Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks for posting that R/RN is same inventory!

Originally Posted by gdemander
Indications are that R = RN. Only difference being that RN is for premiers. If you see RN as 1 and R as 1 there is one upgrade available.
I spent about an hour today searching FT trying to figure out if R=1 and RN=1 did that mean there were 2 upgrades available from Econ, or just one? Now i know that there is just one, thank you.

Unless I want Mr. Redwoman (no status at all, he lost it last year) mad at me, I'd better try another itin or put myself on a M-up.

Ohh wait, I forgot that Mr. Redwoman as a "kettle" will get his TOD F cabin buyup for $59 while my GPU and/or CPU gets blown off.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 16, 2012 at 7:27 am
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Please PM details to UA Insider so she can investigate. This is a great one to check because you know the precise details for both the Premier passenger and the general member passenger, which is rarely the case.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 16, 2012 at 7:27 am
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by gdemander
Indications are that R = RN. Only difference being that RN is for premiers. If you see RN as 1 and R as 1 there is one upgrade available.
I really don't know what happened. If your statement is correct, that R1 & RN1 is only one "floating" R...some little miracle has happened because both of us got the upgrade ( both shown as R ).
And many thanks to our fellow FTers...to help us survive these trying times. I think the hold time on the phone is getting much better, I got thru after 3 mins.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 16, 2012 at 7:28 am
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:23 pm

If p=4 and PN=4 does that mean 4 seats are available in F/C and 4 can be upgraded to FC with TOD upgrade
Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dolcean
If p=4 and PN=4 does that mean 4 seats are available in F/C and 4 can be upgraded to FC with TOD upgrade
It means that 4 can be upgraded into if you have a B or M (1K/GS only) fare. There may be more for sale overall in the forward cabin.

Originally Posted by AA2MM
I really don't know what happened. If your statement is correct, that R1 & RN1 is only one "floating" R...some little miracle has happened because both of us got the upgrade ( both shown as R ).
Think of R as a subset of RN. R should always be less than or equal to R, but that doesn't mean if one is pulled form R that RN will necessarily decrease as well. If they are both at 1 that is the likely scenario, but not necessarily what will happen. Just like a flight that is F3 Z2 could go to F2 Z1 or F3 Z1 when a Z seat is booked.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by sbm12
Think of R as a subset of RN. R should always be less than or equal to R, but that doesn't mean if one is pulled form R that RN will necessarily decrease as well. If they are both at 1 that is the likely scenario, but not necessarily what will happen. Just like a flight that is F3 Z2 could go to F2 Z1 or F3 Z1 when a Z seat is booked.
So does that mean that if R=1 and RN=1 one may actually be able to clear two upgrades, one from each? That there is more R space "hidden" to fill upgrades from?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmack
So does that mean that if R=1 and RN=1 one may actually be able to clear two upgrades, one from each? That there is more R space "hidden" to fill upgrades from?
Yes, it MAY be possible. Like I said, unlikely, but it might be possible that using the one R seat does not empty the one RN seat.

I wouldn't bet on it, but that's the way the buckets are set up as I understand it.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: their are many of them
very helpful.....danka^
Old Mar 16, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I am totally confused by this new system. What inventory should I be looking out for if I just want to buy-up from a discount economy fare (L) into business (Z) on a 3-class international (transpac specifically) flight?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by doctorjosh
I am totally confused by this new system. What inventory should I be looking out for if I just want to buy-up from a discount economy fare (L) into business (Z) on a 3-class international (transpac specifically) flight?
If you are looking for a revenue buy-up then you just look at the prices for the two fares and do the math between them. If the other, usually discounted, cash upgrades at OLCI come from a specific fare bucket then it is not one I know.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Not quite on-topic, but I will try here before starting a new thread.

I love the ability to be able to search for specific fare codes. However, when booking a round-trip or multi-city itinerary there doesn't seem to be a way to specify different codes for the different segments. For example, let's just say hypothetically that I'm looking to book TATL eastbound in B or Q to minimize my co-pay for UG to R, but am not so concerned about the westbound leg and would like a deeper discount fare there.

Does anyone have any tricks for building a ticket that meets these criteria using the new united.com? I occasionally see these mixed-code itineraries show up in the system where the cheaper codes are sold out on one segment, but am not sure how to 'force' a certain set of codes. Or maybe I just need to call reservations?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by eflyte
Does anyone have any tricks for building a ticket that meets these criteria using the new united.com? I occasionally see these mixed-code itineraries show up in the system where the cheaper codes are sold out on one segment, but am not sure how to 'force' a certain set of codes. Or maybe I just need to call reservations?
I've asked this question as well in another thread. I think the consensus is that there's no way to do it. I wanted to book a round trip where I could upgrade one way, but not the other. I think the only way to do it is to call, although who knows if a former UA agent can construct this--it might take several calls.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eflyte
Does anyone have any tricks for building a ticket that meets these criteria using the new united.com?
INP.

You cannot force it unless it happens that those are the fares available. For something that complicated (not that it is incredibly so, but it is a bit more than normal) you have to call it in.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by sbm12
It means that 4 can be upgraded into if you have a B or M (1K/GS only) fare. There may be more for sale overall in the forward cabin.

In the old system if NC=2, then I knew there were 2 seats available for upgrade with SWUs from coach(W) to C.

If in theory R less than or equal to RN is there a way to figure out if there are actually more upgrades available when R=1 RN=1?
Sorry to be so confused.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmack
If in theory R less than or equal to RN is there a way to figure out if there are actually more upgrades available when R=1 RN=1?
Sorry to be so confused.
The safest way to approach it is to assume that anything that debits the R bucket will also debit the RN bucket. So RN1/R1 any one upgrade will zero both. You could get lucky and not have that be the case, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.