Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Farelock
Preserve your fare and your peace of mind.FareLock℠ lets you hold your reserved fare and complete the purchase of your itinerary at a later time. Enjoy peace of mind that the price of your itinerary won't go up and that the flight won't sell out while you take your time with your purchase. Available only through united.com, the United app and the Customer Contact Center, FareLock allows you to reserve an itinerary and then complete your purchase later.

Itineraries can be held with FareLock for your choice of either three, seven or 14 days. The price of your itinerary is guaranteed during the hold period, until you decide to complete your purchase.
A FareLock is a reservation for space pending ticketing.

Why is farelock not offered at times?
FareLock is available on select flights operated by United and United Express (Star Alliance® flights and marketed codeshare flights are not eligible).
Also, only fares that would be valid at the future purchase time, such as due to advance purchase (AP) requirements, can be farelocked. So if looking at 21 day AP ticket, 22 days before the applicable segment neither a 3 day or 7 day farelock will be available.

FareLock is available on flights operated by United and United Express® only, and the charge is per reservation. FareLock is also offered for both Saver and Everyday Award tickets on United- and United Express-operated flights.

Farelock fees are not refunded even under the 24 hour ticket cancellation rule.

Fareock reservations cannot be changed until after you have purchased the reservation.

If you do not purchase your ticket before your Farelock period expires, your reservation will be canceled unless you have selected the automatic purchase option. The 24 hour cancellation clock does not start until the actual purchase is made.

Caveats

Per the CoC, UA reserves the right to cancel reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities. There have been multiple reports of UA exercising this option to cancel duplicate FareLock segments conflicting with either another FareLock reservation or with a ticketed reservation, often making the remainder of the FareLock (if any) unticketable. Generally, unticketed segments will be canceled over ticketed segments, and older bookings will be canceled over more recent bookings if ticket status is identical. UA does not automatically refund the FareLock service charge if this happens, but it is possible to call in and ask for the refund.

You can purchase your Farelock online using Payment methods (credit card, for example), and there's an option button for CERTIFICATES. Note that this seems to only allow ETC and not FFC (future flight credit vs. "certificate" which have a 10-digit number). You *may* be able to call United and have an agent convert your FFC into an ETC and then apply that to the Farelock so you can purchase over the phone, but this is not guaranteed.

Archive thread: Farelock - Questions/Answers/Experiences {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Farelock - Questions/Answers/Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
So my takeaway from all this is, if I have 2 passengers, one with two future travel credits, the other with one, and a farelock, I shouldn't even bother trying to pay for it on-line when it comes due, but rather call on the phone?
Old Sep 18, 2023, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
So my takeaway from all this is, if I have 2 passengers, one with two future travel credits, the other with one, and a farelock, I shouldn't even bother trying to pay for it on-line when it comes due, but rather call on the phone?
I'd say Yes. On the Farelock purchase screen you're presented with two button options (not checkboxes, buttons, so they are mutually exclusive). One for credit card/payment types. The other for Electronic Certificate. (Note the word Certificate vs. Credit). If you choose the Certificate option, you are then prompted for the 10-digit certificate # and a PIN. The FTC has neither. So you'll have to call in.

Note too, that there's no guarantee that the agent can/will convert your FTC to an ETC to then use it. Worst case, they say "no" and you HUCA.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 12:53 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by hurnik
I'd say Yes. On the Farelock purchase screen you're presented with two button options (not checkboxes, buttons, so they are mutually exclusive). One for credit card/payment types. The other for Electronic Certificate. (Note the word Certificate vs. Credit). If you choose the Certificate option, you are then prompted for the 10-digit certificate # and a PIN. The FTC has neither. So you'll have to call in.

Note too, that there's no guarantee that the agent can/will convert your FTC to an ETC to then use it. Worst case, they say "no" and you HUCA.
Is it possible to get the future flight credits converted ahead of time? Is there a downside to doing so?
Old Sep 18, 2023, 3:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Is it possible to get the future flight credits converted ahead of time? Is there a downside to doing so?
It is against policy, occansionally will do for an immediate booking like the prior poster noted
Mike Jacoubowsky likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 10:14 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
If the fare I Farelock is miles + money to pay for missing miles, and I subsequently earn/transfer in the required missing miles, will the Farelock allow me to pay in-full for miles rather than the money it shows for buying the miles?
Old Nov 23, 2023, 5:13 am

Any known issue with purchasing Farelock right now? Been trying to lock a mileage fare for 4 people for the last 24 hours and I keep getting "An error occured please try again later". It's not a CC issue as I've tried a few.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 8:23 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Have you tried a different browser?
Old Nov 23, 2023, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Have you tried a different browser?
Yeah tried both browser on my computer and app on my phone.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
If the fare I Farelock is miles + money to pay for missing miles, and I subsequently earn/transfer in the required missing miles, will the Farelock allow me to pay in-full for miles rather than the money it shows for buying the miles?
I have the same question...did you figure this out? I am waiting for Chase transfer (one of the lucky non-instant transfers). I'm able to do FareLock but the screen concerns me as it seems to be locking me into buying the miles I still need, whereas I am just waiting for sufficient miles in my account.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA, JetBlue, World of Hyatt, IHG, Hilton
I've been fascinated by the website glitches re: FareLock mentioned in this thread. It has helped to know a lot ahead of when I plan to purchase the newly FareLocked trip for one way, SFO to MXP connecting in ORD, and the majority is in PP class. I'm booking about 200-225 days out and can't believe I can go on a Saturday, lower if it was mid-week, for only 90,700 miles. My CC statement closes on Monday so I'll see more miles applied plus I'm purchasing sale miles+bonus. I've been cautious about miles speculation with choosing a 14-day FareLock. The only way that I could purchase the FareLock was with a call to customer service. I connected to Shirlynn, or at least that's what her name sounded like. My theory is you're connected faster to a CSR if you opt-in on the survey, which I did. She helped me lock it for 90,700 miles. She said that she added my FF number. I logged in using the chrome web browser and noticed that the trip didn't have my FF number. I added it and I selected seats at the same time because the UA phone app wouldn't let me select seats without a response of "Try again later". It shouldn't be this much work.

In the end, I gave the CSR a "5" rating for all of the questions because in the middle of my call, my home experienced a power outage and she was so understanding. I panicked because I couldn't hear her on the phone but she was still there so it was just a coincidence that she went silent at the same time as the lights went out... It happened at 7:30 AM without having had coffee.

In summary, I haven't seen any carrier's website function without inconsistencies or errors so badly occurring so much as it has become so apparent lately. I'll spare you all the differences I see on other sites for other carriers. IMHO, the development of the carrier's phone apps complicates the functionality of the web browser version, and vice versa.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 7:54 am

If I purchase a ticket that is being held on FareLock, will I still have a 24 hour cancelation window that starts from the moment that I complete the transaction?
Old Mar 30, 2024, 11:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Buckskin
If I purchase a ticket that is being held on FareLock, will I still have a 24 hour cancelation window that starts from the moment that I complete the transaction?
Yes, the 24 clock does not start until you purchase the flight(s). Note the farelock fee is non-refundable.
SPN Lifer and Buckskin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.