Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unhappy With New Elite status Benefits for Premier/Silver Members (E+ Access)

Old Feb 25, 12, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Just reviewed the new Premier rewards levels and really disappointed. Economy Plus access for silver is at check in. If I had know this was coming would have switched carriers when merger was announced. 28K miles last year and over 30K the year before and can't get an economy plus seat at the time of booking? Doesn't feel like I'm a valued customer. Rapid Rewards here I come.
Old Feb 25, 12, 12:12 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Other Silver/Premier members have also been vocal in their displeasure with the new benefits since they were announced; please see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-shaft-mp.html
Old Feb 25, 12, 12:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
They would be more than willing to sell you the annual Economy Plus subscription so you could get the seat when you reserve (until March)

And sell you the year of baggage waivers so you can bring more than one bag. Also ends in March.
Old Feb 25, 12, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by devinrob60 View Post
Just reviewed the new Premier rewards levels and really disappointed. Economy Plus access for silver is at check in. If I had know this was coming would have switched carriers when merger was announced. 28K miles last year and over 30K the year before and can't get an economy plus seat at the time of booking? Doesn't feel like I'm a valued customer. Rapid Rewards here I come.
Sounds like you're the poster child for the RR DEQM promo.
Old Feb 25, 12, 12:47 pm

I understand your frustration but 28-30K isn't a lot... I have 35K this year alone and it's not even march.
Old Feb 25, 12, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to Flyertalk.

These "enhancements we will like" were announced back in September. But if you don't actively follow the merger information, which you apparently don't, it would be easy to miss the changes. Lots of threads on the different "enhancements" to all the program levels.
Old Feb 25, 12, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
I understand it is a change -- and an unwelcome one to Silver members. They have a total right to be disappointed.

The flip side of all these discussions is that this is an improvement for 1K, Platinum, and Gold members like myself. I think 25,000 miles is a pretty low number for benefits, so this will hopefully mean continued availability to E+ seating up to the day of flight.
Old Feb 25, 12, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by johnmont View Post
I understand it is a change -- and an unwelcome one to Silver members. They have a total right to be disappointed.

The flip side of all these discussions is that this is an improvement for 1K, Platinum, and Gold members like myself. I think 25,000 miles is a pretty low number for benefits, so this will hopefully mean continued availability to E+ seating up to the day of flight.
I'm wondering as a 1k what the improvements are? Other than losing 4CR1's/year, I'm not sure I notice an improvement...?
Old Feb 25, 12, 1:58 pm

Programs: *Gold / HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy View Post
I understand your frustration but 28-30K isn't a lot... I have 35K this year alone and it's not even march.
What does yr 35k flown this year have anything to do with the OPs posting?
Old Feb 25, 12, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by travel.flier View Post
I'm wondering as a 1k what the improvements are?
The previous poster was referring to the fact that Silver's not being able to reserve E+ until check-in is a benefit for 1K (and Gold/Platinum) as it increases the chances of getting a good E+ seat (or even an E+ at all) - especially on close-in bookings.

As much as those that are Silver might dislike this change, it's a good thing for the rest of us.
Old Feb 25, 12, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
I believe that the airlines are yet again making huge mistakes. They are always looking at current conditions and making short term mistakes; look at US and the $1 coke fiasco. Sure planes are full now with consolidation and reduced capacity. But we are clearly headed in to an increased fuel cost environment; higher ticket prices. This could mean a 10% to 20% fare increase. The business has always been cyclical, your best customer carry you through the lean times.
For leisure travelers and Kayakers travel is truly optional. As soon as prices rise they stay home, not move to another airline. Your elites even at 25k to 50k often have to travel for business even with price increases. So, do you lock in your good customer or roll the dice and look at just the next quarter? I expect early next year as prices rise; lots of promotions to keep your elites even at a low level. It would have been much cheaper just to treat people well in the first place.
I going to have a big laugh when yet again an arrogant management team and a bunch of newly minted MBA’s screws up a business.
Old Feb 25, 12, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
The previous poster was referring to the fact that Silver's not being able to reserve E+ until check-in is a benefit for 1K (and Gold/Platinum) as it increases the chances of getting a good E+ seat (or even an E+ at all) - especially on close-in bookings.

As much as those that are Silver might dislike this change, it's a good thing for the rest of us.
That's exactly right -- I should have been clearer. I've had some issues close in, especially on E+ CRJ flights.

But overall...I don't see an incredible improvement over the past for 1Ks, that's correct. And also, unlike many others here, I don't see any negative changes that have directly impacted me at this point. Kinda status quo, honestly
Old Feb 25, 12, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like legacy airlines reward dead beats that occupy a seat all the time but spend nothing, while booting people that actually spend money but hardly travel. Strange strategy.
Old Feb 25, 12, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
CO makes it sound like ita s privilige to get seat 21 on a 737 without having to pay

Being a gold/silver for most of 15 yrs, I didnt mind the paltry # of upgrades, but now I can't even book a 737 seat < than row 21 without having to bend over and spread them. I'm a nobody on AA and just booked row 10 for free. The Continental Al Caponeibaturs are really outdoing themelves now on a daily basis
Old Feb 25, 12, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by buaya00 View Post
What does yr 35k flown this year have anything to do with the OPs posting?
He made it sound all about miles. It's not. I was agreeing with him. I wrote the post in haste. I should have worded it differently.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: