FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1321113-post-3-mar-2012-how-find-upgrade-inventory-how-see-fare-bucket-availability.html)

astroflyer Jun 17, 2012 11:58 am

Originally Posted by OnePassenger (Post 18770911)
FDo I have to look out for R, RN, P, or PN to become available for the upgrade to clear? Thanks so much!

So as others have mentioned RN (the elite upgrade bucket, which is closely related to R) is the one that your upgrade will come out of. You don't have to watch it, but I recommend it. In fact, that was the only way I got 2 upgrades this year was watching for R>0 when my GPU was still in the queue. The agents then manually did it. It appears there's some strange technical bugs that appear from time to time on these systems. ExpertFlyer was quite useful for this monitoring, although I find it too expensive to use all the time.

It's pretty hard to imagine a GS on a B fare not clearing. If you wanted to save GPU's you could upgrade a B fare with miles as well, FYI

sbm12 Jun 17, 2012 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by astroflyer (Post 18771790)
So as others have mentioned RN (the elite upgrade bucket, which is closely related to R) is the one that your upgrade will come out of.

No, it isn't. RN is not in use yet. The upgrade will come out of R.

Traveling2 Jun 18, 2012 5:45 pm

Thanks!

This is excellent! And, so obvious, that I don't know how I missed it. Much as I love ExpertFlyer this is certainly convenient. And nice to have when talking to a rep.

woofly Jun 30, 2012 1:24 pm

Okay thrown for a loop on this one.... using Booked M out and back to IAH-IAD-DXB all UA metal. 1k PN clears for IAH -IAD legs at booking. Wait-list DXB segments using GPUs and have set EF alerts looking for R and RN availability.

Took a peak today and DXB-IAD (UA977 on 7/19) is showing PN availability on a TATL. My understanding was PN only clears for TCON. Should I be calling 1K desk asking them to force GPU or is that a waste of time.

Sorry if this has been covered in the thread but can't quite follow the post 3/3 level of __N's and other fare rules.

sbm12 Jun 30, 2012 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by woofly (Post 18848738)
Okay thrown for a loop on this one.... using Booked M out and back to IAH-IAD-DXB all UA metal. 1k PN clears for IAH -IAD legs at booking. Wait-list DXB segments using GPUs and have set EF alerts looking for R and RN availability.

Took a peak today and DXB-IAD (UA977 on 7/19) is showing PN availability on a TATL. My understanding was PN only clears for TCON. Should I be calling 1K desk asking them to force GPU or is that a waste of time.

Sorry if this has been covered in the thread but can't quite follow the post 3/3 level of __N's and other fare rules.

PN can show on GPU-eligible segments but it isn't useful for anything. You cannot upgrade into it.

ajhun9 Jun 30, 2012 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 18772275)
RN is not in use yet..

I used miles to book into X/XN and a GPU for an upgrade to BF. It cleared into RN for whatever that's worth.

sbm12 Jul 1, 2012 6:19 am

Originally Posted by ajhun9 (Post 18850147)
I used miles to book into X/XN and a GPU for an upgrade to BF. It cleared into RN for whatever that's worth.

There are a number of isolated reports of things clearing into RN from time to time. Official statement from the company is that it isn't in use and I think the majority of the data supports that.

1cericks Jul 21, 2012 1:37 pm

Trying to understand Y-Upgrades. My mother is looking to fly BWI-BCN (Barcelona). She is a Premier Silver. If she purchases a Y fare ticket and the flight shows J4, does that mean it will automatically upgrade her to First (2-class 757 cabin)? Specific flight is August 9th, UA120. Thanks

sbm12 Jul 21, 2012 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by 1cericks (Post 18975577)
Trying to understand Y-Upgrades. My mother is looking to fly BWI-BCN (Barcelona). She is a Premier Silver. If she purchases a Y fare ticket and the flight shows J4, does that mean it will automatically upgrade her to First (2-class 757 cabin)? Specific flight is August 9th, UA120. Thanks

Y-Ups only apply in markets which are CPU-eligible. EWR-BCN is not so it will not work.

