Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:39 pm

SFO-MCO Q - Offered a little under $299 (forget exact number) - R=3
MCO-SFO S - Offered $399

Offer presented after ticket purchase in a pop up screen. First time I've ever seen one of those.

Declined both. Applied RPU to the first leg and cleared immediately. Price to UG on the second leg jumped to $416 after declining the offer. Applied 20K miles to waitlist for UG.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Offer presented after ticket purchase in a pop up screen. First time I've ever seen one of those.
I saw that pop-up for the first time yesterday. I booked quite a few reservations and the upgrade offer ranged from $299 EWR-IAH and $750 EWR-PDX. Luckilly r=9 on EWR-PDX so my RPU cleared immediately.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: UA GS
Sick of getting offered purchased upgrades.

I'm a 1K and have an RPU expiring next week so figured I'd apply it on my flight today EWR-PHX. When I checked in got an offer to buy an upgrade for 200 bucks, even though I had already applied (and been wait listed) for my RPU. When I checked in, the flight was 11/12 of F full, I was number 1 on the waitlist. Now it's full in F, I'm sure that someone else took the buy-up option. I'm still number one on the upgrade list, FWIW. If I can't get an upgrade as a 1K using an RPU, what's the point?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Anecdotally, the $200 is likely the difference between the fare you paid and the cheapest seat in FC (could me an M-UP) and is generally cheaper based on status. Therefore, your offer was likely lower than a Plat (who would need at least a B-UP).

UA's, as a for profit business, is to sell seats. And, if it can't sell them, then to make them available for "elites."

Here, UA apparently was able to sell the seat.

There are no surprises. Capacity cuts, more paid F, large corporate contracts as well as the very real benefit of the M-UP for 1K's means that there are fewer unpaid UG's to be had.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Often1
Anecdotally, the $200 is likely the difference between the fare you paid and the cheapest seat in FC (could me an M-UP) and is generally cheaper based on status. Therefore, your offer was likely lower than a Plat (who would need at least a B-UP).

UA's, as a for profit business, is to sell seats. And, if it can't sell them, then to make them available for "elites."

There are no surprises. Capacity cuts, more paid F, large corporate contracts as well as the very real benefit of the M-UP for 1K's means that there are fewer unpaid UG's to be had.
Capacity cuts yes. More paid F - sort of - see below. Large corporate contracts have been around a long time.

How is the M-up a very real benefit to anyone when United more often than not sells A-fares for cheaper than M-fares on domestic routes? And when you book an M-up you may have to educate an agent on PN versus R?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
With the rise of the V-up on any number of routes, we can mostly dispel the "as a 1K, your M-up is cheaper than any other elite's B-up price" line of logic (and, of course, a 1K benefit...shocker that it's disappearing). ANY flyer, elite status or not, can get this cheapo V-up pricing (which has an advance purchase requirement that magically disappears at T-24).

Also, we know that "pricing glitches" (to use a UAI term) can magically cause mysterious things to happen, no matter what the -UP pricing currently in the market.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:05 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Despite a heavy load (zeroed out across the board last last night to F1Y1 today) and aggressively-priced V-UPs, I did manage to clear CPU on both of my upcoming IAD-TPA-IAD legs at the 1K windows (and on both, the F cabin was fairly empty at the time). I guess there is a reason UA used to fly these with single-cabin TED a/c.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by GBadger
I don't get this one...
Just passed the 96 hr. mark for my upcoming DEN-SFO flight. Watched R inventory go from 7 to 4, but that's it. I get that just because there's R inventory that it doesn't mean that upgrades should have run. But once upgrades do run, shouldn't that process drain R inventory??
If you're talking about CPUs, then no: R inventory only relates to instrument-supported upgrades. CPUs come from a hidden inventory allocation which is less than or equal to that in R. It is entirely possible that even when the upgrade system is working properly, R will be >0 even with eligible travelers still waiting for the upgrade.

If your upgrade is instrument- supported then that is another story.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Sykes
If you're talking about CPUs, then no: R inventory only relates to instrument-supported upgrades. CPUs come from a hidden inventory allocation which is less than or equal to that in R. It is entirely possible that even when the upgrade system is working properly, R will be >0 even with eligible travelers still waiting for the upgrade.

If your upgrade is instrument- supported then that is another story.
Didn't realize that. Upgrade came through at the Platinum window (72 hours).
Interesting to me that when R=7 only 3 of those were allocated for CPU at 96 hours.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
My IAH-ORD 757 Tuesday evening just went from 6/24 in F class to 18/24 in about an hour of time around the flight check-in time. So 12 seats sold at check-in. There are a few of us that were already on the UG list from connections prior to this.

I agree with the theory that I have seen on FT, that if you end up on the UG list and dont clear ahead of time, the odds of clearing go way way down. Especially true of you are not 1K.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Agree with the comments above regarding upgd chances. Also interesting to see it looks like the lower ranks of premiers have just given up. As a PremGold on a middling fare I was in the ~40s today DCA-IAH and IAH-SJC on upgrade lists that maybe went to 55. We'll see what happens when I go back to plt next week.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bagspacked
I'm a 1K and have an RPU expiring next week so figured I'd apply it on my flight today EWR-PHX. When I checked in got an offer to buy an upgrade for 200 bucks, even though I had already applied (and been wait listed) for my RPU. When I checked in, the flight was 11/12 of F full, I was number 1 on the waitlist. Now it's full in F, I'm sure that someone else took the buy-up option. I'm still number one on the upgrade list, FWIW. If I can't get an upgrade as a 1K using an RPU, what's the point?
Welcome to the new reality.

I agree that United ought to sell as many seats as possible, which makes the CPU a dying breed. But GPUs and RPUs are supposed to be a reward for flying UA as a frequent flyer and good customer, and if they go the same way as the CPU, what's the point of trying to accumulate the miles needed to earn them?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Data point - buying a ticket for a Silver and trying to confirm these calculations...

BUR-SFO-IAD, paid $223.
Offered $569 for SFO-IAD buy-up (BUR-SFO on CRJ200).
Theoretical sticker price for F cabin: $223 + $569 = $792

So, where should I see this $792?

Lowest current Y/B fare BUR-IAD: $936
Lowest current Y/B fare SFO-IAD: $875
Lowest A fare BUR-IAD: $1259
Lowest A fare SFO-IAD: $1637

Am I missing something? As a Silver, the passenger doesn't get M-ups, so I should just be searching for Y, B, A, F, right?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:52 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
SEA-DEN-SEA buy Up?

Anyone have experience on this route and what the upgrade costs haven been?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 4:41 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs
Am I missing something? As a Silver, the passenger doesn't get M-ups, so I should just be searching for Y, B, A, F, right?
It's possible there was a -UP fare of some sort in the market. At that price, maybe a Q-UP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.