Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?

Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Million Miler Program
Mileage accrual for Million Miler qualification is based on the flight distance of United- and United Express-operated flights.
With United's change to PQPs and PQFs, UA no longer provides information on flight / "BIS" mile
United no longer shows the BIS mileage. For now, the app is showing segment miles during booking -- but united.com is not.
Presently using UA's timetable to research the flight, the flight miles are provided

Alternatively, you can use third-party tools like, gcmap to get a number. It may differ from UA's number by a few miles
Building a UA city pair BIS table
And finally, you can trust UA to track your miles (There have been very, very few instances of issues and less recently)
  • For elites, there is 500 lifetime mile minimum for UA/UX flights. (still true in 2020 and PQP/PQF era)
  • There is no elite bonus or class of service bonus.
  • BIS miles = PQMs for 100% fares
  • Bus operated land connections booked as UA flight numbers earn lifetime miles
  • No partner flights earn UA lifetime miles.
  • Flight number / codeshare / ticket stock does not matter -- as long as it is a United-operated flight that is being credited to UA MP program.
  • No credit card activity earns UA lifetime miles
  • Only paid flights (including BULK / most consolidator tickets), no credit for award flights
  • There is no method for purchasing lifetime miles
  • Basic Economy segments are non-mileage earning and do not earn lifetime miles In the second iteration of BE (2018Q4), LT mileage earning appears to have been restored (100% 50% of BIS)
  • Lapchild tickets are non-mileage earning including lifetime miles
There was a complicated adjustment of lifetime miles at the time of the UA/CO merger due to the different programs & earning rules, including that CO granted lifetime miles for partner flights, PQM bonuses, and some credit card activity. But the above are the present rules.

Post-merge, COPA flights also accumulated UA lifetime miles, that ceased in July 2015 when COPA left MileagePlus.

What if I use miles to purchase the trip? Does that earn Lifetime Miles?
Depends
If you are using just UA miles and only paying cash for the taxes, as an award trip, it does not qualify for Lifetime miles
However
If you are using points from a credit card to purchase a ticket on their site, then the trip qualifies
If you are booking an economy ticket but using miles to upgrade, then the trip qualifies
If you are using the Money+Miles payment option, then the trip qualifies (regardless of the amount paid by miles)
If you are purchasing with a Chase creditcard and then using miles as a statement credit, then the trip qualifies
What about purchasing with "Money+Miles"?
100% Lifetime Miles earning
see What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?
Related Threads
MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits [2014 forward]
Million Miler companion benefit
Building a UA city pair BIS table

Archive: [url=https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2150272-how-lifetime-miles-calculated-mileageplus-archive.html]How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus? {Archive}
Related thread: Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary
Print Wikipost

How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?

Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by sapguy
Made no sense...
As long as only one flight is operating at a time, there are no issues having same flight number by the same airline with different aircraft, different origin and destination. UA has a lot of tag flights like these.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA1K
This past Wednesday 3/20/2024, I was on UA 1743 PHL-IAH-LAX.
PHL-IAH was on a A320 and the flight number was UA 1743 arriving IAH at gate C30.
IAH-LAX was on a B757 leaving IAH at gate C37 and the flight number was ALSO UA 1743.

Made no sense, but I made it to LAX without any issue, even though it left IAH about 30 minutes late due to a minor problem with a tire.

I was credited for the 2 separate flights as should be.
thats interesting. on your receipt did it show up as two separate legs? for example my receipt just showed LGA to LAX with no mention of ORD which is what prompted me to ask the question about same direct but not nonstop flights
Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
thats interesting. on your receipt did it show up as two separate legs? for example my receipt just showed LGA to LAX with no mention of ORD which is what prompted me to ask the question about same direct but not nonstop flights
2 separate legs
Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was credited for the 2 separate flights as should be.
Thats not as should be; thats either an error in your favor or a welcome new development unless your stay in IAH was more than four hours, which wasnt indicated in your original message.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Thats not as should be; thats either an error in your favor or a welcome new development unless your stay in IAH was more than four hours, which wasnt indicated in your original message.
My stay at IAH was 45 minutes, as I missed the 1K boarding.

Frankly, I don't really care that much about this "how lifetime miles are calculated"

My 2 flights are credited as 2 flights as it should be, and I get whatever lifetime miles United is crediting me. I ain't losing any sleep over this. I will get to my 3 million miles sometime soon to make Lifetime 1K and then I will be done. Simple as that!

Last edited by sapguy; Mar 24, 2024 at 3:07 pm Reason: adding screenshot
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Frankly, I don't really care that much about this "how lifetime miles are calculated"
With all due respect, thats the thread topic.

My 2 flights are credited as 2 flights as it should be, and I get whatever lifetime miles United is crediting me.
In other words, for the thread topic, theres no relevant information in your message. Its heartening to see that UA seems to be keeping their word again about PQFs perhaps which wasnt true for a while. But if you dont know if you were credited for PHL-LAX or PHL-IAH + IAH-LAX, then theres no lesson here, as far as this thread goes.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, UA_Flyer and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:16 pm

500 mile minimum toward lifetime status still in place?

For elites, is there is 500 mile minimum for UA/UX flights for achieving lifetime MM status?
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by rsherwoo
For elites, is there is 500 mile minimum for UA/UX flights for achieving lifetime MM status?
yes, only for elites
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.