Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mileage earning on AC (Air Canada) operated flights

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 27, 19, 4:03 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 10, 14, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM

I used to go out of my way to fly AC whenever possible, since their in-flight comfort and amenities tend to be the best out of the North American carriers. Recent changes have somewhat soured the experience though:

- 25% mileage earning on what can be some pretty hefty fares, as the OP discovered the hard way

- No advanced seat assignments without additional payment on those same "discount" fares

- No more free bulkhead seating for *G members

Unfortunately AC has joined the US carriers in the trend to milk every possible $ out of customers, and is no longer the shining star it once was. I'll still pick them in paid Biz over any US carrier though...
Old Dec 19, 14, 7:52 pm

Programs: United 1k
air can mileage change united

trying to understand the changes to united mileage accrual for flights on air canada.
is the 100% bonus still valid?

anything north american in L is now reduced to 25$?

thanks

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 19, 14 at 8:26 pm Reason: Not a new topic
Old Dec 19, 14, 9:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by bryanwallace View Post
trying to understand the changes to united mileage accrual for flights on air canada.
is the 100% bonus still valid?

anything north american in L is now reduced to 25$?

thanks
For now, see AC MP earnings.

If you are asking about post 15 March earning?
It will depend on which ticket stock the flight is ticketed.
If an UA ticket, earnings will be based on ticket price number an elite multiplier -- there will be no further elite bonus.
If on non-UA ticket, it will be a mileage based system but the tables for that have not yet been released and there is no info yet on elite bonuses.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-distance.html for more.
Old Dec 19, 14, 11:49 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
For now, see AC MP earnings.

If you are asking about post 15 March earning?
It will depend on which ticket stock the flight is ticketed.
If an UA ticket, earnings will be based on ticket price number an elite multiplier -- there will be no further elite bonus.
If on non-UA ticket, it will be a mileage based system but the tables for that have not yet been released and there is no info yet on elite bonuses.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-distance.html for more.
i would guess that the elite bonus is similar to DL, it will be the ratio of UA elite bonus for premier level / 5 - 1.

i would guess the AC miles earned will be similar to Ac giving its own elite with the major difference is lower fare class gives 100% status miles. an exact copy of delta.
Old Jan 26, 15, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
AC International Flight accruing PQM

I am planning to fly from YVR to NRT on AC Tango L fare (on AC's website) and I am wondering if we would get 100% PQM on mileage plus. I have looked at the UA's site and it seems so but I thought I would confirm through the forum. Thanks.
Old Jan 31, 15, 7:36 am

Mileage Plus GOLD - reduced points on travel with AC United States to Canada

I have United GOLD status and am working on the next level this year...

Recently I booked a UA codeshare flight from DCA to YYZ on an Air Canada flight with a united code share flight number. It was ticketed as Air Canada economy, class T.

Flight is 359 miles and I was expecting 500 minimum PQM and 1 segment.

However, when I checked I only received 125 PQM and no segments and no qualifying cash dollars. I was referred by mileageplus support to a United site where it showed that class T on air canada (discount economy) only received 125 PQM when flying from US to Canada, or within Canada, even if a code share flight, and no matter how many miles you fly. Same 125 PQM from Chicago to Toronto, as for Newark to Vancouver..

I have several United code share flights coming up from the east coast to vancouver and if I only get 125 PQM on a cross continent flight, it would make more sense to earn AC miles....

I was shocked, but if this really is the case, i will need to only book United flights and stay away from Air Canada... so much for the Star Alliance....
Old Jan 31, 15, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Air Canada T class on short haul flights within North America earns 25% PQM - so 25% of 500 = 125

On your longer flights - you will also get 25% of the distance. So EWR-YVR will earn about 600 PQMs.

As for AC miles - here is the earning chart effective March 1 for crediting to Aeroplan
http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...milesChart.pdf

As you see, on transborder flights in T class you would earn 50% - but there are no minimums - so its 50% of actual distance.
Old Jan 31, 15, 10:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by dts9 View Post
On 1 March 2015, the mileage earning for MP will be changing. You can now see the new tables (look for March 2015 links), as the previous poster referenced and also look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-1-2015-a.html.

Earnings are also changing for UA operate flights, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-distance.html.
Old Jan 31, 15, 10:18 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Air Canada T class on short haul flights within North America earns 25% PQM - so 25% of 500 = 125

On your longer flights - you will also get 25% of the distance. So EWR-YVR will earn about 600 PQMs.

As for AC miles - here is the earning chart effective March 1 for crediting to Aeroplan
http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...milesChart.pdf

As you see, on transborder flights in T class you would earn 50% - but there are no minimums - so its 50% of actual distance.
Wouldn't EWR-YVR be a transborder flight, hence 50% RDM in T ?
Old Jan 31, 15, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
Wouldn't EWR-YVR be a transborder flight, hence 50% RDM in T ?
sorry, yes, after March 1st it would be - I guess thats an improvement over the current 25%

...but still only 25% PQM....

so confusing....
Old Jan 31, 15, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by dts9 View Post

Recently I booked a UA codeshare flight from DCA to YYZ on an Air Canada flight with a united code share flight number. It was ticketed as Air Canada economy, class T.

Flight is 359 miles and I was expecting 500 minimum PQM and 1 segment.

However, when I checked I only received 125 PQM and no segments and no qualifying cash dollars. I was referred by mileageplus support to a United site where it showed that class T on air canada (discount economy) only received 125 PQM when flying from US to Canada, or within Canada, even if a code share flight, and no matter how many miles you fly. Same 125 PQM from Chicago to Toronto, as for Newark to Vancouver..

I have several United code share flights coming up from the east coast to vancouver and if I only get 125 PQM on a cross continent flight, it would make more sense to earn AC miles....

I was shocked, but if this really is the case, i will need to only book United flights and stay away from Air Canada... so much for the Star Alliance....
Your expectations were off, likely because you assumed what the mileage earning was vs. actually looking at the earnings table.

T flying on AC metal has been Tango since they started those designations, IIRC. And while the earnings have changed a few times over he last few years, don't think T has been part of those changes for quite some time - they haven't earned full mileage for several years at least.

As for cross-country flights, 125 is the minimum on a fare class that earns 25%, but that's only the minimum and applies to flights 500 miles or less. So ORD-YYZ earns 125 on those lower tango fares, but EWR - YVR would earn 25% of the distance flown, not 125. You are misunderstanding somewhere if you determined it to mean longer flights only get 125 miles.

On the other hand, crediting miles to AC may not be much better for you. On tango fares within Canada, you earn the same 25% and on US to Canada, it's 50%. But if you move to collect with Aeroplan, you won't be able to move miles back to MP. Miles are credited by segment, so if flying EWR-YYZ and then connecting to YVR, you'll still earn just 25% on the majority of the trip. You'll also have to adapt to their system, which includes hefty fuel surcharges on rewards when even a single segment is on AC and a bunch of other * carriers (not UA, but lots of others). For example, to LHR those surcharges, in addition to miles needed can be $700+ (I've also seen them at $160 from the Midwest to YYZ).

And like UA, there have been some major program changes at Aeroplan which members do not like, so much so that even with UAs changes, many elites have taken to move to MP.

It's up to you what works best to you, but Aeroplan isn't necessarily the better way - it might be for you, but make sure you calculate this before making a decision that you could regret.

One thing is for sure - airlines around the world are re-adjusting their programs from benefitting everyone equally based on miles flown. They are now rewarding high fare flyers better then those flying rock bottom fares. It just makes sense, even if it means the shower of benefits are over for some. Most loyalty programs in other industries have been doing this for quite sometime - so it probably makes sense to just get used to it and use the programs as best can based on the new realities, and potentially re-evaluate loyalty to determine what program will reward you best based on your preferences, spending habits and flying patterns.
Old Feb 9, 15, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Help with PQMs on Air Canada (AC) Reservation - United.com Typo?

Apologies if this has been answered - I have searched this forum and cannot find the answer.

I am traveling (usa)-YYZ-YUL-CDG // CDG-YYZ-(usa) on Air Canada. Due to pricing, the ticket was purchased on AC.com (has a 014 ticket no.) but has my MP number.

Flights are all Tango fares: T,T,K,L,G. Transatlantic segments are K and L, respectively.

I realize I will not get any EQDs and will get only 50% redeemable miles, but will I get 100% EQMs? The chart at http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=313 (at bottom of page) is completely unclear, with two "Discount Economy" lines in the "Premier qualification" table. Should that table read like the others on the page, i.e. flights within Canada in S,T,A,L,K receive 25% PQMs but all other flights in S,T,A,L,K receive 100% PQMs?

Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 9, 15, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by NgatesSEA View Post
Apologies if this has been answered - I have searched this forum and cannot find the answer.

I am traveling (usa)-YYZ-YUL-CDG // CDG-YYZ-(usa) on Air Canada. Due to pricing, the ticket was purchased on AC.com (has a 014 ticket no.) but has my MP number.

Flights are all Tango fares: T,T,K,L,G. Transatlantic segments are K and L, respectively.

I realize I will not get any EQDs and will get only 50% redeemable miles, but will I get 100% EQMs? The chart at http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=313 (at bottom of page) is completely unclear, with two "Discount Economy" lines in the "Premier qualification" table. Should that table read like the others on the page, i.e. flights within Canada in S,T,A,L,K receive 25% PQMs but all other flights in S,T,A,L,K receive 100% PQMs?

Thanks for any help.
IME, the base RDM's and the base EQM's always match (not considering any bonuses). So if they list 25% or 50%, you will end up with that %age of EQM's
Old Feb 9, 15, 9:08 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
The chart is definitely now ambiguous, since as you mention the chart does not define which routes map to which Tango fare breakdowns for PQMs, other than for minimums.

For redeemable miles, they are bringing this in-line with what Aeroplan credits: 25% within Canada and 50% everywhere else. (Prior to this UA gave 25% within North America and 100% everywhere else -- so it's a win for Canada->N/A and a loss for international!)

I am HOPING that the change in what gets 25% redeemable also means that the 25% PQM will only apply to within Canada, and other flights in North America will now earn 100% PQM (instead of the 25% they earned before). But I'm going to put my money on this not being so, since they are still defining the 125 vs 500 minimum split on the North America definition.

I guess we won't know for sure until a) they clarify the chart or b) after March 1 when someone flies on a Tango fare within North America and let's us know what posts.
Old Feb 17, 15, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Credit deserved!

Kudos to @UAInsider for updating the chart on United.com in response to my PM. We certainly give UA a lot of flack here, sometimes deserved, but it is great to have a timely and responsive exchange with them, and to see that they really can help clear up issues on the United website.

The PQM earning on AC for S, T, A, L, K is 100% of miles flown for flights outside of Canada (http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mark...spx?ItemId=313). Glad to hear it!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: