Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unhappy With New Elite status Benefits for Premier/Silver Members (E+ Access)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unhappy With New Elite status Benefits for Premier/Silver Members (E+ Access)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: Formerly UA, now whoever has the best routing or C/F price
Originally Posted by rizwank
Man, I want bias! =) thanks

I'm disappointed about the reduced RDM rewards for PGs (which I'll be in late April.) But for all the folks shouting "I'm going to leave..." I haven't seen a convincing place to go. (save for the fare runs I mentioned before.)
How about...the car?! Or Priceline negotiator? Now I know a lot of people on here are business flyers and do more int'l travel than domestic, but I have always been a self-funded leisure traveler who does maybe 1 int'l trip a year. I have bounced between 1P and 2P for the past five years...as of March 3, I'm back in the 2P camp. But even 2P was good enough for me to pay up to $50 more or fly into a slightly less convenient airport than suffering through a WN trip.

Not anymore. If it's a destination within 800 miles I'd just as soon drive...I mean, even flying domestically takes the better part of a day anyway - and my wife I can have a lot more fun cruising the convertible than stuck next to some crying kid in a metal tube. If it's further than that, I'll just go name my own price on Priceline, because if UA is going to stick me in E- anyway, I may as well get the lowest price I can. Another poster mentioned that it is just an impersonal business decision...well same for me. No loyalty to me? Fine by me, just don't expect it to be a one-way road. Even if Priceline were to stick me on a UA flight, I'd at least be paying less $$, which is all that really matters when FF privileges are stripped.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA
I can see both sides of the argument with respect to the E+ day of departure seating for Silvers, as the devaluation for Silvers certainly is to the benefit of Golds, Plats and 1Ks.

What UA should do is dynamically make rows of E+ seating available to silvers in advance through inventory management, starting from the back row (not exit) of the section and moving forward. On flights that are lightly booked with elites and that have light historical bookings, many or all of the rows could be made available for advance booking by silvers, and on heavier elite routes or as the section fills, fewer or none of the rows could be made available.

Availability would show up on the seat map as it does now -- blue for available seats, grey for occupied or unavailable seats.

They certainly have the technology to manage inventory like this since they do it already for fare classes and FC buyups. This would preserve the benefit for silvers and at the same time make sure there is better availability for higher elites who buy last minute tickets.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
This topic is a good one but is starting to get beaten to death. Other than upper-tier elites who don't like to share airport oxygen with the rest of us, nobody is thrilled about the so-called enhancements to MP. Limiting E+ access for Silvers to check-in sucks, but I am more sore about the fact that Visa Signature Explorer Card holders now essentially have access to the same benefits as 2P and don't have to fly a mile on United.

As far as I can tell, once 2P upgrades start clearing at check-in rather than 48 hours, we will have about the same upgrade chance as we do now (impossible on elite-heavy routes and a320 flights, about 30% for me on 757 routes with few elites).

I, for one, would welcome a revenue-based loyalty program at this point, since all my EQMs (other than the meager 2P bonus) are BIS, and I would be willing to bet that I am responsible for more revenue than many Golds.

Anyway, I'm firmly in the camp that believes United is missing out by screwing Silvers, since as a group, they most certainly represent a significant chunk of the airline's revenue. However, what do I know? I'm an armchair enthusiast but by no means an expert.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rizwank
*A seems like the strongest alliance, and that's a strong motivator to stay.
That's pretty much the only motivation at this point. And that is only motivation to fly Star not necessarily UA.

Domestic not too many options, but Int'l plenty of options.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
While I understand the fustration and sense
Originally Posted by zcat18
... Other than upper-tier elites who don't like to share airport oxygen with the rest of us, nobody is thrilled about the so-called enhancements to MP. ...
At most levels there are issues -- just take a look at the emotions/dissatisfaction in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-2012-a.html

... Limiting E+ access for Silvers to check-in sucks, but I am more sore about the fact that Visa Signature Explorer Card holders now essentially have access to the same benefits as 2P and don't have to fly a mile on United. ...
partially -- boarding and bag fee waiver yes -- but no day of travel E+ access or CPU (except on awards) / not any RDM bonus / some discount on fees / .... but is it worth focusing on UA for those differences is a good question.

... I, for one, would welcome a revenue-based loyalty program at this point, since all my EQMs (other than the meager 2P bonus) are BIS, and I would be willing to bet that I am responsible for more revenue than many Golds. ...
if you are a high revenue traveller, you should be getting EQM bonus -- but other than that there is no elite EQM bonus (just RDMs)
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by EWR764
Aside from slightly faster deplaning, how is this seat any different from those >21 on UA/CO?

When you are buying your food, you might be able to get what you want? On Continental, I have seen them run out of the more desireable selections before they hit the exit row. If I drop below Gold on CO/UA, being forced to always reserve seats behind the exit row is a deal breaker for me.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
if you are a high revenue traveller, you should be getting EQM bonus -- but other than that there is no elite EQM bonus (just RDMs)
Correct--my bad. All of my EQM are BIS. I'm definitely not what United considers a high-revenue customer.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Flyer737
When you are buying your food, you might be able to get what you want? On Continental, I have seen them run out of the more desireable selections before they hit the exit row. If I drop below Gold on CO/UA, being forced to always reserve seats behind the exit row is a deal breaker for me.
They run out quickly in BF as well
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:29 pm

Furious beyond belief - Silver loss of advance E+ seating

Yes, I know I'm late to the game here, but haven't travelled since the holidays and hadn't really paid attention to the MP changes.

Just tried to book a simple r/t flt for myself(Silver) and my husband (not elite) ORD-ATL, and realized I couldn't book E+ seats without having to pay the premium. And I couldn't select anything else because no other seats are available for selection.

My husband had a stroke and we need the extra space plus I need to be next to him. And even though it's clear from the seat map that there are lots of E+ seats available, I have no assurance of where we'll be seated, and don't even know if we'll be together unless I cough up more $$.

I am furious beyond all belief after 25 years of flying almost exclusively with United. I just called United, sounded like I got India, and they said there was nothing they could do - it's "policy".
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
What did you expect UA to say?

It seems as if this is so critical to your husband's safety, that you should pay for E+. Or wait till OLCI to choose them.

I don't really understand hence the point of your thread, since there are numerous others discussing this.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:37 pm

I am sorry for your husband. According to the new E+ policy, you will be able to select E+ seats for you and and husband within 24 hours before departure, if seats are available then. You might want to do online check in and select the E+ seats available as soon as you reach the 24 hour mark.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
What did you expect UA to say?

It seems as if this is so critical to your husband's safety, that you should pay for E+. Or wait till OLCI to choose them.

I don't really understand hence the point of your thread, since there are numerous others discussing this.
As mentioned, while numerous others may be discussing this, it was new to me. I am not a FT regular. And besides the loss of E+ advance seating, I can't even choose any of the other seats either.

I always do OLCI but waiting until then to select seats seems like a cr*pshoot. So, yes, I agree, it seems like I have no choice but to pay this premium, for a perk I've been getting forever and one of the reasons I've stuck with United so long. And filled out their surveys and defended them to others, etc etc. Thus the frustration.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You on'y get one bag for free now too.

There's not much you can do, it's a frustration all the silvers are now feeling.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:06 pm

Sorry to hear about your husband, and all silvers are feeling the same anger.

However, of it is crucial to make sure you're next to him, best to pay up for E+ to guarantee it.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by debbyv
As mentioned, while numerous others may be discussing this, it was new to me. I am not a FT regular. And besides the loss of E+ advance seating, I can't even choose any of the other seats either.

I always do OLCI but waiting until then to select seats seems like a cr*pshoot. So, yes, I agree, it seems like I have no choice but to pay this premium, for a perk I've been getting forever and one of the reasons I've stuck with United so long. And filled out their surveys and defended them to others, etc etc. Thus the frustration.
Has nothing to do with FT, UA published this via email and on its Website months ago. This was done in response to many complaints by people booking at the last minute in full Y/B, willing to pay for E+, but there was none left.

With an improved economy, it comes down to something for which people are willing to pay. You are being treated the same. You won't find it different elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.