Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dhuey
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am – 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO

Archived posts: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Thanks! We are not expecting any upgrade or anything.

If we do have a connection like this - would I be able to call UA and have them re-route us before we fly?

*G with TK and UAMP S.

TIA!
Old May 7, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
If your LAX-SFO leaves early morning, you need 2-3hrs plus - if you're departing after 11AM, I would say 3-4hrs. Now if you're upgraded SFO FRA and don't want to risk that seat, I would say 5-6hrs minimum which is what I do from ONT when connecting to Asia in Polaris. I would rather relax in the lounge, or if I have a solid 6hrs, take Uber into the city for dim sum and back, than bite my nails at my departure point watching the SFO flight tick later and later....
LAX-SFO seems to get prioritized every day when there’s a predictable GDP and everything goes as planned. It seems only when morning clouds and winds are unpredictable that LAX gets affected. Meanwhile, UX flights get hosed “any day” there’s weather just because of capacity and demographics of statuses and connections.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nacho
Thanks! We are not expecting any upgrade or anything.

If we do have a connection like this - would I be able to call UA and have them re-route us before we fly?

*G with TK and UAMP S.

TIA!
Unfortunately they won't re-route without a missed connection in progress, but you can try to SDC to an earlier LAX departure when the time comes.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Tight international to domestic connection at SFO. What to do properly?

Here is the situation. I and my companion are arriving at SFO via the same international UA flight at 9:20PM and have onward domestic connection at 10:50PM. The domestic flight is obviously the last flight for the day. We are planning to have carry-on only.

I am US citizen and have Global Entry, however it is my companion's first travel to US while travelling on Indian passport with B2 visa.

My question is - assuming that flight is on time, what can/should be done to minimize time spent on transit?

Getting out from the plane - we are seated in Economy (myself in E, my companion in E- section), I can obviously ask the purser if it possible to let us leave the aircraft early, but don't know if he/she will accommodate us.

Time spent at immigration - what are options for foreign citizens to speed up the processing? Are there an automated kiosk/gate options at SFO for those who are coming on tourist visa or lining up at booth is the only option?

If we due to late arrival/delay miss the connecting flight, does United have an obligation to provide hotel for us?

Thanks

Last edited by invisible; May 10, 2019 at 11:56 am
Old May 10, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP - what I can say is don't rush the process. In theory, the connection is tight, but yet doable.

Rushing may ony make things worse.

Also - even assuming there is no delay in immigration and customs, baggage delivery will be still an issue (which usually takes 15-20 minutes).

Originally Posted by invisible
I am US citizen and have Global Entry, however it is my companion's first travel to US. My question is - assuming that flight is on time, what can/should be done to minimize time spent on transit?
Nothing.

Getting out from the plane - we are seated in Economy (myself in E, my companion in E- section), I can obviously ask the purser if it possible to let us leave the aircraft early, but don't know if he/she will accommodate us.
Your problem is not the purser, but the hundreds of passengers around you.

Time spent at immigration - what are options for foreign citizens to speed up the processing?
None.

Are there an automated kiosk/cate options for them like Global Entry for SFO or lining up at booth is the only option?
SFO does have APC. But I don't believe they are available in International Terminal G.

If we due to late arrival/delay miss the connecting flight, does United have an obligation to provide hotel for us?
Not if when you experience delay during the immigration and customs.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You and your companion are in different situations. You should get yourself to your connecting gate as quickly as possible. If she is delayed, there is little you can do to get UA to hold the flight, but you can do more at the departure gate than elsewhere. It is also unclear that if you are at the departure gate, that UA will offload and rebook you without fee.

If she is delayed in CBP and that causes a misconnect, UA will likely rebook her, but it will not likely provide a hotel or meals.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...I can obviously ask the purser if it possible to let us leave the aircraft early, but don't know if he/she will accommodate us...Thanks
Don't count on any time savings from your seat even if purser says "yes". The problem is not purser accommodation, it's the other passengers adhering to request. I bet 90% of passengers ignore it.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Late arriving flight, first trip to US, busy airport, expensive city/hotels, and regular economy seat.

