Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mileage earning on AC (Air Canada) operated flights (P now 150%)

Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA mileage earning on AC (Air Canada) operated flights (P now 150%)

Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by rebech34
Hello,

I'm a UA Star Gold flying IAH - YUL - TLV and back on June in Premium Economy mapped into N class (AC).
How do they calculate the millage earnings? It says that N class on AC gets 125%. A little confused here...

Thanks,
R
Chances of either flight operating in June are almost zero. At least because the destination is TLV you ll be able get a refund.

AC doesnt adjust their schedule until a few weeks before the flights, they sell as many flights as they can without ever intending to operate them because they dont refund cancelled flights.
rebech34 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 5:29 pm

For those taking advantage of 200% earnings on AC P fares, those fares will only earn 150% on flights flown after July 1. That's still better than most other airlines, but AC P fares are no longer such a cheap way to achieve Mileage Plus status.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Chances of either flight operating in June are almost zero. At least because the destination is TLV you ll be able get a refund.

AC doesnt adjust their schedule until a few weeks before the flights, they sell as many flights as they can without ever intending to operate them because they dont refund cancelled flights.
I thought they were actually starting to refund now (maybe the $25 Million proposed fine from the DOT helped move them along).

On the other hand, waiting on hold for AC to try and get an agent to help you refund....that's a whole other issue.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I thought they were actually starting to refund now (maybe the $25 Million proposed fine from the DOT helped move them along).
On the other hand, waiting on hold for AC to try and get an agent to help you refund....that's a whole other issue.
They are now refunding with taxpayer money after getting a bailout. But only for trips booked up to April something. New trips are subject to new T&Cs.

While 200% may have been a good incentive to buy P fares on this airline, knocking it down to 150% makes it easier to avoid, which is a good thing.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe

It was much easier going to the chargeback route for my client when AC told us to pound sand over a newly "impossible" re-route option during the depth of the virus crisis. We prevailed with nothing more than a screenshot of their spaghetti dish of mixed segments plus the DOT's statement regarding mandatory refunds for cancelations due to inoperable flights. It's undeniably difficult to give Air Canada any money considering how they treated customers throughout this event, but it's also not so easy to find 150% on relatively cheap P fares, and sometimes even Z fares, that can go either east or westbound.

If ANA would come up with a more stable and frequent release of reasonably priced upgradeable G fares, I would probably go for that option.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 4:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This UA forum thread is about AC earning when crediting to UA.

Berating AC for its refund issues is topic best for the AC forum.

Let's stay on the UA issues in this forum.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:07 pm

Programs: AF Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, AC 25K, United MP Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
For those taking advantage of 200% earnings on AC P fares, those fares will only earn 150% on flights flown after July 1. That's still better than most other airlines, but AC P fares are no longer such a cheap way to achieve Mileage Plus status.
Boy that sucks. I have a return YOW-YVR first week of July that I was going to credit to UA.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 6:06 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
That's a bummer. Longer segments like YYZ/YUL-TLV still bump into the 1,500 PQP limit, but shorter TATL flights will definitely be less attractive.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 9:42 pm

How was this critical info just buried here???
Old Jul 18, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Stupid question if I need to go to YEG from EWR in August once the border re-opens and AC is the only way to go can I call UA and book an 016 ticket on AC metal? Or would it be more beneficial PQD wise to book on AC and credit back to UA MP?
Old Jul 18, 2021, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by seravaf
Stupid question if I need to go to YEG from EWR in August once the border re-opens and AC is the only way to go can I call UA and book an 016 ticket on AC metal? Or would it be more beneficial PQD wise to book on AC and credit back to UA MP?
You can always call UA to book a 016 ticket on AC metal.

Depending on how much you spend, earning PQPs will be affected: United PQP/PQF + RDM Calculator

David
Old Jul 19, 2021, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
You can always call UA to book a 016 ticket on AC metal.
Not necessarily. UA agents will often refuse to ticket a flight unless at least one segment has a UA flight number.

Google Flights will often provide a link to purchase a ticket on United, even without any United-operated or coded flights.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jsloan
Not necessarily. UA agents will often refuse to ticket a flight unless at least one segment has a UA flight number.
That was my assertion from the OP - if the AC flight has a UA flight number, then calling UA to book a 016 ticket should work.

David
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The border thing is a moving target which might be derailed by the delta variant, so I would book the ticket with whoever the most flexible ticket policy - Air Canada is notorious for making this problematic.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Stupid question … if I need to go to YEG from EWR in August once the border re-opens … and AC is the only way to go … can I call UA and book an 016 ticket on AC metal? Or would it be more beneficial PQD wise to book on AC and credit back to UA MP?
Hey fellow YEG traveller, saw the announcement today YEG can get some INTL flights back finally, hope we get them back ASAP!! I remember the days of YEG-EWR direct, man those were great eh....

Anyways I would just book on AC stock (ie AC website)

I have been flying out of YEG booking AC tickets and have been racking up the PQP since we have been basically kinda locked domestically since this pandemic started.

You get a mileage based return when booking direct with AC, you would get way less PQP if you booked with UA direct, the difference magnifies if you book P fares on AC. I also have never had an issue with miles crediting OK to UA MP. Good luck
DELee likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.