Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Getting Afraid to Even Try - Will moving award from C to F cause too many hassles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting Afraid to Even Try - Will moving award from C to F cause too many hassles?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Right now my husband and I are booked using UA miles in business class on LH for DFW-FRA-VCE with a stopover and then VCE-MUC-FCO. The return is also business class on LH by way of FCO-FRA-DFW.

I had been planning to change to First class on our flight over (using more miles) when LH releases 1st class seats at 14 days out. I had thought we would enjoy experiencing LH first class as well as the FCT, but frankly reading some of the posted horror stories on totally screwed up itineraries has made me very nervous to change anything.

Am I right to not rock the "plane" or should I go for it but just make sure I see the revised itinerary before letting the agent go? Of course apparently in TPG's case apparently even that wasn't enough to secure his Swiss Air flight.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Absolutely go for it. The issues happen to a tiny handful of people on FT, the epicenter of trouble and failures for airlines. In the real world the failure rate is significantly less.

I wouldn't even give it a second thought.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:24 pm

Do you have any status so there won't be a redeposit fee? I have done those types of changes with no problem. The trick is to find those LH F seats.

You would not believe how nice the LH FC lounges are. The LH F seats are so much better then their C seats, unless you get the new ones. I like flying on the older 747's so I can get the seat and bed in F Class. Do you or your husband like Johnny Walker Blue Label? That's what served in F class on the plane and in FC lounge.

Depending on which LH FC lounge you use, there are those with private bathrooms with a nice bath tub with even a rubber ducky! The food and drinks are outstanding and if you like apple strudel, the chef makes it for you fresh and hot.

Would I change, in a heart beat! Safe travels.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Go for it. LH F and FC lounges are really, really nice.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Go for it!

I just made a last minute change on a return from Asia, to enjoy some LH F!

You'll have a great time.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Madone59
I just made a last minute change on a return from Asia, to enjoy some LH F!

You'll have a great time.
I also did it recently on an OZ flight booked using a UA Award. No problems.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by star_world
Absolutely go for it. The issues happen to a tiny handful of people on FT, the epicenter of trouble and failures for airlines. In the real world the failure rate is significantly less.
Really?

The failure rate is significant enough to notice, but it's still slim.

I think that some people do a large volume of business with UA, so they're prone to experience these sorts of problems because the failure rates are significant enough to be noticed.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
This is a safe move because worst case you will end up on UA J on the long hauls (because UA will have to open up award space to fix its mistake), and unless your LH long hauls have the 747-8, UA J is better anyway.

The FCL, the tarmac drive to the plane, the service on board, cannot beat it.

Try to get longer layovers in Germany so that you maximize the exp.

Enjoy. LH F is why you are member of M+.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by susansoaps
Right now my husband and I are booked using UA miles in business class on LH for DFW-FRA-VCE with a stopover and then VCE-MUC-FCO. The return is also business class on LH by way of FCO-FRA-DFW.

I had been planning to change to First class on our flight over (using more miles) when LH releases 1st class seats at 14 days out. I had thought we would enjoy experiencing LH first class as well as the FCT, but frankly reading some of the posted horror stories on totally screwed up itineraries has made me very nervous to change anything.

Am I right to not rock the "plane" or should I go for it but just make sure I see the revised itinerary before letting the agent go? Of course apparently in TPG's case apparently even that wasn't enough to secure his Swiss Air flight.
Welcome to FT! Yes, by all means go for it. But as you note, make sure to check the revised itinerary and confirm that it is ticketed with a ticket number (and not simply booked with a reservation and reservation number) before letting the agent go.

Originally Posted by star_world

I wouldn't even give it a second thought.
Not sure I'd call it a handful or not give it a second thought, as there seem to be a number of complaints and my own experience has included a royal UA screw-up that almost lost me an award trip on a partner carrier. But still, my basic advice is the same: Go for it.

Originally Posted by mre5765
This is a safe move because worst case you will end up on UA J on the long hauls (because UA will have to open up award space to fix its mistake), and unless your LH long hauls have the 747-8, UA J is better anyway.

The FCL, the tarmac drive to the plane, the service on board, cannot beat it.

Try to get longer layovers in Germany so that you maximize the exp.

Enjoy. LH F is why you are member of M+.
Great advice on every point, including the first. UA J is better than LH J anyway.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Star_world and Channa are both right: the chances that this will be botched are very slim. The only reason it seems bad is because the chances of a screwed-up itinerary are decidedly less slim than pre-merger. And when something bad like this happens to an FTer, it will probably end up on FT.

Having said that, you should be able to tell immediately if your flight gets messed up after switching simply by looking at your reservation on both UA's and LH's website. Makes sure the same ticket numbers are listed, each itinerary has the same PNR (one for UA and one for LH), all the schedules match. If anything is awry, call back immediately to have it fixed. It may be some hassle, but it won't take 14 days ;-)
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:32 pm

FCT is nice, but overall LH F experience is very overrated, IMHO. My last F was absolutely nothing to write home about, albeit it was old F on A330. The food was a serious downgrade from what I had on the same flight about a year ago and I heard the same from other people. Service was also so-so.

Having said that, if you are currently booked in LH C, by all means change to F if it is available, because LH C is pretty bad.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the input and the welcome. I don't have status but was going to use my Amex Plat credit for the change fee. And yes, if I can get us into F then I was going to also change to a slightly later flight to VCE so we have a bit of a longer layover instead of the 1 hr 45 min. we have now. You all have bolstered my confidence so am back to counting down the days till F seat release (hopefully).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by AntonS
FCT is nice, but overall LH F experience is very overrated, IMHO. My last F was absolutely nothing to write home about, albeit it was old F on A330. The food was a serious downgrade from what I had on the same flight about a year ago and I heard the same from other people. Service was also so-so.

Having said that, if you are currently booked in LH C, by all means change to F if it is available, because LH C is pretty bad.
Its not overrated to one that has never flown LH F, or any international F before.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by northsideguy
Depending on which LH FC lounge you use, there are those with private bathrooms with a nice bath tub with even a rubber ducky!
I very much enjoyed my A380 trip over in F in April and visit to the first class terminal. PHOTOS

Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by AntonS

Agreed agreed agreed. LH is certainly one of the better airlines out there. The FCT is nice but not any nicer then many other airlines FCL's in main terminals. The car ride to the plane is a nice gimmick ONCE!! But many times I'd prefer the FCL in the B terminal so I am not "trapped" in the FCT. I'm quite capable of walking to the gate if its close by without the need if a private car. The private cars are certainly handy though if the gate is far but it's not as "special" as many make it out to be

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.