Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dhuey
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am – 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO

Archived posts: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
The drive from SFO to RNO goes through the Sierra Nevada Mountains. At night, it is a route that requires your full attention.
Agreed, and depending upon the time of the year, it may be a really bad idea. Personally, I wouldn't want to do a four-hour drive immediately upon arriving from Singapore. However, if OP were to miss the connecting flight, needed to get to RNO as early as possible, and was well-rested, it would be the fastest way to go, so I wanted to list it as an option even though I'm not really recommending it.
Old May 11, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes; SFO is open 24 hours.
RNO is about a 4 hour drive from SFO, although you may well be too exhausted to drive safely.
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
The drive from SFO to RNO goes through the Sierra Nevada Mountains. At night, it is a route that requires your full attention.
Whole point flying to RNO was that I don't need to drive there at midnight. I would be happy to do it during daytime, slowly driving thru Golden Gate and Tahoe, but starting this after 17h non-stop flight in E - no, this is a safety matter, in addition to everything else.

Originally Posted by jsloan
Agreed, and depending upon the time of the year, it may be a really bad idea. Personally, I wouldn't want to do a four-hour drive immediately upon arriving from Singapore. However, if OP were to miss the connecting flight, needed to get to RNO as early as possible, and was well-rested, it would be the fastest way to go, so I wanted to list it as an option even though I'm not really recommending it.
​​​​​​​Fortunately this is a trip to see family and as long as we arrive there on Saturday before 7PM, everything should be fine.

I would even prefer driving during daylight and my companion would love to experience it, but cheapest revenue tickets are $1600/per person and there are no award seats even in Y....

Originally Posted by Zorak
Are you *G?
Yes. Have been last 11 years, but will drop to generic this year and will experience in future all the 'pleanatness' of air travel in US
Originally Posted by Zorak
FWIW while there is no PP lounge in T3/G, there are two restaurants that offer the $28 credit, although even if you breeze through immigration etc it'd be a bit rushed at best.
Thank you very much for mentioning this. Checked and it is Yankee Pier and Giant's Clubhouse. If you or someone else have been there, which one is better?

While it is not applicable to me, my wife will be travelling exactly same route two days earlier and she will have PP and 4 hours between connections.

Last edited by invisible; May 11, 2019 at 9:32 pm
Old May 11, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
OK, update - just checked again on UA's website found that there are seats available in Y for June 15th for both of us.

Changed both flights (yes, it costed me $150) and reserved car at Hertz off airport. So, will be driving.

Thanks everyone for useful comments.
Old May 18, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: AA, UA
I am flying SIN-SFO-SBA (UA 28, arriving 9:20 PM). I have a couple of questions since this is my first time flying into SFO and first time doing International-Domestic connection with TSAPre. (Usually,I fly into LAX and drive)

1. Will the boarding issued in SIN for SFO-SBA leg have precheck? The reason I ask on the outbound I flew SBA-SFO-MUC and SFO-MUC did not have pre-check, while the first leg did.

2. Assuming I get pre-check, after clearing immigration, what is the fastest way to get from baggage claim to drop off bags and domestic gates? I've read this thread but I still don't have a good picture of it.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by daKav
I am flying SIN-SFO-SBA (UA 28, arriving 9:20 PM). I have a couple of questions since this is my first time flying into SFO and first time doing International-Domestic connection with TSAPre. (Usually,I fly into LAX and drive)

1. Will the boarding issued in SIN for SFO-SBA leg have precheck? The reason I ask on the outbound I flew SBA-SFO-MUC and SFO-MUC did not have pre-check, while the first leg did. ...
There is no generic reason it should not assuming you meet the PreCheck requirements.
If it does not, just have it reprinted in SFO at an automated kiosk

2. Assuming I get pre-check, after clearing immigration, what is the fastest way to get from baggage claim to drop off bags and domestic gates? I've read this thread but I still don't have a good picture of it.
Conrinue to the left -- it is a short walk, you will have to clear security again.

Going to the right is a bit long walk but more pre-security access to food and shop -- but there are plenty of food and shops post-security domestic terminal.

Either way, it is just minutes.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. Will the boarding issued in SIN for SFO-SBA leg have precheck? The reason I ask on the outbound I flew SBA-SFO-MUC and SFO-MUC did not have pre-check, while the first leg did.

