Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Million Miler Program
Mileage accrual for Million Miler qualification is based on the flight distance of United- and United Express-operated flights.
With United's change to PQPs and PQFs, UA no longer provides information on flight / "BIS" mile
United no longer shows the BIS mileage. For now, the app is showing segment miles during booking -- but united.com is not.
Presently using UA's timetable to research the flight, the flight miles are provided

Alternatively, you can use third-party tools like, gcmap to get a number. It may differ from UA's number by a few miles
Building a UA city pair BIS table
And finally, you can trust UA to track your miles (There have been very, very few instances of issues and less recently)
  • For elites, there is 500 lifetime mile minimum for UA/UX flights. (still true in 2020 and PQP/PQF era)
  • There is no elite bonus or class of service bonus.
  • BIS miles = PQMs for 100% fares
  • Bus operated land connections booked as UA flight numbers earn lifetime miles
  • No partner flights earn UA lifetime miles.
  • Flight number / codeshare / ticket stock does not matter -- as long as it is a United-operated flight that is being credited to UA MP program.
  • No credit card activity earns UA lifetime miles
  • Only paid flights (including BULK / most consolidator tickets), no credit for award flights
  • There is no method for purchasing lifetime miles
  • Basic Economy segments are non-mileage earning and do not earn lifetime miles In the second iteration of BE (2018Q4), LT mileage earning appears to have been restored (100% 50% of BIS)
  • Lapchild tickets are non-mileage earning including lifetime miles
There was a complicated adjustment of lifetime miles at the time of the UA/CO merger due to the different programs & earning rules, including that CO granted lifetime miles for partner flights, PQM bonuses, and some credit card activity. But the above are the present rules.

Post-merge, COPA flights also accumulated UA lifetime miles, that ceased in July 2015 when COPA left MileagePlus.

What if I use miles to purchase the trip? Does that earn Lifetime Miles?
Depends
If you are using just UA miles and only paying cash for the taxes, as an award trip, it does not qualify for Lifetime miles
However
If you are using points from a credit card to purchase a ticket on their site, then the trip qualifies
If you are booking an economy ticket but using miles to upgrade, then the trip qualifies
If you are using the Money+Miles payment option, then the trip qualifies (regardless of the amount paid by miles)
If you are purchasing with a Chase creditcard and then using miles as a statement credit, then the trip qualifies
What about purchasing with "Money+Miles"?
100% Lifetime Miles earning
see What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?
Related Threads
MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits [2014 forward]
Million Miler companion benefit
Building a UA city pair BIS table

Archive: [url=https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2150272-how-lifetime-miles-calculated-mileageplus-archive.html]How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus? {Archive}
Related thread: Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary
Print Wikipost

How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2024, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by VWang1111 (Post # 330)
Shouldn't it be time that award tickets contribute to lifetime flight miles. This could ride on the wave of lifetime enhancements in the airline industry or just remain competitive as Delta is enhancing lifetime benefits and award tickets count for lifetime status there.
No, thank you!

If anything, this would debase lifetime status, making it much, much easier to earn. Being a Million Miler on UA is far better than on DL.

A logical conclusion to such a change would be reducing benefits!
Doppy, iluv2fly, wxguy and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
No, thank you!

If anything, this would debase lifetime status, making it much, much easier to earn. Being a Million Miler on UA is far better than on DL.

UA LT status has the benefit of gifting status to someone else, but otherwise I don’t see a huge difference anymore. Sure, DL Gold is not what it used to be, but the same can perhaps be said for UA Gold as well.
Compared to ‘all partner flights counting’ like 10 years ago, this is definitely more restrictive these days. Don’t think it would make a major difference if UA would allow award flights on UA metal to count
Old Apr 20, 2024, 9:40 am

Programs: None - previously UA

I believe Delta is pretty close to the bottom of the barrel as far as inflating award prices. So UA would only do this going forward (not retro-actively) to shore up declining interest in ever inflating award prices. So it wouldn’t be a positive signal, more an indication that half million mile one way award flights are going to be the new “saver” level.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
UA LT status has the benefit of gifting status to someone else, but otherwise I don’t see a huge difference anymore. Sure, DL Gold is not what it used to be, but the same can perhaps be said for UA Gold as well
A second lifetime status is a pretty big benefit, since otherwise that would require flying one or more million miles for the other person.

