Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

45 Minute Boarding Time for Narrow-Body Aircraft on UA?

45 Minute Boarding Time for Narrow-Body Aircraft on UA?

Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
This is how CO did it, and thus, this is now how UA does it

Love how they continue to do 35 minutes for RJs, and never, ever board at T-35
T-35? How about T-50 for an ERJ-145?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:07 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
FYI

BOS UC (RCC) agents have advised that as of 4/1 the boarding times will be adjusted. Boarding passes will be revised to reflect this change.

753's, 752's, and 739's and above will be 45 minutes

738's, 73G's, 735's, A320's, and A319's will be 30 minutes

Until 4/1, the policy at BOS is to board all narrow-body mainline flights at 30 minutes.

IMHO: 45 min to board a 752 or 739 is totally excessive. 753, I can understand needing 45 minutes.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by warreng24
FYI

BOS UC (RCC) agents have advised that as of 4/1 the boarding times will be adjusted. Boarding passes will be revised to reflect this change.

753's, 752's, and 739's and above will be 45 minutes

738's, 73G's, 735's, A320's, and A319's will be 30 minutes

Until 4/1, the policy at BOS is to board all narrow-body mainline flights at 30 minutes.

IMHO: 45 min to board a 752 or 739 is totally excessive. 753, I can understand needing 45 minutes.
Weird so there adding 10 minutes of boarding time to the 739, and subtracting 5 minutes of the boarding time for the 738, 73G & 735.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by warreng24

Remember the GAs have more work now under SHARES than they had with FastAir. I'm not just referring to the lengthier commands to do basic gate tasks (e.g., standbys, seat changes, etc).

One GA showed me the list of things they have to do to close out a flight in SHARES vs. Fastair, and it was significantly more with SHARES.

OAL-issued tickets, for example, don't sync to SHARES, so people coming in on OAL-issued tickets on connections may have BPs without the e-ticket attached. The GAs are supposed to look out for these and manually resync them. This probably hits the hubs the hardest, and also the OAL hubs where customers make interline connections.

Similarly, SHARES has no validation for SecureFlight information -- you can get a BP and get on the plane in some circumstances without having entered this information. This is something the GAs are supposed to look out for before and during the boarding process.

The PMUA environment provided not just a nicer and easier interface, but als a cleaner baseline for agents when boarding starts. With the messier SHARES environment, the days of boarding an oversold 757 in 30 minutes by just one (1) GA are pretty much gone. At least until they upgrade or replace the system.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Weird so there adding 10 minutes of boarding time to the 739, and subtracting 5 minutes of the boarding time for the 738, 73G & 735.
I know that on PMUA it was a contractual item as to when they could send customers down, as it impacted the time they pay the FAs. I'm not sure if CO had similar such provisions.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus(ick)
Originally Posted by aacharya
You hit the nail on the head. That particular FTer likes to note items that aren't correct simply as they're not happy that UA is dbaCO. CO in fact moved back to the UA procedure (Zone).

chasbondy was accurate this time. It's the pax with their bags so heavy they can't lift them.
Just because they changed back to zones (Groups, actually)....doesn't mean the boarding process is the EXACT same as PMUA.
United used to do the groups, but also order the groups by Window, Middle Aisle. I thought this was a brilliant system and almost never took more than 30min. to load a 752.

But on my last 752 flight from LAX to EWR, with the new "group" system, it seemed like there were a lot of scrum milling back n forth in the aisles. Way more than pre 3/3.

So even though they have groups, do they no longer do WMA? It sure didn't seem like it but I don't know for sure.
Whatever it is, it's way different and not nearly as organized.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Annoying isn't it?

I flew IAD-BUF last week on a CRJ-200. Departure time was 4:58 PM. I walked up to the gate at 4:20 PM and they were paging "Final Boarding". I hustled on board thinking I was late. Naturally, we sat until 5:15 PM waiting on late connecting passengers

There's no reason a RJ needs to board any earlier than 25 minutes or even 20 minutes early like PMUA had set up.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Sitting here at JFK - cant help but notice the AA 777-300 boards 40 minutes prior, despite having 300+ pax. UA, take note - enough padding already.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Sitting here at JFK - cant help but notice the AA 777-300 boards 40 minutes prior, despite having 300+ pax. UA, take note - enough padding already.
Agreed. I fondly remember when a 757 would board 30 minutes prior to departure and the door would close 5-10 minutes prior to scheduled departure.

Now I don't leave the UC or board until I absolutely have to (disclaimer: I prefer to check my bag so rollaboard space isn't a concern to me.) so that I don't spend 45 minutes onboard waiting to go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.