Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dhuey
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am – 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO

Archived posts: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by She
Need suggestions on making a 85min International - Domestic connection. I have low confidence but United won't re-book me to a later flight without collecting a $348/person fare difference (although they will waive the change fee as a goodwill gesture - eyeroll).
Was there a schedule change? If so, you should be able to get the change without paying anything.

If there wasn't a schedule change, what changed between when you bought the tickets and now to reduce your confidence that you can make the connection? If it's something material (i.e. you injured your foot, can't walk as fast) then I'd definitely try HUCAing and seeing if you can find a sympathetic agent.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
This is a nice step, but UA still has a long way to go. When I was messed up by LOT, of all airlines, there was a smiling person waiting for me at the gate who then walked me through a quick route to my onward Schengen gate, skipping the normal immigration lines. And LOT wants just over $2.5K for business from ORD and UA wants $10K. Go figure. For that I'll spend a couple hours between flights in WAW.
onthesam likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:37 am

United Connection time SFO, trying to better plane option

Hello
I'll be flying from Taipei to Newark, through San Fran. There's a flight that has a 1.5 hour connection time that will put me on a new dreamliner 787 or i have the option to take a three hour lay over on an older 777-200. I'll be flying business, so i was hoping to land the polaris on the 787 for the last leg.

Is 1.5 hours enough time to transfer / worth the hassle for trying to get seated on the newer plane?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ional-sfo.html

IMho, take the 3 hour connection, plus give you the chance to do the Polaris lounge (provided the intl leg is in business as well).
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Are you a US citizen or foreigner? Do you have Global Entry and/or Precheck? Will you have checked luggage? What day of the week?

The TPE flight can have as many as about 4 other widebody flights land right before it, depending on the day. The CBP-reported wait times to get through immigration at that time of day average around 10 minutes for a US citizen, but can be as high as over an hour (and double those numbers for non-citizens).

90 minutes is definitely doable - especially with GE and no luggage. However a non-citizen with luggage and no precheck would miss that connection a non-trivial percentage of the time...
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
With GE and Pre, no problem. Otherwise, could be tight.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Is the TPE-SFO flight on UA and not EVA? If so, I'd say go for the 787-10. Worst case, you miss the flight and are stuck in the SFO Polaris lounge where they will help you get back to EWR. The 787-10 is a heck of a lot nicer then the HD 772s.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
U.S.-bound transpac flights often arrive way ahead of schedule. Can't comment about available gate space, but I would still stick with the 1.5H cxn for the 787 especially if it involves only hand luggage.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by docbert
Are you a US citizen or foreigner? Do you have Global Entry and/or Precheck? Will you have checked luggage? What day of the week?

The TPE flight can have as many as about 4 other widebody flights land right before it, depending on the day. The CBP-reported wait times to get through immigration at that time of day average around 10 minutes for a US citizen, but can be as high as over an hour (and double those numbers for non-citizens).

90 minutes is definitely doable - especially with GE and no luggage. However a non-citizen with luggage and no precheck would miss that connection a non-trivial percentage of the time...
Global Entry and Pre check. Business class. Checked luggage. US citizen.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by letsbeadventurers
Global Entry and Pre check. Business class. Checked luggage. US citizen.
Checked bag is potentially an issue. Expect to wait 30 minutes at SFO.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Checked bag is potentially an issue. Expect to wait 30 minutes at SFO.
Will I need to get my checked bags at SFO? Won't united route them on my next flight to EWR?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:26 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by letsbeadventurers
Will I need to get my checked bags at SFO? Won't united route them on my next flight to EWR?
As a general rule (there are some exceptions which won't apply coming from TPE) all checked baggage must be claimed upon entry to the US and then dropped off again for onward travel after clearing immigration and customs (there's a special baggage area/belt for this purpose).
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
As a general rule (there are some exceptions which won't apply coming from TPE) all checked baggage must be claimed upon entry to the US and then dropped off again for onward travel after clearing immigration and customs (there's a special baggage area/belt for this purpose).
Ah, thank you.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:44 pm

Flying SIN-SFO-STL on Monday (UAL2 flight), will be in business on the SIN-SFO leg, and have a 1 hr 55 minute layover. US Citizen with checked bag and GE. Should be doable, right? Never connected through SFO before.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by t325
Flying SIN-SFO-STL on Monday (UAL2 flight), will be in business on the SIN-SFO leg, and have a 1 hr 55 minute layover. US Citizen with checked bag and GE. Should be doable, right? Never connected through SFO before.
Cake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.