1. Typically yes if enrolled in trusted travel program and no SSSS. The SBA-SFO-MUC experience is odd.

2. Did you see the below posts? I think they give a pretty good description.

Originally Posted by drewguy
How does one get there from international arrivals/immigration? The flow seemed to be in the direction towards that checkpoint (and it's the one I've used the past few (infrequent) times I've transited at SFO).
Originally Posted by fumje
To get to the international departures security, turn left after immigration and go up the stairs to the left again.

I've started almost always going to int'l for security. For some time now, even the worst I've seen there is not as bad as domestic.
Originally Posted by Kacee
It depends how you exit. If you exit towards "connecting flights" follow fumje's directions. If you exit to the arrivals hall (no bags to recheck), it's a right, then up the escalator, then G terminal security is off to the right and ahead of you.
The only extra clarification I could think to add is that the arrival process goes (i) passport control, (ii) checked bag retrieval, (iii) former customs, (iv) depart airport or re-check bags + re-enter for connection. The descriptions above are for the steps between (iii) and (iv). The others are are essentially a straight line with no choices to make. Kacee's addendum to my earlier description describes how to get back airside if you initially make like you're going to depart the airport. I'm not sure there's a time advantage to either.

Last edited by fumje; May 18, 2019 at 3:09 pm Reason: update language
Old May 18, 2019, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
The only extra clarification I could think to add is that the arrival process goes (i) passport control, (ii) checked bag retrieval, (iii) customs, (iv) depart airport or re-check bags + re-enter for connection.
Customs is no longer separate. Passport control and customs occur at the same time.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Customs is no longer separate. Passport control and customs occur at the same time.
Thanks, correct. As of last month, at least, they still had all the equipment and desks set up for former customs, but no one staffing them. So in my listing, above, (iii) should be 'former customs', which you just walk through.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:20 pm

Anyone run into luggage delay at SFO? I mean, coming off of international metal near noon, easy breezy immigration/Customs via GE, only to found that your checked in luggage is no show after 1hr type of delay. Basically did the time for your luggage to show up at the carrousel delayed your ability to connect to the domestic onward metal? Wanted to know for the future reference.
Thanks in advance!
Old May 31, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by msiamsia
Anyone run into luggage delay at SFO? I mean, coming off of international metal near noon, easy breezy immigration/Customs via GE, only to found that your checked in luggage is no show after 1hr type of delay. Basically did the time for your luggage to show up at the carrousel delayed your ability to connect to the domestic onward metal? Wanted to know for the future reference.
Thanks in advance!
International luggage is usually "OK" but can at times be slow. UA domestic at SFO I have found generally to be appalling but will admit it has recently gotten a bit better.
Old May 31, 2019, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
30 minutes is normal, and at peak times, 40 minutes is not uncommon. Anything more than that is unusual.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:46 am

Thank you so much!! We will built in that info for the future.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:59 pm
She

Need suggestions on making a 85min International - Domestic connection. I have low confidence but United won't re-book me to a later flight without collecting a $348/person fare difference (although they will waive the change fee as a goodwill gesture - eyeroll).

So my question is, how do I make this connection? I am flying TPE - SFO - PDX

1. Traveling with my son and husband - I have Global Entry but they do not. Does SFO have Mobile Passport?
2. We will have checked bags
3. On our inbound international flight we are in economy and seated toward the back of the aircraft

What can I do?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by She
What can I do?
Assuming that this is all on one ticket, UA will rebook you onto the next available PDX flight (at no charge) if you miss your connection. Since SFO-PDX runs frequently (for example, there are 8 scheduled tomorrow), I wouldn’t worry too much about this unless there happens to be a big event in the PDX area that day.
findark likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by She
Need suggestions on making a 85min International - Domestic connection. I have low confidence but United won't re-book me to a later flight without collecting a $348/person fare difference (although they will waive the change fee as a goodwill gesture - eyeroll).

So my question is, how do I make this connection? I am flying TPE - SFO - PDX

1. Traveling with my son and husband - I have Global Entry but they do not. Does SFO have Mobile Passport?
Yes, SFO has mobile passport and use it all the time. Came through SFO two weeks ago from Beijing around 1 ish and was through in 5 minutes. I believe the TPE flight arrives early ~ 6:30 AM so you will probably be mixed in with their fight from TLV and BR, AI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.