Also Delta gives 360 status at five million versus "only" four million for GS
Old Apr 20, 2024, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If anything, this would debase lifetime status, making it much, much easier to earn.
Much, much easier to earn? You'd still have to fly the million miles on UA metal. It just changes the way some of them are paid for.

And, per the OP's point, tickets paid for by a credit card company using their rewards currency earn lifetime miles already. This would even the playing field a little bit more.
Xyzzy and VWang1111 like this.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I have never had AmEx Membership Rewards (MR) or Chase Ultimate Rewards (UR) or similar.

So such a change would actually benefit me (except I have spent most of my miles on my wife and our adult son).

I still think such a change could presage a reduction of benefits and a DL-like devaluation of mileage award redemptions.

But whatever UA wants to do, I will make the best of it, such as by having each of our family members sign up for more UA cards with a sign-up bonus (SUB).

The reason I haven't done more SUB hunting is that miles are a depreciating asset, we had as many miles as we could use, and award tickets didn't count for lifetime status.

If the latter changes, this opens up a world of possibilities for mileage runs!

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Apr 20, 2024 at 6:39 pm
Old Apr 20, 2024, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The reason I haven't done more SUB hunting is that miles are a depreciating asset, we had as many miles as we could use, and award tickets didn't count for lifetime status.

If the latter changes, this opens up a world of possibilities for mileage runs!
It... really doesn't, though. At least, not any more than the mileage run forum does. Even if you're willing to go jump through all of UA's availability hoops and fly in economy, you can maybe get 20K lifetime miles for 60K award miles, if you find a good deal on XXX-SFO-SIN and vv. Depending upon you how value your miles, that's not really that much better of a deal than a 2-2.5 cpm mileage run would be. People who want to run for million miler status already have the means to do so.

Most flyers will never come anywhere close to 1MM miles on a single carrier -- and, in fact, my general advice for most travelers is to ignore the lifetime programs entirely for exactly that reason. I know that you value UA 1MM greatly, and more power to you for it. But most travelers don't -- and shouldn't -- feel the same way. Adjusting the program at the margins isn't going to lead to any major changes; or, put another way, if UA intends to change the program, they won't need a minor earnings adjustment to give them cover for doing it.
SPN Lifer and 8MiHi like this.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post # 337)
​​​​People who want to run for million miler status already have the means to do so.

Most flyers will never come anywhere close to 1MM miles on a single carrier -- and, in fact, my general advice for most travelers is to ignore the lifetime programs entirely for exactly that reason. I know that you value UA 1MM greatly, and more power to you for it. But most travelers don't -- and shouldn't -- feel the same way.
I have limited means, but could do several mileage runs with SUB redeemable miles (RDM).

Given where I live and where I usually travel, I am basically a geographic captive of UA. Lifetime, I have about 580K miles with UA, 270K with DL, and 75K with AA. My lifetime United Club membership makes UA travel a bit easier, and as I have mentioned, I was a UA res agent from 1985-87.
jsloan, 8MiHi, Repooc17 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 6:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Given where I live and where I usually travel, I am basically a geographic captive of UA. Lifetime, I have about 580K miles with UA, 270K with DL
I am at those exact same levels despite holding some type of elite status with CO, DL and UA for 20 years. A mega merger is my only path to lifetime anytime soon, so it would be nice if award/partner flights counted. Or how about lifetime Silver for .5MM?
Old Today, 5:40 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Where can I find the BIS tally

Now that I’m 2.7 million miles, I’m paying more attention to the BIS total.
Where, on the United site, can I see the total miles flown on each ticket?
I see the miles earned, thePQPs and PQF s.
The only total is up at the top…..I’d like a little more detail on each trip
Old Today, 6:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mmack
Where, on the United site, can I see the total miles flown on each ticket?
Not longer provided.
However, using a great circle tool like Great Circle Mapper gives a number that is very close (generally +-1 or 2 miles) and occasionally sync up with UA's total is what many of use do.
ContinentalFan and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Today, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Most flyers will never come anywhere close to 1MM miles on a single carrier
I'm at 1.4 MM on United, 3.6 MM on AA and over 500k on AS... But I'm an abnormal flier and agree with your sentiment. Oh, and I made LTD with Hilton back in January. True signs that I travel too much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.