Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Purchasing extra PQM/EQMs on United via Elite Maximizer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchasing extra PQM/EQMs on United via Elite Maximizer

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ferguson99
I need an additional 7,000 PQM and am not interested in a mileage run. I was hoping to purchase a ticket, buy the miles with Premier Accelerator, and cancel the ticket within 24 hours. I assume this strategy will work, that even though I cancel the ticket I keep the purchased PQM? ...
yep that works

Originally Posted by ferguson99
.... I already have one purchased itinerary, Dulles to London, but the "additional miles" for sale are 20,000 or 30,000. I'm not interested in buying that many extra miles when I only need 7000.

I can't see how many additional miles will be available for purchase until after purchasing a ticket. Thus, any strategies out there to help me select the best ticket to purchase that will offer me the needed 7000 extra PQM for purchase at the least cost? Thanks!
this is a new twist the UA has introduce this year, elites tend to get offers 2-3x the base miles rounded to the nearest 1K.

Best I can suggest is anticipate this multiple and find a shorter itin.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:30 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
this is a new twist the UA has introduce this year, elites tend to get offers 2-3x the base miles rounded to the nearest 1K.
Or even rounded to larger figures for longer itins. I've gone one whose base PQM is ~20.8k, and am offered 50k and 75k PQM for purchase.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Purchasing miles

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it looks like buying EQM's is now a flat distance of miles as opposed to double or triple miles. If I am using the wrong terminology sorry. I checked last week as I have a flight of 4,000+ miles, was hoping the price would drop because triple miles will get me to platinum for next year and that will be a huge difference for my travel. Now it just shows I can buy 4,000 or 6,000. At the prices offered it a real bad deal.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
+1

Join the club!

yep.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 7:12 am

Buying miles - Does it count towards premier? Offer says "yes", but website says "no

Checking into a flight on United, I was offered the chance to buy additional miles with the teaser "achieve premier status quicker" (or something to that effect).

I know that buying miles is typically not a good financial deal, but I may be a bit short to achieve the next level (gold), and am not crazy about doing a mileage run.

I thought that buying miles would never count towards premier status, and indeed that seems the case when i google that question - including a link to United's own website which indicates that purchased miles do not qualify.

But the United offer is clear on the purchase achieving premier status quicker, and therefore these would seem to qualify.

Advice from United pros? And if they do qualify, is it 1:1?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by TrinaLC
Checking into a flight on United, I was offered the chance to buy additional miles with the teaser "achieve premier status quicker" (or something to that effect).

I know that buying miles is typically not a good financial deal, but I may be a bit short to achieve the next level (gold), and am not crazy about doing a mileage run.

I thought that buying miles would never count towards premier status, and indeed that seems the case when i google that question - including a link to United's own website which indicates that purchased miles do not qualify.

But the United offer is clear on the purchase achieving premier status quicker, and therefore these would seem to qualify.

Advice from United pros? And if they do qualify, is it 1:1?
Your itinerary should be offering you Award Accelerator miles (last rate I saw was around $0.02 per mile). These are good for awards, but not for achieving status. If you select one of the offers, however, you should get a pop-up offering you the same number of Premier Accelerator miles for a much higher rate (last I saw reported was about $0.11 per mile). The Premier Accelerator miles will count toward status, including 1K.

The rates, by the way, appear to vary based on how many PQMs you have so far this year, so you may get offered rates different than the ones I mentioned above.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
You initially must buy RDMs (I think they are called) and then an offer appears to buy PQMs at a much higher price/mile. The RDMs don't apply toward elite status (they are "regular" FF miles that you can use toward awards and upgrades, etc), but the PQMs certainly do. The PQMs do not accrue as additional RDMs, by the way...they are totally separate.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:10 am

Total neophyte - is this a decent deal?

Buy 8,133 miles for $169. Premium Accelerator for $651 more. (Would I get 8,133 EQMs from that? I suppose whether it is a good deal or not depends on how many I need to get to next level.... which I'm not sure about yet.)
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:48 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond

Buy 8,133 miles for $169. Premium Accelerator for $651 more. (Would I get 8,133 EQMs from that? I suppose whether it is a good deal or not depends on how many I need to get to next level.... which I'm not sure about yet.)
Not a bad deal; that's 2.1 cpm for the RDM, plus another 8 cpm for the PQM. Yes, you'd get 8,133 PQM (and 8,133 RDM), for a total price of about 10 cpm. The rates will likely only get worse as the year advances.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:02 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
The rates will likely only get worse as the year advances.
PQM/EQM prices have already gone up over a month ago, are slowly going to creep up, and in late December are likely to become obscene if the pattern of last two years is repeated @:-)

EmailKid
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry

The rate for the award miles is about what everyone is getting. The rate for the EQMs is actually lower than most of the rates I've seen reported, and less than I paid for the miles I bought to top off my 1K for next year.

The real question, however, is whether it is worth $820 to you to be gold for next year.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: UA, CO, AA, WN
Elite Maximizer on half of a RT ticket

On a separate but related question, is it possible to purchase Elite Maximizer for only half of a round-trip itinerary?

I am flying EWR-AUS-EWR on a single ticket next week. The only option currently offered on the website is to purchase 3,040 RDMs/PQMs, i.e., covering the entire round trip mileage. However, I need only ~1,200 miles for Premier Gold and would prefer not to waste money on the extra 1,500 PQMs.

Will it be possible to only purchase the EQMs for the 1,500 mile EWR-AUS leg? Will I get an offer like that at check-in time?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by markdboucher
On a separate but related question, is it possible to purchase Elite Maximizer for only half of a round-trip itinerary?
No, as far as I know, you can't. The way to get only the miles you need is to book a ticket that gives you a lower offer, take the offer for the extra miles and EQMs, then cancel the ticket later. If you book a refundable ticket, it won't be an issue, and the two transactions (ticket purchase and miles/EQM purchase) are unrelated.

Plan ahead, and be careful of these wise words from my friend ...

Originally Posted by EmailKid
PQM/EQM prices have already gone up over a month ago, are slowly going to creep up, and in late December are likely to become obscene if the pattern of last two years is repeated @:-)
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
No, as far as I know, you can't.
What if the OP selects the buy EQM option when checking it for the return?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by exerda
Not a bad deal; that's 2.1 cpm for the RDM, plus another 8 cpm for the PQM. Yes, you'd get 8,133 PQM (and 8,133 RDM), for a total price of about 10 cpm. The rates will likely only get worse as the year advances.
Thanks for running this out for me - I hadn't figured out how to do the math. Now i just need to figure out whether I'll need that many PQMs...

Again, I appreciate your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.