Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

During integration, did my upgrade request change to an offer to upgrade for cash?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

During integration, did my upgrade request change to an offer to upgrade for cash?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Exactly. And the up-fare change fee to A (if available) is waived.

Funny since people had request that the up-fare be waived for years...

Now if we could just get them to waive it for K->W on int'l itins
Or better yet, let you waitlist an SWU for a K fare and charge the buy-up to W only if it clears. (All right, you can charge me up front and refund the fee if the upgrade does not clear!) I wouldn't even mind too much paying a modest premium for the upgrade if it clears, say another $50, rather than a $250 change fee.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:47 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
This new thread, which is made up of posts moved from this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...hread-pss.html has now been rebuilt and is again open for discussion. Thanks for your patience. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
yes

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
I've flown about 400k BIS on UA in the past 4 years and have seen this a bunch prior to the merger.

yeah, this has been happening quite consistently domestically for well over a year, more like two actually.

I've been offerred upgrades for money at ticketing, and OCLI and at the airport.
I've had offers to upgrade for say my nephew (GM) when I'm a 1k upgrading with a CR1, then at t-100 or even t-24 and yet the boy gets a 200$+ upgrade offer at OCLI.

I've been on mileage awards both domestically and int'l and had colleagues or spouse on the SWU (or CR1 or miles) upgrade lists as 1K, 1P and yet myself on a mileage award get offered a UFC both int'l and domestic.

money talks, status walks.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I still go back to... if someone wants to buy an A fare, who am I to tell them they can't?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
I still go back to... if someone wants to buy an A fare, who am I to tell them they can't?
No problem with that myself, but do have a bit of a problem with waiving the change fee. If I knowingly buy a discounted ticket, I'm forced to pay $150 or more whenever I want to change my plans, even if the new ticket is much more expensive than the old one. Therefore it's particularly annoying to see that the only time they seem willing to waive the fee is when some lower status person wants to bump me out of my upgrade because he's having second thoughts about buying that cheap fare that won't get him upgraded. Obviously not as bad as TODs, but I still feel that people should either buy that A fare in the first place, or live by the same reticketing rules that apply elsewhere.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 4:06 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
This is something that both United and Continental have done for some time. Complimentary upgrades are cleared based on inventory being made available and are separate from Upgrades for Cash (UFC). The $359 is likely the upfare from the current booked fare to the lowest fare that books into F.

This is not related to the PSS switchover or the merger.
So how about in my case where I am waitlisted using a RPU (old Cr1, right?) applied at booking and I have an offer as follows....

How would you like to upgrade?

Buy Up to United Business

New York, NY (JFK) to San Francisco, CA (SFO)
$596 per person
JFK to SFO | 6 hr 28 mn| Boeing 757-200| United Economy/Meals for Purchase| 9 Seats Available
I thought based on UA Insider's posts, buy-up upgrades were not supposed to happen until elites on a waitlist had cleared
Old Mar 3, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
$596 per person 1-way looks to me like it is probably the fare class difference between what you paid for your economy seat and the cheapest business class fare (Z?). If so then there is nothing wrong with the offer. They are simply giving you another chance to actually buy a biz class seat. The buy-ups that UA Insider said should not happen would be cheaper "fill the cabin" buy ups - those should not occur until upgrades clear if I understood her correctly. But there is never anything wrong with someone actually paying UA the real price of a biz class seat - that does and should take precedence over any instrument upgrade.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by pdx1M
$596 per person 1-way looks to me like it is probably the fare class difference between what you paid for your economy seat and the cheapest business class fare (Z?). If so then there is nothing wrong with the offer. They are simply giving you another chance to actually buy a biz class seat. The buy-ups that UA Insider said should not happen would be cheaper "fill the cabin" buy ups - those should not occur until upgrades clear if I understood her correctly. But there is never anything wrong with someone actually paying UA the real price of a biz class seat - that does and should take precedence over any instrument upgrade.
Precisely.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Got it and thanks ^ but just to add a bit more information....

The flight is 5/5 and my fare all in was $219.60* ($198.00 base & $21.60 for taxes & fees) so that would make the one way business class ticket $815.60 so now to go and see what it prices out for a one way Z fare

*tho that's not what I paid of course
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
As a 1K there might have been instant upgrade availability for an M fare perhaps? Not sure what the capacity control on those are and if they are different than normal upgrades? Just guessing since you are right that $500ish doesn't sound like it would get you biz from that low an economy fare. Perhaps you shoud PM Shannon and ask her what the deal was/is.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:36 pm

As a 1K there might have been instant upgrade availability for an M fare perhaps? Not sure what the capacity control on those are and if they are different than normal upgrades? Just guessing since you are right that $500ish doesn't sound like it would get you biz from that low an economy fare. Perhaps you shoud PM Shannon and ask her what the deal was/is.
And to add.....

I just tried to book a one way Z fare and it prices out at $1,692 (as does a regular [Non-Z] Business Class ticket) and a full fare Y ticket prices out at $1,594. I also tried to book a mileage upgrade and it shows a co-pay (but I should be exempt from domestic co-pays as a 1k, right?) plus every single flight JFK-SFO on 5/5 shows in big red letters next to each flight that there are no upgrades available
Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:03 pm

5/5 price for M is $706.00
5/5 price for B is $812.70

Your original T ticket was $219.60

So $596 is about the upgrade to a B fare, actually (off by $3 or so).
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:05 pm

5/5 price for M is $706.00
5/5 price for B is $812.70

Your original T ticket was $219.60

So $596 is about the upgrade to a B fare, actually (off by $3 or so).
Thank you ^. Now the mystery is solved

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.