Upgrades on that flight will come from R inventory.

j1j2j38 Aug 5, 2012 10:01 am

Miles + copay upgrade bucket

Hi,
I was wondering if united fare classes list an upgrade bucket for miles + copay so I can tell whether I can upgrade instantly at the time of booking rather than getting waitlisted. I'm debating ORD to LIM via EWR which would need the upgrade on the EWR to LIM leg and would be otherwise preferable if I can guarantee the upgrade vs using an RPU on COPA and flying ORD to PTY to LIM. I know the COPA upgrade should go through, but I'd prefer the hard product on the EWR to LIM flight if I can guarantee the upgrade at booking.

UAPremExecflyer Aug 5, 2012 10:05 am

Search is always your friend http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d+upgrade+fare

cfischer Aug 5, 2012 10:07 am

Look for R

GrizShel Aug 5, 2012 8:40 pm

Here's what my flight in December currently shows for a HNL-IAD flight:
Available Cabins: F9, A9, JN9, Z7, ZN7, P1, PN9, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K2, G0, N0, XN0, X0

What's been your experience with upgrades clearing on this route - how long must one wait? (I'm using a RPU).
And - RPUs are represented by the R0 or RN0 buckets, correct?
Does the original booking class on this make any difference? (i.e., does a full fare Y ticket get upgraded before a discount economy ticket?
Almost no BusinessFirst seats seem to be assigned on this flight so far.

WineCountryUA Aug 5, 2012 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by GrizShel (Post 19066215)
And - RPUs are represented by the R0 or RN0 buckets, correct? ...

yes

Originally Posted by GrizShel (Post 19066215)
....Does the original booking class on this make any difference? (i.e., does a full fare Y ticket get upgraded before a discount economy ticket? ....

yes, potentially in two ways
For CPU eligible flights -- YB and M(for 1K) fares have priority over RPUs (but BF to Hawaii are not CPU eligible)
For all flights, in your status group, RPU waitlists are prioritized by fare class

sfonorth Aug 8, 2012 7:51 am

Any suggestions on how to best secure a roundtrip upgrade to C with R inventory 330 days in advance. I'm looking at flights from SFO to NRT/TPE or SFO to FRA/LHR next summer. It looks like R inventory opens up 330 days out but then disappears about a week later.

The only way I can see to secure the R inventory on the roundtrip is to buy two one-way tickets at the 330 day point. But this is usually more expensive than buying a roundtrip ticket.

I assume they don't let you "hold" the outbound inventory until you book your return.

drewguy Aug 8, 2012 8:05 am

Originally Posted by sfonorth (Post 19081314)
Any suggestions on how to best secure a roundtrip upgrade to C with R inventory 330 days in advance. I'm looking at flights from SFO to NRT/TPE or SFO to FRA/LHR next summer. It looks like R inventory opens up 330 days out but then disappears about a week later.

The only way I can see to secure the R inventory on the roundtrip is to buy two one-way tickets at the 330 day point. But this is usually more expensive than buying a roundtrip ticket.

I assume they don't let you "hold" the outbound inventory until you book your return.

If you're consistently seeing R inventory opening at Day 330, why not book and confirm outbound upgrade and then wait until T-330 on return and call in to confirm upgrade? I realize there's a risk the upgrade space won't actually appear--is that the concern?

sfonorth Aug 8, 2012 8:13 am

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 19081381)
If you're consistently seeing R inventory opening at Day 330, why not book and confirm outbound upgrade and then wait until T-330 on return and call in to confirm upgrade? I realize there's a risk the upgrade space won't actually appear--is that the concern?

For a short trip, this would work but I'm planning a 3 week trip and the upgrade space disappears after a week or so. By the time the T-330 on the return can be purchased, the outbound has no more availability. For less popular flights, it's not a problem but Asia/Europe can be a problem.

If UA wouldn't price the one-ways so much higher than the roundtrips.

