Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dhuey
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO

Archived posts: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
OP mentioned flying in April and May. Have delays really been that significant? I thought they mostly handled the situation by proactively reducing their schedule.
It's been much better than the past - typical GDP delays don't get worse than 30m or so, although you still have adjustments for winter rains. They had to switch from 28 to 10 and back yesterday and it stacked up some more delays than normal.

Ironically SFO is more consistent with 28L out of commission because it is lower variance in terms of ops during bad wx.
jsloan and The Man in Seat 9A like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
While SFO is not home, I go through it a lot.

Maybe my bad luck, but every flight I have flown to SFO last month (around 10, mostly AS and UA) has been held in a holding pattern, a couple of go arounds, leading to some dicey onward transfers - I won't call it connections since some of them were mileage runs on separate tickets.

There was even one-time where I observed SFO using 28R for all takeoffs and landings.

With regards to OP's situation, 1.5 hrs generally sufficient, even with some delays. All things being equal, if there are holding patterns and go arounds, it would impact both OP's aircraft from Canada and the inbound aircraft of the connecting flight. That said, the connecting flight is a long haul, so the gap time between flights are usually longer, which could play a factor. Anyway, I still think generally no issues with 1.5 hrs assuming the flight from Canada is on time; even a slight delay should still afford OP more than enough time for the connection.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
OP mentioned flying in April and May. Have delays really been that significant?
Yes, absolutely, particularly when they can't use the 1s for takeoffs.

I'm in and out every week or two and have seem quite a few delays in the 30-90 minute range. UA seems to be more affected than some other airlines, I'm sure due to the relatively higher number of flights. 90 minutes from YYC to a once-a-day long-haul would give me pause.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
With regards to OP's situation, 1.5 hrs generally sufficient, even with some delays. All things being equal, if there are holding patterns and go arounds, it would impact both OP's aircraft from Canada and the inbound aircraft of the connecting flight.
It wouldn't, that's the problem. The inbound long-haul normally won't be delayed. The short-haul may be. That's how the air traffic management programs operate. There's also the problem of cascading delays if an aircraft is rotating in and out of SFO (don't know if this is the case with YYC, but it certainly is with many western US routes).
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.