Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Silvers: Report your experience with E+ seating at T-24hrs here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silvers: Report your experience with E+ seating at T-24hrs here.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
UA 245
SFO-BOS
4/23/12 flight date
At T-24, no E+ seats remaining

Last edited by pinerd; Apr 22, 2012 at 12:45 pm Reason: Add flight date
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:44 am

My recent experiences:

IAD-SFO on an A319, got 21A at T-24. There were a handful of other middle / aisle pairs available. No other windows except the limited recline in 12.

IAD-SJU on a PMUA 757, multiple middle/aisle pairs available, one window.

IAD-TYS-IAD on a ERJ-145, 1A available on one leg, not the other, and half the exit row seats available.

So for me the downgraded E+ booking availability hasn't been a problem. Not going to call it a change I like, but at least it's been a change I can live with.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:37 pm

LGA-CLE UA4347 ERJ145 4/24: At T-24, 1A and 3C are available. I'm sticking with 4A.
CLE-DEN UA542 757-200 4/24: At about T-26 (checked in for first flight, can pick seats on this one) there were a few middle seats. Then I guess people started buying TOD upgrades because the confirmed upgrade list doubled (but those names weren't taken from the existing upgrade list) and E+ seats opened up. I got 9D. Now, at about T-23 the entirety of row 20 (exit) is available as well as 14C for an aisle seat. When I get to CLE tomorrow, if there's no standby list and row 20 is still empty, I'll probably take that. Gonna stick with 9D for now.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:50 pm

Silvers getting E+ at booking

A couple of weeks ago I had to fly to HNL on short notice and when I booked the tickets I was assigned E+ seats. My outbound was less than 24 hours and all flights were in Y or B. So when I got E+ seats, I assumed it was due to the ticket price.

Just booked out to the West Coast and all four legs were assigned right into E+. One of those legs is a middle seat, but hoping I can change at T+24.

Any Silvers experience the same? The only thing I can think of is that my company has a contract that makes UA our preferred carrier and that could have something to do with it. I had booked award tickets on my own and I am stuck in E- on those until check-in.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Highly doubt the corporate contract. SHARES has no idea which end of the airplane is which
Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Since silvers get an upgrade at booking with a full fare Y ticket, I'm hoping that the upgrade is not considered to be from E- to E+, instead of from Y to F.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by mr_edward_p

Just booked out to the West Coast and all four legs were assigned right into E+. One of those legs is a middle seat, but hoping I can change at T+24.

Any Silvers experience the same? .
What I've experienced recently is booking a flight on USAirways that was operated by United I got plunked into E+ Aisle seats on the United flights.

My other recent bookings have left me in E-, with the hope that at T-24 I'll be able to improve on the situation.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Since silvers get an upgrade at booking with a full fare Y ticket, I'm hoping that the upgrade is not considered to be from E- to E+, instead of from Y to F.
No Premier Y Ups on EWR-HNL so I was lucky just to get the lousy bulkhead seat.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by mr_edward_p
A couple of weeks ago I had to fly to HNL on short notice and when I booked the tickets I was assigned E+ seats. My outbound was less than 24 hours and all flights were in Y or B. So when I got E+ seats, I assumed it was due to the ticket price.

Any Silvers experience the same? The only thing I can think of is that my company has a contract that makes UA our preferred carrier and that could have something to do with it. I had booked award tickets on my own and I am stuck in E- on those until check-in.
It's possible that your company has a deal with UA. However, I will say that ticket price has nothing to do with it.

I priced out a BWI-ICN trip in full Y ($5800) and UA still wanted to try to get me to pay for E+ on top of that.

But hey, at least that Gold on a cheapo K fare for $1200 can ride in E+ ...
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Now this part makes no sense.

On the Y ticket I priced out, I could get an instant upgrade due to the Y fare on domestic legs. However, on the international, I had to pay for E+. Tell me how that makes sense? UA will give me F on all the domestic legs but can't at least give me E+ on the TPAC part of a $5800 fare?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:17 pm

Yesterday I snagged the bulkhead aisle on my LGA-IAH flight. The funny thing was that I was checking in at ~24 hours on the mobile app. I was at Rockefeller Center with a friend, and she was like, I can't believe you are busy checking in for your flight when you are out touring!

Also, I'm pretty sure I was the first person on the upgrade list at departure. Oh well, shouldn't expect too much as a premier silver...
Old Apr 25, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1k
UA 1139
4/26/12 EWR-LAS

On a W fare, last on the list for now.

Turned down choosing a bulkhead E+ for a window with a spare seat next to it. I'll see how things look tomorrow, if there is a window Bulkhead i'll swap for that.

Did get a ToD offer of $299 for F....

Edit: non-status GF's ToD was 699, same fare & Date was wrong.

Last edited by oblisk; Apr 25, 2012 at 7:03 pm
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:11 pm

EWR-DEN tomorrow. Managed to get a window E+
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA
So, the United system seems to be giving me the same problems as before. This time I'm trying to select E+ for a flight tomorrow from IAD to LHR.
There are currently plenty of E+ seats available, but after I select an E+ seat, although it disappears as available, my reservation still shows me as having my old (regular E) seat.

For what it's worth, I use firefox on Mac OS 10.7.3

I'm hoping the seat selection went through OK...

Originally Posted by starless
Trying to select E+ for IAD -> FCO flight tomorrow. There were seats available, it appeared. However, my selection doesn't seem to "stick". It shows me as having selected an E+ seat, but if I go to view my seat selection again, or check the reservation, it shows me back in my previously selected E- seat. Very disappointed.

But thanks very much to United for monitoring this forum and responding quickly to my posting. Seems like the problem may be resolved now...
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver
First post here!

Recently booked LGA-DEN-SJC-IAH-LGA for a trip home 5/10-5/15 via Chase's travel services (since I have the Sapphire card and have a bunch of points to use for travel). The system allows you to pick E+ seats but has a disclaimer that they were only "for elites". I thought I'd try anyway to pick E+ seats (as I've done in the past) and once the reservation was confirmed, I checked on United's website - sure enough I had E+ seats!

They probably haven't reprogrammed seat booking algorithms yet for all the other booking services out there, so one might be able to do this with other websites as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.