Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?

How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 29, 22, 2:08 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Million Miler Program
Mileage accrual for Million Miler qualification is based on the flight distance of United- and United Express-operated flights.
With United's change to PQPs and PQFs, UA no longer provides information on flight / "BIS" mile
United no longer shows the BIS mileage. For now, the app is showing segment miles during booking -- but united.com is not.
Presently using UA's timetable to research the flight, the flight miles are provided

Alternatively, you can use third-party tools like, gcmap to get a number. It may differ from UA's number by a few miles
Building a UA city pair BIS table
And finally, you can trust UA to track your miles (There have been very, very few instances of issues and less recently)
  • For elites, there is 500 lifetime mile minimum for UA/UX flights. (still true in 2020 and PQP/PQF era)
  • There is no elite bonus or class of service bonus.
  • BIS miles = PQMs for 100% fares
  • Bus operated land connections booked as UA flight numbers earn lifetime miles
  • No partner flights earn UA lifetime miles.
  • Flight number / codeshare / ticket stock does not matter -- as long as it is a United-operated flight that is being credited to UA MP program.
  • No credit card activity earns UA lifetime miles
  • Only paid flights (including BULK / most consolidator tickets), no credit for award flights
  • There is no method for purchasing lifetime miles
  • Basic Economy segments are non-mileage earning and do not earn lifetime miles In the second iteration of BE (2018Q4), LT mileage earning appears to have been restored (100% 50% of BIS)
  • Lapchild tickets are non-mileage earning including lifetime miles
There was a complicated adjustment of lifetime miles at the time of the UA/CO merger due to the different programs & earning rules, including that CO granted lifetime miles for partner flights, PQM bonuses, and some credit card activity. But the above are the present rules.

Post-merge, COPA flights also accumulated UA lifetime miles, that ceased in July 2015 when COPA left MileagePlus.

What if I use miles to purchase the trip? Does that earn Lifetime Miles?
Depends
If you are using just UA miles and only paying cash for the taxes, as an award trip, it does not qualify for Lifetime miles
However
If you are using points from a credit card to purchase a ticket on their site, then the trip qualifies
If you are booking an economy ticket but using miles to upgrade, then the trip qualifies
If you are using the Money+Miles payment option, then the trip qualifies (regardless of the amount paid by miles)
If you are purchasing with a Chase creditcard and then using miles as a statement credit, then the trip qualifies
What about purchasing with "Money+Miles"?
100% Lifetime Miles earning
see What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?
Related Threads
MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits [2014 forward]
Million Miler companion benefit
Building a UA city pair BIS table[

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 3, 22, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Yeah, UA can always just copy its Dallas and Atlanta-based friends.
Exactly. United's MM program is the only one with value in North America, so I really hope they don't degrade it any further than they already have.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 3, 22, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Exactly. United's MM program is the only one with value in North America, so I really hope they don't degrade it any further than they already have.
Better than AC's 1MM?
Old Aug 4, 22, 1:24 am

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/2MM, But I'm a "Diamond Guest"
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
.... Unless you're close to a tier -- say, within 2 years of flying at your regular pace -- I would exert exactly zero energy on worrying about lifetime status. It happens or it doesn't, but if NH is significantly more comfortable / convenient / whatever, I don't think the lifetime status you'd get should make much of a difference....
It all kinda depends. I was pretty religious about BIS miles until I got to MM. I have now had 9 years as GS as a M. miler -- which means my wife (or son for some years) has had 9 years of GS. That's a pretty big value, and IMO worth forgoing a few NH flights for.
Old Aug 4, 22, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Better than AC's 1MM?
I'd say AC has a slight edge. Comparable is *G for life. The edge comes from MLL access. One does not get UA club access from UA at 1MM (or any level). UA MM flyers get club access as part of *G on an international itinerary, but on purely domestic itineraries they get n lounge access. But some of the people in charge of building the current AC program came from UA so this should come as no surprise.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 4, 22, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by porciuscato View Post
It all kinda depends. I was pretty religious about BIS miles until I got to MM. I have now had 9 years as GS as a M. miler -- which means my wife (or son for some years) has had 9 years of GS. That's a pretty big value, and IMO worth forgoing a few NH flights for.
Even with UA Polaris food and service now?

David
Old Aug 4, 22, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Better than AC's 1MM?
Yes, because of E+.

Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
One does not get UA club access from UA at 1MM (or any level). UA MM flyers get club access as part of *G on an international itinerary, but on purely domestic itineraries they get n lounge access.
These statements are contradictory. The first sentence should be stricken from the record.
Old Aug 4, 22, 5:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I'd say AC has a slight edge. Comparable is *G for life. The edge comes from MLL access. One does not get UA club access from UA at 1MM (or any level). UA MM flyers get club access as part of *G on an international itinerary, but on purely domestic itineraries they get n lounge access. But some of the people in charge of building the current AC program came from UA so this should come as no surprise.
But no companion benefit at 1MM and at 2MM it is a lower level.
Earning still needs to be on program metal, so focus as with UA, the focus for AC program is AC metal -- more limiting than UA , AC has class of service bonus included.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Yes, because of E+....
definitively a plus for UA

So companion benefit and E+ vs domestic lounge access and class of service bonus

Note the AC ML is a benefit even for their Silver level
Xyzzy, lsquare and 8MiHi like this.
Old Aug 4, 22, 7:27 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/2MM, But I'm a "Diamond Guest"
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Even with UA Polaris food and service now?

David
Yeah, when your location compels you to fly United at least some of the time, GS has significant value. I would guess that just the hotel rooms for WX and other delays that my wife got average $500-$600 a year. And it helps out with forcing upgrades for the kids (i.e. I do one segment and she does one).
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Aug 4, 22, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Better than AC's 1MM?
I don' think it is an apple to apple comparsion. Pending on where you live may also have mpact and how one perceives benefits may imppact how one view which progam is better.

As an exaample on lounge access benefit:

If I live in Canada, I would have access to MLL all the time flying domestic flights on AC simply being a *G as a UA 1MM, but a US based 1MM would not benefit. Also, UA's lounge capacities and infrastructures just cannot substantiate giving access to *G members under the United M+ program.or its fomestic first class passengers.
Xyzzy and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
I don' think it is an apple to apple comparsion. Pending on where you live may also have mpact and how one perceives benefits may imppact how one view which progam is better.

As an exaample on lounge access benefit:

If I live in Canada, I would have access to MLL all the time flying domestic flights on AC simply being a *G as a UA 1MM, but a US based 1MM would not benefit. Also, UA's lounge capacities and infrastructures just cannot substantiate giving access to *G members under the United M+ program.or its fomestic first class passengers.
It's not the end of the world as I can get a UC membership through a credit card.
Old Aug 5, 22, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Comparable is *G for life.
Neither UA nor AC offer "*G for life." They both offer "the tier which currently grants *G privileges" for life. None of the specific benefits are guaranteed -- UA won that court case.

*A could introduce Star Platinum tomorrow and move most of the benefits to that tier. UA could announce an "enhancement" next year where *G is reserved for Platinum and above status. UA could introduce DL-style waitlisting for E+ "upgrades" for Gold members. All UA has to do is to have something called "Gold," and they've fulfilled their requirements. (And, even if they were to drop it entirely, they'd probably just be out a few million in ETCs as part of a class action settlement).

I realize that this is FlyerTalk, but, in general, lifetime status is something best achieved organically because an airline is the best fit for you (best schedule, best price, whatever meets your needs).
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, ps9a and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Neither UA nor AC offer "*G for life." They both offer "the tier which currently grants *G privileges" for life. None of the specific benefits are guaranteed -- UA won that court case.

*A could introduce Star Platinum tomorrow and move most of the benefits to that tier. UA could announce an "enhancement" next year where *G is reserved for Platinum and above status. UA could introduce DL-style waitlisting for E+ "upgrades" for Gold members. All UA has to do is to have something called "Gold," and they've fulfilled their requirements. (And, even if they were to drop it entirely, they'd probably just be out a few million in ETCs as part of a class action settlement).

I realize that this is FlyerTalk, but, in general, lifetime status is something best achieved organically because an airline is the best fit for you (best schedule, best price, whatever meets your needs).
Thank you for that unpleasant reminder - I think we tend t forget sometimes that these things change. I certainly did!
jsloan and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for that unpleasant reminder - I think we tend t forget sometimes that these things change. I certainly did!
I find it funny that an emoji always appear within a word in your posts.
Xyzzy and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 550K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare (Post # 583) View Post
I find it funny that an emoji always appear within a word in your posts.
Xyzzy has been ding that fr almst tw decades (next mnth).

Yes, nothing prevents the Star Alliance (*A) from changing its benefits if it so decides. Certainly no lifetime guarantees.
jsloan, Xyzzy and 8MiHi like this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Aug 5, 22 at 9:09 pm
Old Sep 6, 22, 1:23 pm

Lifetime Miles Calculator

I booked a flight from BOS-EWR-SFO-PHX

BOS-EWR is one flight number.

EWR-SFO-PHX is one flight number.

Will I get Lifetime miles for EWR-SFO-PHX or will I get only EWR-PHX?

Search this Thread