Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How Do I Confirm Special Meals for my Flights?

How Do I Confirm Special Meals for my Flights?

Old May 6, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
With catering alignment, UA adopted the old CO policy. No special meals on domestic flights, with the exception of PS routes, Hawaii and EWR-LAX/SFO.
Old May 7, 2012, 1:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
We stop and pick up snacks for our daughter on the way to the airport. Not as convenient as the airline providing it, but certainly more reliable.
Old May 7, 2012, 7:04 am

Programs: United GS 3 MM LT, Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, HH LT Diamond
Thank you!

Now I know. This is not the worst change, we will adapt.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:15 pm

Has anyone here ordered/seen a UA child's meal in the past six months or so? I just called and had a child's meal successfully added (after 4 attempts) for the DEN-HNL leg of an upcoming trip, but I have no idea what it will be. I know that United used to offer McDonalds food for kids, but I don't if that was long, long ago - or if it is still their standard. Just curious. Thanks
Old Jun 5, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL SkyMiles
I have been looking at business class tickets for my folks to travel from BOM to IAD on UA.com and a lot of TATL flights say "No special meal offered". is it true for Business class? Why would I bother paying that kind of money if I can't book a veg. meal? Any insight if this is true?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Some HA flights no Specials?

On our LAX-LIH flight (FORMER UA Metal showing) says "No Special Meals" in F

The return we are doing OGG-LAX (FORMER UA Metal also) it DOES allow specials...

What's the story on this. Are some HA flights NOT able to get specials or is the website / res view wrong?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:31 pm

Special meals?

Hey guys
anyone know what is the current offering of a hindu meal on ORD-HNL?

also, if im connecting ORD-HNL (24 hour stop) then HNL-NRT next day also in united business, can I have a reg meal HNL-NRT, even though I did special meal ORD-HNL?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:04 am

Programs: UA Gold / *A Gold
As far as internatonal flights go (with possible exception of US/Canada and maybe US/Mexico and other medium haul flights to South America), the "no special meals available" notation has been part of PMCO for quite some time, but most of the time, the meals are served to me as requested.

That said, shortly after booking, I do the following:

1) If their is any thing irregular about the reservation, including a change of equipment, I'll tend to call again to confirm a day ahead of the flight (with more than 24 hours to do)
2) At checkin, I do ask the check in agent to verify if they have my meal. Esp. for international flights or on code shares, I ask for it by both name and code (VGML - vegan/strict/pure vegetarian in my case) I almost always check in person and not the kiosk as I am silver status and can, and since my passport has trouble being OCR scanned, I find it easier to just check in with a person.
3) If for some reason I don't fee confident that my meal will be served to me based on my conversation at check in, check with the gate agent
4) If still not comfortable, check with a F/A as a I board. I realize their is not much they can do at this point, but I think once or twice it has made a difference
5) If no meal after all that, I try to at least ask if they can sneak me a couple pieces of fruit from the front of the plane
6) In all cases, I always have something to eat, normally energy bars at a minimum. I think for most diets, you should be able to find some compact food to bring along. If you have special diet considerations, always a good idea as irregular operations can spoil your plans. I much rather eat something semi-healthy than having to eat the "junk" food options at the airport or airplane as my only choice.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 4:01 am

Programs: If only all those cards were made from the precious metals and gemstones they claim to be.
I'd recommend bringing extra snacks. My wife, a vegan, despite calling numerous times before each flight, has had to go without a meal on her last two transatlantic flights (both ways, 4x segments), one in C and one in F. Another one of the small but many issues they just cannot seem to get right.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Platinum
make sure if you are connecting to different metal (like LH), you call to confirm with that airline to make sure the meal is loaded. Even if you request it on both legs at the time of ticketing, it's easy for the request not to be forwarded by UA.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA GS & Marriott Titanium
Hi - can anyone comment on veg or Asian veg offerings in 2-cabin BF? Flying IAH-LHR and FRA-EWR in UA BF in the coming month. Are there separate (better) special meals for BF vs Y or is the special meal the same for all cabins? My wife is a lacto-ovo vegeterian and I understand this specific offering is not available on UA. In the past, in BF, I have noticed a veg pasta type offering on BF that would qualify as "lacto-ovo veg", but I'm not sure this is a 100% occurrence. If it is a 100% occurrence, do you think the FA's would "save" this option for my wife or do we need to hope it's available when he/she gets to us? Just trying to figure out whether it's better to (a) pre-order a meal, (b) chance it, or (c) can we pre-order and opt for a regular menu offering if more appetizing? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
UA's response to their not loading my vegetarian meal

I was flying F EWR-LAX. My vegetarian meal was not loaded, and by the time they got to me, only chicken or beef were left.

I wrote a reasonable letter (bottom). But the focus of the response was this:

To help us meet your expectations in the future, please submit special
meal requests 24 hours in advance. We will do our best to honor each
request. If you have specific dietary requirements, please consider
carrying your personal food choices onboard with you.

Well, I suppose there is truth to this!

Dear United,

I regret that I am writing once again with regard to lack of a
vegetarian option on my flight.

As United often has only meat options these days, I have been advised to
order special meals. Of course, this is only possible on international
flights as well as NYC-SFO/LAX.

Today, I am flying EWR-LAX in F. I ordered an Asian vegetarian meal.
It was not loaded. My only choice is beef or chicken.

I am so aggravated by United's meal service. I will continue to write
each time this happens. I hope things change soon.

Take care,

ZRS70
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Have you been requesting the special meal for each flight or depending on your profile settings?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Have you been requesting the special meal for each flight or depending on your profile settings?
Each flight! And the meals are almost always loaded. My earlier gripes were that UA no longer de facto has a vegetarian option. (Every other carrier seems to have a stated veggie option on the menu. Recently, I was in international F SFO-HKG on UA. The choices were chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp.)
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Originally Posted by zrs70
Each flight! And the meals are almost always loaded. My earlier gripes were that UA no longer de facto has a vegetarian option. (Every other carrier seems to have a stated veggie option on the menu. Recently, I was in international F SFO-HKG on UA. The choices were chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp.)
With the June 1 "updates" they are always *supposed* to have a "vegetarian-style pasta" in premium cabins: http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/2...od-with-flair/

On a recent trip, they had only meat/seafood options IAD-NRT but had a pasta option (circa domestic F 2010) coming back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.