Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anyone else notice the new gate readers at ORD?

Old Mar 1, 12, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member

Anyone else notice the new gate readers at ORD? They are the CO style that scan from above vs. the UA black boxes that scan from below. Likely fast with mobile BPs since upon can see how well you're aligning the barcode with the scanner.

They also have new bag sizers that have space to check the size of both your carry-on (overhead bin size) and personal item (under seat size). Let's hope they use them!

Anyone else notice any other new UA items. I think these are both good improvements. I like the bag sizer is totally new (not old UA vs. old CO but rather new UA)
Old Mar 1, 12, 8:41 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Originally Posted by kenn0223 View Post
Anyone else notice the new gate readers at ORD? They are the CO style that scan from above vs. the UA black boxes that scan from below. Likely fast with mobile BPs since upon can see how well you're aligning the barcode with the scanner.

They also have new bag sizers that have space to check the size of both your carry-on (overhead bin size) and personal item (under seat size). Let's hope they use them!

Anyone else notice any other new UA items. I think these are both good improvements. I like the bag sizer is totally new (not old UA vs. old CO but rather new UA)
And yet somehow PMUA could load up a plane considerably faster than what we see today, despite rarely using a bag sizer and apparently-inadequate scanning devices.

Someday the new airline will see that the best bang for the buck is in training and efficient procedures. An even-better bang for the buck would be to simply roll back to the way UA used to handle gate procedures. Perfect? No. But a good place to start.
Old Mar 1, 12, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
The PMUA bag sizer was the best - no sides.
Old Mar 1, 12, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K (.5 MM), AA Plat/2MM
I found the UA gate scanners to be much better than the CO ones. It's hard to line your phone up to CO readers, especially when the agent has to take your phone.
Old Mar 1, 12, 9:58 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite

No more using the United app on an iPad? It puts the bar code in the middle of the screen, out of the CO gate readers' reach.

The workaround on CO, IIRC, is to pull up the web page BP, which puts the code in the corner of the screen. Of course the merged system will probably have the UA-style mobile BP web page, which also puts the bar code in the middle of the screen.
Old Mar 1, 12, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Ha, not quite the response I was hoping for (I guess it's to be expected).

I think I'm just to the point where the more progress I see towards becoming one airline the better. I'm not convinced that CO is out to get us old UA folks, at the point the big decisions have been made and these little changes are to support the goal of becoming a unified operation.

Regarding the scanners, the UA ones never seemed to work that well (not saying the new ones do) and it many iPhone users (perhaps one who are not frequent travelers) struggled when turning their phones upside down caused the barcode to jump around. I think people who try to use an iPad as their mobile BP are rare (it kinda defeats the purpose - why not just use your phone).

Anyways....it's all over tomorrow and then we'll all live happily ever after
Old Mar 1, 12, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Ha, not quite the response I was hoping for (I guess it's to be expected).

I think I'm just to the point where the more progress I see towards becoming one airline the better. I'm not convinced that CO is out to get us old UA folks, at the point the big decisions have been made and these little changes are to support the goal of becoming a unified operation.
A miserable travel experience is still a miserable travel experience, one airline or not. I'm just fortunate that AA is keeping me well occupied so I can fly them instead of UA.

Regarding the scanners, the UA ones never seemed to work that well (not saying the new ones do) and it many iPhone users (perhaps one who are not frequent travelers) struggled when turning their phones upside down caused the barcode to jump around. I think people who try to use an iPad as their mobile BP are rare (it kinda defeats the purpose - why not just use your phone).
Why have to juggle a second electronic device at the gate when you don't have to?
Old Mar 1, 12, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK View Post
Why have to juggle a second electronic device at the gate when you don't have to?
I think everyone has their own system when traveling. My point was I don't use my iPad with the mobile boarding pass, I don't think most do, but I sure there are some.

I would expect that the frequency of people who have problems with screens on iPhones and many android devices getting messed up by turning upside down is higher than the number of folks using their iPad as a mobile BP.
Old Mar 2, 12, 12:10 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K (.5 MM), AA Plat/2MM
I wonder if they will bring the overhead LCD screens back to the check-in lobby at ORD after the 3rd (right now they seem to have poster board over them). It used to allow them to dynamically change check-in areas for international/domestic non-elite bag check.
Old Mar 2, 12, 12:57 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
I think people who try to use an iPad as their mobile BP are rare (it kinda defeats the purpose - why not just use your phone).
My cheap phone is not exactly suitable for the task (the lack of data connectivity is one issue), so not using my iPad would totally, not just kinda, defeat the purpose of the mobile BP.

That being said, pulling out a second device is silly. Since I'm usually waiting around with my iPad (connected via a MiFi in those backwater airports without free WiFi, e.g. ORD), pulling out a phone would be more annoying than using my iPad. I can and usually do slip a paper BP into the iPad case. Doing so would be faster and more sensible than pulling out a phone that I do not have .

I once used a netbook for this purpose, but that was mostly for the lulz.

many iPhone users (perhaps one who are not frequent travelers) struggled when turning their phones upside down caused the barcode to jump around.
The iPad has a nice switch that fixes that problem. The switch is not necessary when using the CO (now UA) app, as it does not rotate.
Old Mar 2, 12, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mlx52 View Post
I found the UA gate scanners to be much better than the CO ones. It's hard to line your phone up to CO readers, especially when the agent has to take your phone.
Agreed - I've found it awkward to hold my phone up on the CO ones, and it's easier to hit a key and screw up your display. Much easier to hold on the sides and face down on the UA readers.

But of course we'll be using the CO way going forward.
Old Mar 2, 12, 7:18 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
I believe PMUA has the "read from above" scanners in LAS. Then again, it was one of the first stations to have a scanner, before they went with the black box for rest of the stations.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: