.g., 10 months out. You have to remember to check then that they give you back your money. Another wonderful artifact of their modern computer system.
Yes, this is the issue -- taking your money and keeping it for some time for a product UA MIGHT provide in the future with a promise to return (more slowly than it is taken) it if it is not provided. Is there any other business that does this?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pdx1M
I'd be somewhat okay with this if refunds actually posted promptly were UGs not to clear. But we know that's not the case.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:31 am

Programs: UA Plat 1MM
And...to take this argument a bit further...when you buy a >W fare with the hopes of GPU clearing, you pay a significant delta over S, T, L, etc. with NO HOPE of seeing those $$$ again. At least with the co-pay / departure tax, you might get a refund on your UA interest-free loan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.