GrizShel Aug 9, 2012 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by sfonorth (Post 19081431)
For a short trip, this would work but I'm planning a 3 week trip and the upgrade space disappears after a week or so. By the time the T-330 on the return can be purchased, the outbound has no more availability. For less popular flights, it's not a problem but Asia/Europe can be a problem.

If UA wouldn't price the one-ways so much higher than the roundtrips.

Won't some upgrade space usually appear closer to departure for most flights? I am waiting on a regional clearing between hnl and iad, since there appears to be plenty of First space available, I thought the chances of at least a couple of seats clearing later on would be good - or is that usually not the case? (my first time to use an upgrade instrument on united.)

milemonkey Aug 13, 2012 6:53 pm

I've seen where Fare Class shows R and RN as -0- but what does it mean if there is not even an R or RN code listed? Does it mean there will not be any upgrade available or may it get added later?

WineCountryUA Aug 13, 2012 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by milemonkey (Post 19114585)
I've seen where Fare Class shows R and RN as -0- but what does it mean if there is not even an R or RN code listed? Does it mean there will not be any upgrade available or may it get added later?

At different points in the web site, no upgrade inventory is handled differently
In the flight search area it is shown as R0 RN0. In the Manage Reservation area, the R,RN fare classes are not shown when 0. If later R,RN>0 then it will show.

sbm12 Aug 14, 2012 6:38 am

Originally Posted by GrizShel (Post 19093783)
Won't some upgrade space usually appear closer to departure for most flights?

Maybe, maybe not. And there may be others waitlisted for the upgrades so it opens and is immediately taken by those on the waitlist so you'd never see it anyways. Or the company will sell the seats and never open the upgrades.

GrizShel Aug 14, 2012 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 19116807)
Maybe, maybe not. And there may be others waitlisted for the upgrades so it opens and is immediately taken by those on the waitlist so you'd never see it anyways. Or the company will sell the seats and never open the upgrades.

I have an alert for this on ExpertFlyer - is that the best way to maximize chances of grabbing a seat? (Sounds like from your reply that the upgrades rarely get automatically applied).

sbm12 Aug 14, 2012 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by GrizShel (Post 19118993)
I have an alert for this on ExpertFlyer - is that the best way to maximize chances of grabbing a seat? (Sounds like from your reply that the upgrades rarely get automatically applied).

The best way to maximize chances is to waitlist for it. When the system is working properly - and it actually does some times ;) - the upgrade inventory never shows up to the GDS so no alerts will trigger. If it isn't working properly - which also happens some times - then having the alert will allow you to call in and have the agent process the request.

Weyland Yutani Corp Aug 14, 2012 2:05 pm

Which fare classes are GPU/SWU upgradeable on an international flight?

Which fare classes are SWU upgradeable on an international flight (for instance, LAX > NRT).

Thanks!

GoPUBoilers Aug 14, 2012 2:08 pm

W and higher for tickets booked in Economy. Any business fare other than Z in Business for 3-cabin aircraft.

luv2ctheworld Aug 14, 2012 2:25 pm

Here you go:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=united+airlines+swu+fare+class

davewang202 Aug 14, 2012 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by joedish (Post 19119791)
For travel including (i.e. to, from, or wholly within) Region 2, a GPU may be used to upgrade from: United Business - C, D; United Economy - Y, B, E, M, U, H, Q, V, W. For travel wholly within Region 1, a GPU may also be used to upgrade from booking classes: United Economy - S, T, K, L.

What happened to G? :)

GrizShel Aug 14, 2012 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 19119574)
The best way to maximize chances is to waitlist for it. When the system is working properly - and it actually does some times ;) - the upgrade inventory never shows up to the GDS so no alerts will trigger. If it isn't working properly - which also happens some times - then having the alert will allow you to call in and have the agent process the request.

Yes I've waitlisted with the swu also. The only seat reserved so far in First on the flight is for my companion. So I guess it's just a waiting game now while hoping they don't have a buyout of the first class cabin in the next few months.

sbm12 Aug 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by GoPUBoilers (Post 19119784)
W and higher for tickets booked in Economy. Any business fare other than Z in Business for 3-cabin aircraft.

