Finding Available Upgrades

Old Mar 3, 12, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat, SPG Gld, HH Gld, MR Gld
Finding Available Upgrades

On the old UA site one could do a search for award travel and see (under the flight details link) available upgrades on a flight. This was quite helpful when planning my overseas trips. Is there a simple way to see the same information on the new site (which is very clunky & not so user friendly)?

Or is there an alternate approach to find availability?
Old Mar 3, 12, 1:03 pm

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
It's actually easier! The fare class info is accessible when you're just looking to book a ticket - ie same webpage as the fare price!

Do a booking, and you'll see the different fare prices.

So now when you look at a fare, you can click the "Fare Class" text (that is in blue ink) on the right-hand field of the fare shown.

Then a tiny window pops open that shows the different fare classes, including the upgrades. You just need to know the codes. Here's a quick primer:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...uckets-ua.html

HTH
Michael
Old Mar 3, 12, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Posted by UA Insider...

Hi SiliconValley1k, when searching for flights on united.com, you can view availability by selecting the Fare Class link when viewing the details for each flight.

Specifically, if you’re looking for award travel or upgrade availability, here are the new fare classes:

R = Upgrade awards for and 2-cabin aircraft and BusinessFirst/United Business on 3-cabin aircraft
ON = Upgrade awards for Global First and United First on 3-cabin aircraft
X/XN = Saver Awards for United Economy (XN for Premier members)
I/IN = Saver Awards for United Business, BusinessFirst, United First on 2-cabin aircraft (IN for Premier Platinum and above)
O = Saver Awards for Global First and United First on 3-cabin aircraft
It does not, however, appear that you can actually SEARCH for the fare classes; i.e. while you can search for Y, B, M etc, searches for I return an invalid fare class error.

Which is unfortunate - would be very nice to be able to just search for the flights with availability without having click on a whole bunch of links.
Old Mar 3, 12, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you want to search for regular award flights rather than upgrades choose the reward search option. Or scan the fare codes and look for the appropriate inventory, but the revenue searches don't include partners. If you want to make it a bit easier to spot the award/upgrade buckets in the regular search try this: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...w-on-steroids/. It should be working with the new URLs now.
Old Mar 3, 12, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The big question: NC availability.

THe real crux of this, however, is how to use those SWU's with NC availability. Anybody know how to find NC avilability on the new system?
Old Mar 3, 12, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by SFflyer123 View Post
THe real crux of this, however, is how to use those SWU's with NC availability. Anybody know how to find NC avilability on the new system?
Isn't R the new NC? I've been looking at some future flights, and have found some R availability.
Old Mar 3, 12, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
Isn't R the new NC?
Yes, it is.
Old Mar 3, 12, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
If you want to search for regular award flights rather than upgrades choose the reward search option. Or scan the fare codes and look for the appropriate inventory, but the revenue searches don't include partners. If you want to make it a bit easier to spot the award/upgrade buckets in the regular search try this: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...w-on-steroids/. It should be working with the new URLs now.
I went to the link and added the script to my FireFox browser. Then went to the new United site and did a search on some flights. I made sure and checked the award upgrade box on the search page. I was able to locate a number of available award upgrades on the flights I was interested in; and the available upgrades were highlighted in green (R) right next to the flights in the fare bucket box! (Fare bucket box became visible once I added the script to my browser.) Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 12, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I added this to Chrome for the Mac---way cool and thanks
Old Mar 4, 12, 9:19 am

Programs: Continental
Greasemonkey doesn't seem to work on my browser since the website change yesterday...any thoughts?
Old Mar 5, 12, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hockey7711 View Post
Greasemonkey doesn't seem to work on my browser since the website change yesterday...any thoughts?
Seems to be working for me this afternoon. I'm using FireFox as my browser.