Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 8:40 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
mwix, I would have accepted the upgrade offer, then have spouse sit in upgraded seat, while I'm (i.e., you are) in the back with the two kids.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Mitch-

1. No, wife and I had no offer whatsoever - I assume this was due to the fact that were were in the UDU queue from days earlier.
2. Child offer was on-line during check-in.
3. I agree.
4. I don't understand this either, hence my question. I have been told before that we need to split PNR into two sets of two people for upgrade purposes, but never had four different locators.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by mwix
Mitch-

1. No, wife and I had no offer whatsoever - I assume this was due to the fact that were were in the UDU queue from days earlier.
2. Child offer was on-line during check-in.
3. I agree.
4. I don't understand this either, hence my question. I have been told before that we need to split PNR into two sets of two people for upgrade purposes, but never had four different locators.
What did your child's offer look like? Was it a specific special page presented to you while going through the online check in process?

As others have noted, it would be good if you could send a message to UA Insider with your PNRs and ask her to look into it.

She insists this kind of thing isn't happening. It's not clear to me whether she's truly ignorant of what's going on or whether she's lying but in case it's the former, maybe this can help to get some facts established.

I just started a new thread on this PNR topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...osed-work.html

And got a helpful reply. You might enjoy reading it for future travel.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
While completing on-line check-in, I noticed my four year-old was offered the chance to sit in business class for a whopping $106. Funny how neither my wife nor I were offered that opportunity. Way to maximize your gross margins with incremental dollars, $misek!
United doesn't have a dossier on the four year old yet. Give the airline another year or two of data on the child's travel habits and tendencies and I'm confident the upgrade offers will be further optimized.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Except...I really didn't like this. It actually infuriated me. As a result, I am booking three international business trips on other *A carriers with better product instead. Two business trips to Asia and one to Europe. That's around $20,000 of revenue right there. Deducting that incremental $106 makes a tidy sum of -$19,894 -- every year. Put that in your gross margin!
Just make sure these trips aren't on LH/US/AC/NH, otherwise UA gets 1/2 of it.

LX/SQ (FRA) to Europe and SQ/OZ/TG to and around Asia make nice options.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:58 am

While completing on-line check-in, I noticed my four year-old was offered the chance to sit in business class for a whopping $106. Funny how neither my wife nor I were offered that opportunity. Way to maximize your gross margins with incremental dollars, $misek!
Looks like you didn't get the memo from the CFO ... you are "over entitled". No soup for you.

Old May 28, 2012, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Just make sure these trips aren't on LH/US/AC/NH, otherwise UA gets 1/2 of it.
US Airways isn't in the Star Alliance TATL JV.
Old May 28, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
More room to "take your shoes off and let your feet breath"

Srsly, I've never taken it so I can only go by what I'm told but it makes sense. The EK/LH/BA/LY flights from the Gulf to Europe can be a surprise. A perfectly nice flight one day and a refugee camp the next.

I wonder if he got his upgrade? I looked and the flight went out 4 hrs late but they had already "scrubbed" the wait list so it looks like everyone cleared (which I'm sure is not the case)
I did get my upgrade thank goodness (but only after calling withing T24). System glitch that has been discussed elsewhere. The flight to DXB didn't seem that bad but it would have been pretty bad on the way home. Lots of crying babies and the flight leaves at midnight. As it was the guy next to me in C was pretty surly. The flight crew was *AWESOME* however. IAD based crew, great team, super friendly and recognized me on the flight back. Might have been the best crew I've ever seen on UA. But maybe I would have felt different if I wasn't in C!
Old May 31, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Buy up from Y-F international

I have a ord-nrt-bkk flight round trip waitlisted with a swu.

I'm getting a buyup to F for 4800 skipping right past C. This is only for one leg however. NRT-ORD. HELL NO.
Old May 31, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by schley
I have a ord-nrt-bkk flight round trip waitlisted with a swu.

I'm getting a buyup to F for 4800 skipping right past C. This is only for one leg however. NRT-ORD. HELL NO.
Wow. Never seen Y to F as a straight buy up, nor seen such a hefty price tag.

Interesting...
Old May 31, 2012, 4:27 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ainternational
Wow. Never seen Y to F as a straight buy up, nor seen such a hefty price tag.

Interesting...
There was a bug last year IIRC where one could do so but for a much lower price (typically $999 o/w). I believe one had to waitlist for C with a SWU (and it had to waitlist, not clear), then the buy-up to F would be offered (and the SWU returned to boot).
Old May 31, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by exerda
There was a bug last year IIRC where one could do so but for a much lower price (typically $999 o/w). I believe one had to waitlist for C with a SWU (and it had to waitlist, not clear), then the buy-up to F would be offered (and the SWU returned to boot).
I had that happen last year twice but was not wait listed. Already in C using a SWU. I called res to see what was up as I didn't want to pay the $1000 and end having it taken away from me and still end up STILL in C waiting on a refund. She told me to GRAB IT as it was a "glitch" but they were told NOT to downgrade anyone because of it. Ended up DBL upgraded twice Y-C-F for a SWU and $1000
Old May 31, 2012, 4:45 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Have noticed the same thing myself post merger. It's now the rare event that I clear at 100 hours as a 1K. More often I now slip into the standby list on the day of the flight. I truly believe that UA are trying increase their revenue here at the expense of their most loyal customers.
Old May 31, 2012, 4:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IDMan
... I's now the rare event that I clear at 100 hours as a 1K. ....
technically it is now 96 hours, not 100 hours. But feels few are reporting clearing that far out -- but does seem to happen for some routes.
Old May 31, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I had that happen last year twice but was not wait listed. Already in C using a SWU. I called res to see what was up as I didn't want to pay the $1000 and end having it taken away from me and still end up STILL in C waiting on a refund. She told me to GRAB IT as it was a "glitch" but they were told NOT to downgrade anyone because of it. Ended up DBL upgraded twice Y-C-F for a SWU and $1000
Perhaps this is just me, but i wouldn't pay $1,000 for an upgrade from C to F, even for the ultra-long IAD-DXB flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.