Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:11 am
YYC

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, National Exec Elite
Search for Upgrade Availability

Sorry for my ignorance on the 'new' UA site, but I found it very unintuitive when it comes to searching for the upgrade availability.

On the 'old' site, there was a drop down list where I could specify upgrade type. Can anyone please share some tips on using the new site?

By the way, I found it's very difficult to find upgrade availability after the merger, is it just me?

TIA!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYC
On the 'old' site, there was a drop down list where I could specify upgrade type. Can anyone please share some tips on using the new site?
This should explain how to force the United site to search for GPU-eligible fares. Or are you looking for something else?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: Marriott PLT, SPG GLD, DL PM, National EE
International Upgrade Using Miles

SFO - NRT on K fare... how probable to be able to use miles to upgrade?

NRT - EWR on S fare???

If so is that done right after booking? I normally fly DL for my Asia trips but am upset at how they require M fares (which cost twice as much as discounted fares) to be able to use miles to upgrade. So I am considering flying UA to be able to upgrade "easier"???
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:42 am

It is my understanding that you can do the upgrade during the ticket purchase (although I haven't done it). There is an option if you use the "Advanced Search" option to select upgrade with miles.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.163 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

You will have an infinitely better chance than with DL, but still no guarantees. There will be a cash co-pay plus the miles requred. At those fares the co-pay will be $550 or $600 each way, I believe. That is on top of the miles reuired. It isn't a great value, but it is an option.

You can see if a flight has award upgrade seats available during the booking process or waitlist for the upgrade if they are not. The waitlist clears by status and by fare so with no status and on the cheap fares you will be towards the bottom of the list.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:58 pm

Where do you see the available upgrades during booking process? Advanced Search?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AFONTANEZ
Where do you see the available upgrades during booking process? Advanced Search?
Check post 1 of this thread. No need to do an advanced search; just click on "Fare Class" and it is there.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 4:08 am

So if I see R0, RN0 fares available upon booking... will I be able to confirm the upgrade using miles and the $$$ right away or will I have to wait to fly date?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:05 am
Original Poster

So if I see R0, RN0 fares available upon booking... will I be able to confirm the upgrade using miles and the $$$ right away or will I have to wait to fly date?
You cannot confirm if there are zero seats available. You can wait list and it could confirm at any time up to departure.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
You cannot confirm if there are zero seats available. You can wait list and it could confirm at any time up to departure.
So the R0 and RN0 means 0 available? The number after the letters is availability then?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

So the R0 and RN0 means 0 available? The number after the letters is availability then?
Correct.
Old May 7, 2012, 2:34 am

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Hi all I've been going through this thread, but needed some more information

I have a flight IAH - LHR, LHR-IAH in Aug, I only have premiere silver hehe, but my brother is using his SWU (he is a GS i believe or 1k). It is showing up as waitlist, R0RN0, and i notice all flights pretty much are the same except for flights in 2 days. Does that usually mean that they don't open R for International until about 2 days before? are there any real odds, since i think the SWUs expire in Sept and I hate to wait till Aug to waste the SWUs of his.

Thanks, and sorry if this was answered and I missed it!
Old May 7, 2012, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by critten
Hi all I've been going through this thread, but needed some more information

I have a flight IAH - LHR, LHR-IAH in Aug, I only have premiere silver hehe, but my brother is using his SWU (he is a GS i believe or 1k). It is showing up as waitlist, R0RN0, and i notice all flights pretty much are the same except for flights in 2 days. Does that usually mean that they don't open R for International until about 2 days before? are there any real odds, since i think the SWUs expire in Sept and I hate to wait till Aug to waste the SWUs of his.

Thanks, and sorry if this was answered and I missed it!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

There really is no answer...the award inventory will show up when it decides to. Generally there isn't a lot of award space many months out.
Old May 10, 2012, 5:48 am

Flight on Sun from IAH-DEN - How to Find Upgrade Inventory?

Ok, so I am traveling as part of a group this Sunday (5/13) on UA 135 from IAH to den. I split myself apart from the group.....

I'm a premier plat

Don't know how to check expe flyer for upgrades, could someone check and tell me my chances for getting a CPU TODAY?!?!?

Please!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 10, 2012 at 5:58 am Reason: vague thread title
Old May 10, 2012, 5:58 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Please see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...inventory.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.