Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dhuey
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO

Archived posts: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by carzaddict
thanks for letting me know about customs. thats good to know.

I thought about those same concerns, however I would be taking off at night in SFO (landing in EWR at 6am), so i feel like traffic would be light
yes, pre-clearance in YVR, so youll do immigration/customs in YVR. If you dont have GE, definitely arrive at YVR 2 hours prior for those for formalities.

If youre on a night flight out out of SFO, Id presume you are on an afternoon/early evening flight out of YVR. Dont forget delays can build through the day (ie, delays in the morning continue through an aircrafts schedule all day), and so from that perspective, they can get worse later in the day. Keep that in mind. There are situations/airports I would book a 45 minute connection in if traveling alone - through personally, I generally wouldnt at SFO.

Also, just take note of who is operating your flight out of YVR so you know where to check in - UA codeshares on the AC YVR-SFO flights.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
My buddy was flying to SYD from IAH. He booked a 45 minute connection at SFO on Cheapo Air. We warned him about it. Needless to say there was a slight weather delay at IAH in summer. So he missed flight was out for a hotel room in SFO and missed a prepaid hotel night in SYD. All to save a few bucks.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by leiserom
My buddy was flying to SYD from IAH. He booked a 45 minute connection at SFO on Cheapo Air. We warned him about it. Needless to say there was a slight weather delay at IAH in summer. So he missed flight was out for a hotel room in SFO and missed a prepaid hotel night in SYD. All to save a few bucks.
If he didn't also have to repurchase his SFO-SYD ticket, I'll say that he was extremely fortunate in the outcome to this unwise choice.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by seenitall
If he didn't also have to repurchase his SFO-SYD ticket, I'll say that he was extremely fortunate in the outcome to this unwise choice.
Why would he have to repurchase SFO-SYD??

Even if you miss a flight, regardless of reason, regardless where it was booked - UA has to reaccomodate at no extra cost
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Why would he have to repurchase SFO-SYD??

Even if you miss a flight, regardless of reason, regardless where it was booked - UA has to reaccomodate at no extra cost
Assuming it was one PNR, correct. Might not have been.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Repooc17
If you are arriving in the morning, use the PreCheck lines at INTL terminal after you have cleared customs and immigration. The line is usually much shorter than T3 (most INTL travelers don't have TSA Pre). After you have re-cleared security, you can walk airside to T3 to catch your onward domestic connection.
Went through SFO Intl->Dom last Friday. The first security gate coming from international didn't have precheck, or so I was told (no sign, and was directed to main security checkpoint). Is this new? Was I given bad info (and had blurry vision from my overnight TPAC flight)? Late morning arrival.

FWIW, the lines were quite short at this checkpoint - not so much at the main one. Probably would have been quicker to take my shoes off and laptop out and gone through . . .
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by drewguy
Went through SFO Intl->Dom last Friday. The first security gate coming from international didn't have precheck, or so I was told (no sign, and was directed to main security checkpoint). Is this new? Was I given bad info (and had blurry vision from my overnight TPAC flight)?
That would be the F3 checkpoint, and it no longer has Pre. Depending on time of day, you might have been better off at International G.
drewguy likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
That would be the F3 checkpoint, and it no longer has Pre. Depending on time of day, you might have been better off at International G.
How does one get there from international arrivals/immigration? The flow seemed to be in the direction towards that checkpoint (and it's the one I've used the past few (infrequent) times I've transited at SFO).
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How does one get there from international arrivals/immigration? The flow seemed to be in the direction towards that checkpoint (and it's the one I've used the past few (infrequent) times I've transited at SFO).
To get to the international departures security, turn left after immigration and go up the stairs to the left again.

I've started almost always going to int'l for security. For some time now, even the worst I've seen there is not as bad as domestic.
drewguy and SamirD like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
How does one get there from international arrivals/immigration?
It depends how you exit. If you exit towards "connecting flights" follow fumje's directions. If you exit to the arrivals hall (no bags to recheck), it's a right, then up the escalator, then G terminal security is off to the right and ahead of you.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
59 minutes D to I doable? LAX-SFO-FRA?

TIA
Old May 6, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
No problem if you inbound is on time; the problem is on LAX-SFO it probably won't be, and missing the FRA flight is probably a big hassle.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Don't do it. I would recommend minimum 2 hours, 3 is better. LAX-SFO is highly unreliable.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:43 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by nacho

TIA
I almost didn't make it and the Mercedes even picked me up!
Old May 6, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Don't do it. I would recommend minimum 2 hours, 3 is better. LAX-SFO is highly unreliable.
If your LAX-SFO leaves early morning, you need 2-3hrs plus - if you're departing after 11AM, I would say 3-4hrs. Now if you're upgraded SFO FRA and don't want to risk that seat, I would say 5-6hrs minimum which is what I do from ONT when connecting to Asia in Polaris. I would rather relax in the lounge, or if I have a solid 6hrs, take Uber into the city for dim sum and back, than bite my nails at my departure point watching the SFO flight tick later and later....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.