Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unhappy With New Elite status Benefits for Premier/Silver Members (E+ Access)

Unhappy With New Elite status Benefits for Premier/Silver Members (E+ Access)

Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LAX
Do you fly Asian carriers? Some of their standard pitch is 34". Why take a chance when you can get the sure thing?? Plus, some offer bulkhead/exit row to anyone on DOD (akin to rolling the dice on UA), but with better soft product.

LAX
Moot point. Asian carriers aren't flying intra-USA flights. Also, which? The ones that I could find (via seat guru) were showing 31 to 32 inches on average for seat pitch. Some were as low as 29 inches, and a few were 33.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum,
Bye bye United

I've been a United Silver for several years - usually coming quite close to Gold but never quite making it, and I hate the TSA enought that mileage runs are off the table for me.

The main draw for me was the access to the E+ seating. I would always fly United, even if other airlines offered the same itinerary for less money, because that access - and the status that Silvers received (such as it was) -was worth it to me.

No mas. It's Kayak.com for me, lowest price takes it. Thanks for nothing, United.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by Often1
+1 - How's your UG% on WN?
Pretty much the same as my UG% as a silver/2P/premier on UA...
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA1K, Krisflyer, SkyMiles something, BA blue, SPG
Making the Big Time

Let me hasten to remind that ALL of us big-time 1K's started somewhere. Many of us didn't wake up one morning and start flying 100K+ miles/ year. Some of us "played the field" and ultimately zeroed in on the airline that treated us best even as a lowly silver. Others flew more as our careers gained traction and responsibilities etc increased. Still others of us traveled more as our businesses grew and now that we have the money to accommodate our "needs" are looking at the overall product and really wondering where this is all going. Some of us also have to send employees off into the wild blue 25-50K miles/yr and frankly, we want them treated right and the airline that treats them right will become their airline of choice as their career grows and they become managers of people that they send off and the cycle continues.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Moot point. Asian carriers aren't flying intra-USA flights. Also, which? The ones that I could find (via seat guru) were showing 31 to 32 inches on average for seat pitch. Some were as low as 29 inches, and a few were 33.
Actually if you chase this particular argument upthread you'll find that it's actually talking about whether silvers would like to roll the dice for E+ on TPACs, which Asian carriers do, indeed, fly.

Oh, and I think Thai and Asiana have 34" as standard afaik.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:23 pm

2P dilution

I recall a decade where I would ALWAYS strive to fly UA for work or business, and pay (within reason) a fare premium and tolerate schedule inconvenience because 1P and 2P were worth the energy and effort to obtain.

Since September, my family has spent about 5k on other carriers, and I have the next 5k of plans being drafted through summer, none of which is on UACO metal.

From my perspective, 2P devaluation will then translate into at least $10k of revenue to other carriers by late 2012. I know this isn't a nickel to UACO, but if other 2Ps feel the same way...

I seem to obtain better service on USAir (gasp) as a 2P than I can on UACO. I may not have E+ on USAir like UACO, but at least I can secure a descent seat towards the front of the coach cabin, which is far better than an E- experience next to the rear lavatory.

As a prior poster has stated, 2P is now a 'nothingburger'. I could be at 24.8k year end EQMs and wouldn't bother with a UACO flight if it adds more than 1-2 hours inconvenience.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:31 pm

Location: New Orleans on a sabattical. My roots are in Los Angeles.
Programs: Chase Palladium, AMEX Plat, UA Plat, AA EXP, HH/SPG G, PC plat
I'd love reasons to stay on UA/CO --- can you help me?

Frequent flier, but accidentally got UA Premier Silver last year, and experienced the joys of having status.

Follow that with being gifted two SWUs for a multi leg Asia trip; and I've tasted the crack of sitting up front.

With all the great DL/AA runs I've been seeing in the MR forum (as well as just good vacation runs), I've been wondering a bit if it's worth staying with UA/CO. I live in MSY for now, but moving to HKG in a bit, then back to LAX. I haven't been around enough to have strong opinions on the UA/CO merger, save to say that I don't like having to book W class to use SWUs, and heavy cash copays on status upgrades with miles suck.

I've got 300k+ AMEX points, 125k+ UR points; --- my AMEX points end up being used on AC, and maybe DL.

I've just seen so many fares that make me wish I were a lackey of DL or AA rather than UA. I'm going to hit 1K on UA this year (probably), but before I step out too far on that ledge (already 25% done), I thought it might be worth reconsidering my options.

*A seems like the strongest alliance, and that's a strong motivator to stay.

Not being able to use my AMEX points on UA isn't great, but since my status won't result in UDUs anyhow; I don't see much point in using points there.

UA's IFE sucks. In the days of an iPad, it matters less, but it's galling to see how stone-age 5 hour flights are. Same with Wifi, although Jeff says that'll be fixed soon.

I haven't flown DL recently enough to have an opinion on them. I've never minded AA, although bankruptcy and their smaller global coverage does make them seem

DL's always seemed like a non starter because of the sky peso mentality; what's the point in accruing RDMs if you can't use them?

===

So… are the recent fares on the other airlines just 'the way it goes' - and UA/CO is likely to have their own crazy sales at other times? Or have DL/AA always been better at MR/VRs?

Why are you on UA/CO? Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I'll add my somewhat biased comments before this turns into yet another one of those threads.

