Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Between Some City Pairs is Different After System Integration-Resolved by UA.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Between Some City Pairs is Different After System Integration-Resolved by UA.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by dls25
That is my beef with this as well. I wouldn't really care as long as the changes were consistent. I really don't understand how DEN can be closer to both LAX and MSP.
It's simple. While we here in the US were asleep on Friday night March 2, the radius of the earth shrunk so that all points on the earth are closer to each other. Rather like a balloon losing some of its air. Must have been a pretty fierce mantle eating microbe, Or maybe it was a giant monster that went straight to the inner core of the planet.

All joking aside, this maneuver is really bugging me. I sure hope it is stupidity instead of pettiness.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by ORD-LIH
Shannon has been asked a number of times to address this in the systems integration master thread. It hasn't been added to the list of official "cock ups" that the airline is trying to fix. I wouldn't hold my breath until every other more serious operational issue is addressed (and that, it would appear, is going to take quite some time).
I'm not asking her to fix it (well, I'd like UA to) but rather to explain why there are new, shorter distance calculations.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:14 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Sad about the mileage shrinkage. Even sadder we can't make Seinfeld references (or refer to common industry terms for leakage, theft, reduction in value, "differences", etc). Really?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:16 am

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Not only did I get hit with cities closer together, I also got hit with the cities being closer for flights flown before 3/3, and only 50% bonuses on US flights during the week prior to 3/3 when it should still be 100%... Joy.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K-MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Avis something or other
Did the merger make airports closer together?

I just had 4 segments from last week post. I flew the same routes the previous week. They are all US flights.

On 2/21 MEM-CLT was 512 miles credited to UA's old site.
On 2/27 MEM-CLT was 510 miles.

On 2/21 CLT-MSP was 930.
On 2/27 CLT-MSP was 929.

The only difference I can see is that the merger finalized in between these posting to my account. The roundtrip is now 6 miles less!
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
I've noticed that too. My main travel leg is IAH->EWR. Before 3/3 it was 1415 miles, now its 1395.

Here is another change too.

IAH->YYZ - 1280 pre 3/3
IAH->YYZ - 1278 post 3/3

Looks like all the airports inched a littler closer, is this a sign of the world shrinkning?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Based on one data point they just averaged what PMUA used and PMCO used.

PMUA FRA-JNB=5380
PMCO FRA-JNB=5400

Now it is 5390

I am sure it is not as simple as this though.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

already being discussed here. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tegration.html
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Well I suppose this could be the result of global warming

The good news is that we can expect to see UA lower their fares and fuel surcharges since they have figured out how to shorten the distances between city pairs. Well maybe not.

And is it just a coincidence they changed one of their PassPlus products from a mileage based fare system to a zone based system in conjunction with the shorter distances?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: QR: Gold; Marriott: Amb; UA: 1K; Taj: Silv
Originally Posted by dls25
That is my beef with this as well. I wouldn't really care as long as the changes were consistent. I really don't understand how DEN can be closer to both LAX and MSP.
Speaking of consistency, IAD SEA yesterday afternoon. My boarding pass showed 2297 miles, and the monitors at the gate showed 2306.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:04 am

Seems like the more popular routes got hit with more shrinkage... I'm sure they'll blame this on a bug though. Probably the reason for putting in a few increases was so they could deflect blame.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
I guess they feel that they are so big, the gravetational pull of their hubs has increased! Everthing is getting sucked in!
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
http://consumerist.com/2012/03/unite...-together.html

And warrenG24, miles *have* posted as of last night and have been turned on. The problem many are experiencing is that city pairs are now closer together ON the posting (as of mine, ORD-SFO posted as 1,839 EQM, instead of 1,846).

We also lost PQMs from all PMUA flights previous to the posting-PQMS that were previously in tact post integration
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
Originally Posted by Duke777
All of my booked reservations grew: DCA-DEN and DEN-ORD. I think I will net an extra 26 miles.
You might want to check again--ORD-DEN used to be 888 now it is 885.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United 1K, Emerald Club Elite Exec
Flew 3/2 before integration and DEN-SJC is now posting 944 instead of 948. This will mean a loss of 432eqms for me a year. I know not a big deal but still not a change I like as I have to already fly over 105 flights a year to hit 1k status

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.