Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Farelock
Preserve your fare and your peace of mind.FareLock℠ lets you hold your reserved fare and complete the purchase of your itinerary at a later time. Enjoy peace of mind that the price of your itinerary won't go up and that the flight won't sell out while you take your time with your purchase. Available only through united.com, the United app and the Customer Contact Center, FareLock allows you to reserve an itinerary and then complete your purchase later.

Itineraries can be held with FareLock for your choice of either three, seven or 14 days. The price of your itinerary is guaranteed during the hold period, until you decide to complete your purchase.
A FareLock is a reservation for space pending ticketing.

Why is farelock not offered at times?
FareLock is available on select flights operated by United and United Express (Star Alliance® flights and marketed codeshare flights are not eligible).
Also, only fares that would be valid at the future purchase time, such as due to advance purchase (AP) requirements, can be farelocked. So if looking at 21 day AP ticket, 22 days before the applicable segment neither a 3 day or 7 day farelock will be available.

FareLock is available on flights operated by United and United Express® only, and the charge is per reservation. FareLock is also offered for both Saver and Everyday Award tickets on United- and United Express-operated flights.

Farelock fees are not refunded even under the 24 hour ticket cancellation rule.

Fareock reservations cannot be changed until after you have purchased the reservation.

If you do not purchase your ticket before your Farelock period expires, your reservation will be canceled unless you have selected the automatic purchase option. The 24 hour cancellation clock does not start until the actual purchase is made.

Caveats

Per the CoC, UA reserves the right to cancel reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities. There have been multiple reports of UA exercising this option to cancel duplicate FareLock segments conflicting with either another FareLock reservation or with a ticketed reservation, often making the remainder of the FareLock (if any) unticketable. Generally, unticketed segments will be canceled over ticketed segments, and older bookings will be canceled over more recent bookings if ticket status is identical. UA does not automatically refund the FareLock service charge if this happens, but it is possible to call in and ask for the refund.

You can purchase your Farelock online using Payment methods (credit card, for example), and there's an option button for CERTIFICATES. Note that this seems to only allow ETC and not FFC (future flight credit vs. "certificate" which have a 10-digit number). You *may* be able to call United and have an agent convert your FFC into an ETC and then apply that to the Farelock so you can purchase over the phone, but this is not guaranteed.

Archive thread: Farelock - Questions/Answers/Experiences {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Farelock - Questions/Answers/Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, SW AL/CP
I used FareLock for a round trip flight and I'm going to end up only needing the outbound leg. Does anyone know if it's possible to either book just one leg of a farelock'd itinerary, or if I book the whole thing can I drop a leg and get a refund within 24 hours?
Old Aug 13, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by chutchins
I used FareLock for a round trip flight and I'm going to end up only needing the outbound leg. Does anyone know if it's possible to either book just one leg of a farelock'd itinerary, or if I book the whole thing can I drop a leg and get a refund within 24 hours?
I think No and No.

Either strategy would trigger a reprice in my opinion. For the 2nd option your refund would be the difference between what you paid and the new 1 way fare.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 8:16 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
So I have a fare locked Polaris reservation LAX-EWR. Appears that the flight I fare locked is no longer operating on that day. All of the other LAX-EWR flights are much more expensive than the late flight I farelocked. Farelock still shows the off-schedule flight. If I go ahead and purchase now, will united.com ticket the reservation and then allow me to change to another LAX-EWR flight in Polaris that day?
I have the same thing here, basically. And sorry to KosherKimchee that your question didn't get answered...Hoping for better luck here from my fellow FTers!

Booked an international flight 2 days ago on a route that was offering flights 2X daily. With tonight being a schedule change night (Wednesday), overnight, my flight has just had all inventory dropped except J9. (Even C0 D0 P0, etc.) I'm confident this flight is going to fall off the schedule tonight. I was waiting until after Jan 1 to actually book the ticket, but will UA still honor my fare if it does indeed go 1X daily and I get moved to the other flight? I'm fine with either schedule, but just want to make sure I'm protected, and since it was a 14-day Farelock, it's not something I'm interested in buying again--unless y'all think I have to.

Thanks for any quick advice!
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I have the same thing here, basically. And sorry to KosherKimchee that your question didn't get answered...Hoping for better luck here from my fellow FTers!

Booked an international flight 2 days ago on a route that was offering flights 2X daily. With tonight being a schedule change night (Wednesday), overnight, my flight has just had all inventory dropped except J9. (Even C0 D0 P0, etc.) I'm confident this flight is going to fall off the schedule tonight. I was waiting until after Jan 1 to actually book the ticket, but will UA still honor my fare if it does indeed go 1X daily and I get moved to the other flight? I'm fine with either schedule, but just want to make sure I'm protected, and since it was a 14-day Farelock, it's not something I'm interested in buying again--unless y'all think I have to.

Thanks for any quick advice!
Sorry, not quick advice since posted a week ago but to circle back to my post, I indeed was able to ticket the fare locked flight that was no longer operating and then several days later had a notification that I was rebooked on another LAX-EWR Polaris flight. It wasn't my preferred flight time and UA let me change to a different LAX-EWR flight that day gratis. All was a bargain based on my cheap farelock.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 9:11 am

"Express Checkout"

When trying to book a ticket this morning, I was taken straight to "express checkout." I haven't seen this before. What is that? I actually wanted to put the ticket on "hold" (lock the fare), but wasn't given that option. The flight would be on 1/26. Does the date of departure mean fare lock was not available?
Old Jan 20, 2023, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Since the flight is less than a week away, you may be out of luck. From https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../farelock.html "FareLock is subject to availability" and "FareLock is available on select flights" (emphasis added). Web searches also indicate it's not available within 17 days of departure.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 10:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mmthomps
When trying to book a ticket this morning, I was taken straight to "express checkout." I haven't seen this before. What is that? I actually wanted to put the ticket on "hold" (lock the fare), but wasn't given that option. The flight would be on 1/26. Does the date of departure mean fare lock was not available?
Yes, farelocks are subject to fare rules and expiration / advance purchase requirements of fares
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 1:28 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Is it possible to apply travel certificates towards the payment of a reservation held by FareLock?

I'm afraid that I will only be offered credit card payment. Couldn't find anything on the website.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:11 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
Quick Question - I have an upcoming BOS - LHR flight "Farelocked" (is that now a verb?) and will purchase it tomorrow (Polaris, if that makes any difference). I would like to change the date to return one day later than originally planned. As I understand it, I need to purchase the ticket before any changes. But AFTER I have purchased the ticket, it is possible to change the date, this is assuming the same fare is available a day later? Just making sure as I also understand (I think) that the 24 hour cancel/change rule is NOT in effect with a Farelocked Fare . . ? THANKS!
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
Quick Question - I have an upcoming BOS - LHR flight "Farelocked" (is that now a verb?) and will purchase it tomorrow (Polaris, if that makes any difference). I would like to change the date to return one day later than originally planned. As I understand it, I need to purchase the ticket before any changes. But AFTER I have purchased the ticket, it is possible to change the date, this is assuming the same fare is available a day later? Just making sure as I also understand (I think) that the 24 hour cancel/change rule is NOT in effect with a Farelocked Fare . . ? THANKS!
24 hour flexible cancelation policy (or whatever it’s called) clock starts ticking at ‘purchase’. You have not purchased anything at time of Farelock except the guaranteed price of the ticket - kind of like a stock option to purchase at a certain price.

farelock will obviously not guarantee that price for the next day - if the fare is higher to return that day, you are going to have to pay the fare difference (or just let farelock expire and buy a brand new ticket). If the price of the outbound has gone up, and you want to return the day later, no matter how you do it, you are going to pay the full price at time of change - just changing the return will reprice the outbound as well.
WheelsUpGal likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:03 am

Programs: United, Southwest
Thanks much! Going to purchase this morning. Can't help it. Tech stuff seems so . . final?? I remember in Sacramento when I lived there, going to the United office and planning a trip to Hawaii with them. I miss that process.

**** Yay! I did it! And I was able to change the return to a later date with only a $1 fare difference - which I think was to their benefit but I probably won't get a dollar in the mail. Even got my favorite seat (5L). I ended up paying with my Chase card instead of my United Explorer card because if United doesn't up it's game, I'm jumping ship. I mean, parachuting my loyalty to another airline. There was the option to use Electronic Certificates at check out. (not that I had any . . . ). I also, as recommended, added my Sapphire card to my account BEFORE I purchased the Farelocked flight. THANK YOU EMCAMPBE and to all who participate on this Forum. ****

SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WheelsUpGal; Jan 31, 2023 at 8:32 am Reason: I did it!
Old Apr 29, 2023, 6:47 pm

If my farelock says "until midnight Sun, Apr 30, 2023 in New York, NY,", that means basically until 11:59pm on Saturday, April 29th, right? I placed a 3 day farelock late Thursday afternoon so if it's 0:00 4/30, that means it was for less than 72 hours then?
Old Apr 30, 2023, 11:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lardyda
If my farelock says "until midnight Sun, Apr 30, 2023 in New York, NY,", that means basically until 11:59pm on Saturday, April 29th, right? I placed a 3 day farelock late Thursday afternoon so if it's 0:00 4/30, that means it was for less than 72 hours then?
Yes, UA's farelock is a "day" feature not an x hours. Note after purchase you still have an additional 24 hours to cancel for free.
Old May 17, 2023, 9:05 am

Programs: EK Gold,UA 1K + 1 Million Miler
Fare Lock - Won't let me pay for flights!

I have a ticket held under UA's Fare Lock - LHR-LAX-LAS-SFO-LHR. The lock expires in 24 hours.
I tried to confirm it and pay in full, but when I hit the payment button, the payment option for input of credit card flashes up on the screen briefly and then it goes blank.
I'm lifetime Gold Million Miler with UA.
I spent over an hour on UA's Messaging speaking with UA Agent Charise U.
She tried to put my card through but it failed. Twice.

The issue is not with the card.
I believe that there is an IT glitch that is stopping the payment page from displaying.
I've tried this on my MacBook and my iPhone and it fails each time.I've restarted both but to no avail.
Is there anyway I can have one of UA's IT Support look at this? Or any other suggestions?
Old May 17, 2023, 9:07 am

Programs: UA1K
Call the Premier desk and have them transfer you to IT. That’s what I’ve done whenever I’ve had payment issues online. Hope it gets resolved swiftly!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.