This thread is giving me anxiety.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
You mention international.... what is the route (where are you arriving from)?
Old May 10, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Here is the situation. I and my companion are arriving at SFO via the same international UA flight at 9:20PM and have onward domestic connection at 10:50PM. The domestic flight is obviously the last flight for the day. We are planning to have carry-on only.

I am US citizen and have Global Entry, however it is my companion's first travel to US while travelling on Indian passport with B2 visa.

My question is - assuming that flight is on time, what can/should be done to minimize time spent on transit?

Time spent at immigration - what are options for foreign citizens to speed up the processing? Are there an automated kiosk/gate options at SFO for those who are coming on tourist visa or lining up at booth is the only option?

Thanks
It will be a breeze for you with GE but your friend COULD cause a problem. Your friend will have really no options other than the non US citizen lanes given what you stated. Having said that I have seen the lines for the non US citizens be far shorter than those for US citizens, in fact that is more often than not the case. FWIW, at that hour getting off the flight early can help if you can do it, I would request it and state tight connection. Not all but most people seem to understand that.

Last edited by nomad420; May 10, 2019 at 12:36 pm Reason: typo
Old May 10, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Biggest factors are on time inbound and customs. Time spent in the customs hall will be dependent on the number of international arrivals at that time. No idea what flight you're coming in on, but do a little bit of research and see what other international arrivals are coming in at that time. Some periods of the day are busier than others. Do some research on Flight Aware and see if your flight is historically on time or delayed. Past performance is no true indicator of future returns, but it could give you an idea of what to expect. Bag recheck is easy at SFO, as is getting thru security. Assume you're flying onward on UA? UA is in terminal 3 and is directly walkable right from the INTL terminal.

Bottom line: assuming your inbound is on time and customs flows freely, you'll all be fine. Probably won't have much time to relax in a lounge though.
Old May 11, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
You mention international.... what is the route (where are you arriving from)?
Full route SIN-SFO-RNO. Arrival on Friday evening.

Originally Posted by gmt4
Bottom line: assuming your inbound is on time and customs flows freely, you'll all be fine. Probably won't have much time to relax in a lounge though.
Hope so and lounge is not a concern considering I don’t have UA’s club membership and AFAIK Priority Pass lounges do not exist in SFO domestic terminals.

Originally Posted by nomad420
Having said that I have seen the lines for the non US citizens be far shorter than those for US citizens, in fact that is more often than not the case. FWIW, at that hour getting off the flight early can help if you can do it, I would request it and state tight connection. Not all but most people seem to understand that.
I did some searching and seems that there are several dozens of new automated kiosks which can be used by people who have B2 visa. That should speed up processing.

At the very worst, we well spend a (non-romantic) night inside terminal in case of missing the flight. BTW are you allowed to remain airside for a night?

Last edited by invisible; May 11, 2019 at 5:57 am
Old May 11, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At the very worst, we well spend a (non-romantic) night inside terminal in case of missing the flight. BTW are you allowed to remain airside for a night?
Yes; SFO is open 24 hours.

RNO is about a 4 hour drive from SFO, although you may well be too exhausted to drive safely.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:11 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Hope so and lounge is not a concern considering I don’t have UA’s club membership and AFAIK Priority Pass lounges do not exist in SFO domestic terminals.
Are you *G?

FWIW while there is no PP lounge in T3/G, there are two restaurants that offer the $28 credit, although even if you breeze through immigration etc it'd be a bit rushed at best.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes; SFO is open 24 hours.

RNO is about a 4 hour drive from SFO, although you may well be too exhausted to drive safely.
The drive from SFO to RNO goes through the Sierra Nevada Mountains. At night, it is a route that requires your full attention.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.