I live 30 minutes from EWR. I have found consistently over the last five years that noone overall has better pricing for my travel needs than CO. I'm finding with the merger that even the p.s. flights out of JFK are doable, and I'm very happy with the recent fare/fire sales out of LGA on both UA and US.

I'll clear 1K with two MRs more this year, having been Gold the last two and Plat (thanks dEQM and B fare mixups) the year before.

Noone has a better alliance to get to where I want to go using Savers. Just booked my honeymoon JFK-VIE, FRA-EWR, all in Saver. In late summer.

I have flown VX and jetblue in a pinch when the hub was just too much, but that was only during two spring break times.

So in the end, convenience and great pricing/awards. I'm not happy as a PG about 50% bonuses. But not enough to leave.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Why not US? Earn/burn on *A, don't have to deal with the COdbaUA BS. Though flying their metal to/from HKG will prove difficult...
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:44 pm

Location: New Orleans on a sabattical. My roots are in Los Angeles.
Programs: Chase Palladium, AMEX Plat, UA Plat, AA EXP, HH/SPG G, PC plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
I'll add my somewhat biased comments before this turns into yet another one of those threads.

So in the end, convenience and great pricing/awards. I'm not happy as a PG about 50% bonuses. But not enough to leave.
Man, I want bias! =) thanks

I'm disappointed about the reduced RDM rewards for PGs (which I'll be in late April.) But for all the folks shouting "I'm going to leave..." I haven't seen a convincing place to go. (save for the fare runs I mentioned before.)
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rizwank
Man, I want bias! =) thanks

I'm disappointed about the reduced RDM rewards for PGs (which I'll be in late April.) But for all the folks shouting "I'm going to leave..." I haven't seen a convincing place to go. (save for the fare runs I mentioned before.)
Most aren't leaving...yet. Many are hub-captive - others are company captive. A decent amount are....and that's fine.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by radaron
Let me hasten to remind that ALL of us big-time 1K's started somewhere. Many of us didn't wake up one morning and start flying 100K+ miles/ year. Some of us "played the field" and ultimately zeroed in on the airline that treated us best even as a lowly silver. Others flew more as our careers gained traction and responsibilities etc increased. Still others of us traveled more as our businesses grew and now that we have the money to accommodate our "needs" are looking at the overall product and really wondering where this is all going. Some of us also have to send employees off into the wild blue 25-50K miles/yr and frankly, we want them treated right and the airline that treats them right will become their airline of choice as their career grows and they become managers of people that they send off and the cycle continues.
I agree with this! I too was a 1K for several years, but I started as a nobody, now I'm a MM. Being based out of ORD, I could've chosen AA but chose UA. E+ always kept me around. I took baby steps, from Premier, to Exec to 1K. 6 Years as a 1K and several as Premier. This UA Flyer has left UA. Gold will be next to lose this benefit. No one believes me but it will happen. I have chosen to give most of my business to AA now. 10 years later! AA and WN are my preffered Airlines.

Everyone lost something! Premiers lost a bag and E+, Execs lost the 100 % bonus. What's next?

People, choose with your money and if you are going to walk then walk. I jumped ship to WN, (not for price) but for convenience. Almost hourly flights to all midwest cities from MDW. Also, my second destination, LAS. Southwest hourly, UA, 3 flights a day?? Southwest has given me the option. I suffered thru TED so WN is not that bad. They fly where I need to fly.

If you don't try, you wont know. To all Silvers and unhappy Golds, try another airline, see if you like it, use UA when UA is convenient! That's what I do. I was suprised with the efficient WN procedure. Who needs an upgrade? I get one free upgrade and row one 70% of the time..

Last edited by LASUA1K; Feb 27, 2012 at 2:11 pm
Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Good discussion & viewpoints

Can see where this is better for fliers with higher status (above silver) and also think that those members deserve the better treatment. But for me hoping to get plus seat at check-in doesn't cut it. Lucky that I am Chicago based and have options. I was good for 20-25 round trips per year, not alot compared to some of the respondents, but was a loyal UAL flyer until this change. Have to look elsewhere and find carrier that values my business travel schedule. Can understand that United did the statistical work and deemed silver members no longer worth the benefit. Hard for me to understand the math though. I can buy access for approximately $500 - but total spend they loose is at least 20 (RT flights) x $350 ( average fare I paid) = $7000.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:11 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Why not US? Earn/burn on *A, don't have to deal with the COdbaUA BS. Though flying their metal to/from HKG will prove difficult...
Agree as US has certainly improved quite a bit recently despite its past "reputation." US is by no means the savior for 2Ps/Silvers, but their low level elites appear to be better treated.

With regards to HKG (or Asia in general), there are a number of Asian carriers to fill the gap. The only downside of not flying "your FFP's metal" is missing out on upgrades, which are not going to happen for UA elites flying "their own metal" anyway.

LAX
Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by devinrob60
Can see where this is better for fliers with higher status (above silver) and also think that those members deserve the better treatment. But for me hoping to get plus seat at check-in doesn't cut it. Lucky that I am Chicago based and have options. I was good for 20-25 round trips per year, not alot compared to some of the respondents, but was a loyal UAL flyer until this change. Have to look elsewhere and find carrier that values my business travel schedule. Can understand that United did the statistical work and deemed silver members no longer worth the benefit. Hard for me to understand the math though. I can buy access for approximately $500 - but total spend they loose is at least 20 (RT flights) x $350 ( average fare I paid) = $7000.
Agreed!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.