Or P.

Originally Posted by davewang202 (Post 19120180)
What happened to G? :)

It is eligible for RPUs but not GPUs.

Also, be careful when saying "international" in this context. There are many international routes with no fare restrictions for RPUs or GPUs. The proper distinction should be whether the route is marketed as GlobalFirst/BusinessFirst or not. Route which are have the fare restrictions on GPUs and cannot be upgraded with RPUs. More details direct from the company here: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/default.aspx.

vnatraj Sep 9, 2012 7:00 pm

greasemonkey script not working

Is the greasemonkey script working on .bomb now? I don't seem to be able to see any fare bucket availability anymore.

FlyinHawaiian Sep 9, 2012 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 19272966)
Hi Everyone,

Later this evening we’ll be making a change on united.com that will remove the ability to see the specific allocation of seat inventory made to each Fare Class (this is the Fare Class hyperlink found in the right-most column when searching for flights or viewing itinerary details). I know that this is a popular feature for many of you here – in fact, we liked it too. But, it wasn’t without issues. Specifically, for many customers who are not as familiar with the ins and outs of fare structures, there was often room for this information to be misinterpreted. It also left the door open for undesired exposure that allowed automated scripts to scrape and re-display information in ways for which it was not intended.

That said, we have great appreciation for the transparency this information offered. For example, having a better understanding of how full a flight is, along with knowing how many other customers want to upgrade on a flight, can be critical in deciding whether to pay to guarantee a seat immediately, use mileage to upgrade, hold out to see if a space-available upgrade will clear or select another flight all together. We are committed to improving transparency around this. But, instead of simply exposing fare class inventory (which is quite confusing to most customers), we are working on better ways to share this more meaningful information. You’ll see one new feature added with this release and even more changes that work toward this effort in future releases.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines

sbm12 Sep 9, 2012 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by vnatraj (Post 19284570)
Is the greasemonkey script working on .bomb now? I don't seem to be able to see any fare bucket availability anymore.

Nope.

I just put out a new script and revised instructions for upgrade inventory. It isn't nearly as easy or intuitive but it does work. At least from what I can tell.

Details here: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...rch-a-wee-bit/.

RS250Racer Sep 9, 2012 7:15 pm

EDIT: Nevermind, just found the 60 pg thread to rant about this new feature!!

vnatraj Sep 9, 2012 7:39 pm

Thanks!

dmbfan222 Sep 10, 2012 1:21 pm

I'm currently waitlisted using a GPU on 12/31 UA917 FRA-IAD from Y->C. When I search for the flight and select the "Mileage Plus Upgrade Reward" button, it shows that it will book it into R, but my GPU hasn't cleared. I called and asked them to clear it manually and they said they couldn't.

Thoughts? Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance for the help.

Edit: Now it appears to be gone, but it was definitely available 15min ago when I called and was available after I hung up as well.

sbm12 Sep 10, 2012 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by dmbfan222 (Post 19289302)
Edit: Now it appears to be gone, but it was definitely available 15min ago when I called and was available after I hung up as well.

Either someone else called in and jumped you in line or someone else was ahead of you on the waitlist and they cleared instead of you or IM removed the inventory from the flight.

There are probably other viable explanations, too, but those are three that come to mind easily.

BilligCharlie Sep 10, 2012 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by dmbfan222 (Post 19289302)
I called and asked them to clear it manually and they said they couldn't.

"Couldn't" as in, they didn't see the R space? OR
"Wouldn't" as in, they could see the R space, but would not perform the manual override?

dmbfan222 Sep 10, 2012 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by cocaine (Post 19289874)
"Couldn't" as in, they didn't see the R space? OR
"Wouldn't" as in, they could see the R space, but would not perform the manual override?

Couldn't, sorry.

Thanks sbm12, I guess that may have happened here.

38,000feet Sep 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Thanks sbm12. i'm not sure if i can still install scripts in chrome that don't come from the chrome store (mac os 10.8.1). any workarounds?