Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geofflaredo
At the very least, I'm wondering what the alert is based on.
They are scraping the UA site to get that data. It is possible the seat appeared and then disappeared between when they searched it and when you went back to look. Inventory is dynamic.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Hey all,

This seemed like the most logical place to ask, but if it isn't please by all means move it. I'm looking for a Saver First (Or C I guess) award SIN-anywhere in the U.S. on 7/7. Preferably TPAC, and preferably the bank that departs early morning (6ish AM). I've scoured EF, ANA, UA.com, etc., but the combination of routings and gateways makes it a huge undertaking.

I'm guessing my best bet is connection wherever and final destination ORD, EWR, or IAD, but even that is proving tricky. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CLEguy
Any suggestions?
Search segment by segment, starting with the over-water flights. And good luck. You're going to need it.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by sbm12
Search segment by segment, starting with the over-water flights. And good luck. You're going to need it.
Haha, that bodes well. Thanks. I was able to stay on too of segment by segment availability to jump on LH O JFK-SIN as soon as it opened. Hopefully I'll have the same luck on the return.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Hey all,

This seemed like the most logical place to ask, but if it isn't please by all means move it. I'm looking for a Saver First (Or C I guess) award SIN-anywhere in the U.S. on 7/7. Preferably TPAC, and preferably the bank that departs early morning (6ish AM). I've scoured EF, ANA, UA.com, etc., but the combination of routings and gateways makes it a huge undertaking.

I'm guessing my best bet is connection wherever and final destination ORD, EWR, or IAD, but even that is proving tricky. Any suggestions?
There was some mixed availability going to either SEA or YVR. NRT-DEN is also wide open
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:57 pm
aku

Programs: UA 1MM, Marr/SPG LT Plat, HH Gold, IC Amb, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5*, BW LT Diam
Just found Expert Mode again!

Sometime last year, my searches stopped showing the inventory of all the fare classes. I figured that .bomb had just removed another feature. Today I learned that what they did was disable Expert Mode in my profile, and I never knew how to find that setting on the UACO website until reading this thread. Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 4:58 am

Guaranteed Upgrades

Suppose one had considerable flexibility on a trip - it would be possible to choose one of many possible sets of dates, or just not go at all.

Is there a way to purchase an economy ticket, and know for sure than an upgrade, using GPUs, would go through? Either by knowing there is availability in advance, or by cancelling the ticket once purchased (without fee) within some limited period, if the upgrade does not clear? (I think there is a 24-hour free refund period, or something like that?)

Ideally, the trip would originate in SIN, and go to the US. If upgraded, don't care that much whether it is through HKG and NRT. The US end would most likely require an intra-US flight.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by ostrotech
Suppose one had considerable flexibility on a trip - it would be possible to choose one of many possible sets of dates, or just not go at all.

Is there a way to purchase an economy ticket, and know for sure than an upgrade, using GPUs, would go through? Either by knowing there is availability in advance, or by cancelling the ticket once purchased (without fee) within some limited period, if the upgrade does not clear? (I think there is a 24-hour free refund period, or something like that?)

Ideally, the trip would originate in SIN, and go to the US. If upgraded, don't care that much whether it is through HKG and NRT. The US end would most likely require an intra-US flight.
Welcome ostrotech.

What you are looking for is availability of the R bucket, which means that a GPU applied will clear. You can see these buckets by turning on "Expert mode" on the UA website, after logging in.

Once that is turned on, the 'fare class' text becomes an active link which will open a box with the fare bucket info.

In FT lingo, you will see people write "R=2" which means you can book and apply a GPU or miles upgrade and get it confirmed right away.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Welcome ostrotech.

What you are looking for is availability of the R bucket, which means that a GPU applied will clear. You can see these buckets by turning on "Expert mode" on the UA website, after logging in.

Once that is turned on, the 'fare class' text becomes an active link which will open a box with the fare bucket info.

In FT lingo, you will see people write "R=2" which means you can book and apply a GPU or miles upgrade and get it confirmed right away.
Or, if you call UA Reservations, just ask them to look for flights where "upgrade space can be immediately confirmed at booking."
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Welcome ostrotech.

LaserSailor,

Please clarify your steps; I'd tried exactly as you listed and I get an error basically saying i.e. no such thing as an "R" bucket...I tried EWR-LAX on several Tuesdays in the future after Feb....
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:30 am

OK, many thanks for the tips, although unfortunately, there seems to be zero availability over quite a wide range of dates for the flights I'm interested in …

Originally Posted by tasnam
LaserSailor,

Please clarify your steps; I'd tried exactly as you listed and I get an error basically saying i.e. no such thing as an "R" bucket...I tried EWR-LAX on several Tuesdays in the future after Feb....
Are you perhaps entering "R" in the box where it asks for specific classes of fares? That doesn't work for me either. You have to click on the link for "fare class" next to the flights that show up after you do the search. Then it will show how many seats are in each fare class.

I guess the idea is you're not buying an "R" class fare, you're buying some other class - "R" is the class of the upgrade which occurs (or not).
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by wxguy
Or, if you call UA Reservations, just ask them to look for flights where "upgrade space can be immediately confirmed at booking."
This is the way I used to do it. I'd call reservations early in the morning midweek (when there were no weather or other IROPS going on) and tell the CSR that I was looking for 2 round trip tickets to my destination sometime on or about a desired departure date, and that I was flexible on that. Once he/she found 2 outbound seats, we looked for 2 returns, again being flexible on dates. I did that twice a year from 2004-2011 for our TATL vacations, and it always worked out fine.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Check out this "how to" thread by smb12 and download his Greasemonkey script for additional functionality.

I'd also recommend the script Darlox created and mentions in this thread.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by LeftsideWindow:22117178
Check out this "how to" thread by smb12 and download his Greasemonkey script for additional functionality.

I'd also recommend the script Darlox created and mentions in this thread.
Are there any security issues with these scripts?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ostrotech
OK, many thanks for the tips, although unfortunately, there seems to be zero availability over quite a wide range of dates for the flights I'm interested in …
There is tons of R availability ex-NRT. The problem I suspect is that you are searching for flights ex-SIN and it will not show upgrade availability unless both segments have R, and SIN-NRT rarely shows R. I would suggest you search for the NRT-US flight you want; when you book and apply the GPU, NRT-US will clear immediately, and you will waitlist for the SIN-NRT segment.

You can also try this ex-HKG, but NRT is generally a much easier upgrade than HKG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.