Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)

Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 4, 15, 10:06 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Presented as Q&A format (Originally posted by Alex_B)

Q: What is a stopover?
A: A stopover on an international itinerary is any break in your air travel for more than 24 hours except at the destination.

Q: What is an open-jaw?
A: An open-jaw is where you travel by your own means (either land, sea or a separate air ticket) between two points in a journey.

Q: How many stopovers am I allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: One stopover, in addition to the destination, is permitted (an unlimited number of stops less than 24hours is allowable).

Q: How many open-jaws are allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: Two open-jaws are permitted. These must be at the stopover, destination or origin.

Q: Can I have a stopover or open-jaw on a one-way award?
A: No

Q: Can I have a open-jaw at both the stopover and destination?
A: Yes, plenty of posters have reported success in booking this

Q: Can I transit my destination multiple times (e.g. fly to JNB, fly to CPT and then return home via JNB)?
A: Yes, plenty of posters have reported success in booking this. You can only stop in your destination for > 24 hours once though.

Q: Can I cross both oceans?
A: Yes. The rule that prohibited crossing both oceans appears to have been removed from both MP and *A award rules. There are many many successful examples of people booking these itineraries.

Q: Is EWR-PVG transatlantic or transpacific?
A: US-East Asia/South East Asia is always transpacific no matter what geography might suggest.

Q: Do I pay more for a stopover or open-jaw?
A: Typically no additional mileage is required but additional taxes or fees are often payable (especially in UK with high Air Passenger Duty). Extra mileage will often be required if an open-jaw or stopover adds a higher cost region into the itinerary. Also awards wholly within CONUS, Canada and Alaska (formerly known as Series 0 awards) require additional mileage (10K miles) for a stopover of >4 hrs.

Q: What's this about a free one-way I can get on awards?
A: The concept of free one-ways is a misnomer and often confuses people, it is better to consider it a stopover in the city of origin. If you have a simple roundtrip award without a stopover, you can often create a stopover and open-jaw at your origin on the return leg to add an addition flight. E.g. I wish to book EWR-LHR (destination)-EWR which is a roundtrip US-Europe award. I could also book this as EWR-LHR (destination)-EWR (stopover)-SFO for the same mileage (and a few dollars of extra tax). The EWR segment would need to be within 330 days of booking and would be subject to the usual change fees.

Other notes:
  • The open-jaw portion must be smaller (in miles) than any other leg. -While technically true for revenue fare construction this is not strictly enforced on awards.
  • For awards between CONUS/Canada/Alaska and South Asia award regions the maximum number of segments is 5 segments each way on a round-trip and 4 segments on a one-way. (Note that many FTers report recently being read a memo that imposes an eight segment maximum on a roundtrip (4 each way). It is unclear whether this eight-segment maximum is limited to South Asia routings through Europe or North Asia, or has broader application.)
  • Stopovers and open-jaws are NOT additive. You do not get extra stops included in your itinerary simply by making an open-jaw out of it.

Seeing your fare construction on an already booked award ticket:
In order to see your award fare construction to see where your stopovers and destination are, follow these steps.

Go to http://www.saudiairlines.com/

Then hit "Manage My Bookings" and select "E-Ticket"
Enter your UA ticket number (hint: 016 will go in the first box, and then everything else in the second box). Then your last name and hit "Retrieve My Booking". On the next page you'll see a line like this under "Fare Calculation":

CHI LH X/FRA LH ROM0.00CSM/YB52 /- FLR LH X/FRA LH X/DUS LH CHI UA SEA

This example is:
ORD-FRA-FCO
Open Jaw at Destination
FLR-FRA-DUS-ORD
Stopover at origin
ORD-SEA
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 26, 12, 2:00 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Stopover on Award Ticket

From reading the rules I get the impression that one can only have a stopover on a round trip award ticket and not on any other type of award. Is that correct?

For example, suppose I do not have enough miles to book a round trip ticket so I book A to B one way. Rules state no stopover. I then acquire enough miles (more than 24 hours later) to book B to A one way. Rules state no stopover. However, I now "effectively" have a round trip award. But it still seems that one can not have a stopover when booking the B to A segment [without potentially paying fees for cancellation and reissue]. Is this a correct reading of the rules?
Old Mar 26, 12, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by MIT_SBM View Post
From reading the rules I get the impression that one can only have a stopover on a round trip award ticket and not on any other type of award. Is that correct?

For example, suppose I do not have enough miles to book a round trip ticket so I book A to B one way. Rules state no stopover. I then acquire enough miles (more than 24 hours later) to book B to A one way. Rules state no stopover. However, I now "effectively" have a round trip award. But it still seems that one can not have a stopover when booking the B to A segment [without potentially paying fees for cancellation and reissue]. Is this a correct reading of the rules?
Yep. You have to book a legit RT award to get the stopover. In order to convert it to a real RT I'm pretty sure you would have to pay the redeposit fee on the original award. Additional note: if you go that route, some people are saying that the redeposit is not instant and can take a week or two.
Old Mar 26, 12, 9:07 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to make sure my understanding of the rules is correct.
Old Mar 26, 12, 9:30 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, Hyatt , HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-List Preferred, Avis 1st
Another problem to keep in mind is even when you get your points back (instant or delayed) the award seats you just had may not be available.
Old Mar 26, 12, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
CO used to allow 1 stopover and 1 open jaw, is this the case with UA?
Old Mar 26, 12, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
CO used to allow 1 stopover and 1 open jaw, is this the case with UA?
New rules (as of June 15 last year IIRC) are 1 stopover and 2 open jaws per RT.
0 stopovers on one-ways.

These are the current rules on the combined UA. Note: They have recently changed the fee structure.
Old Mar 26, 12, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by wcalvert View Post
New rules (as of June 15 last year IIRC) are 1 stopover and 2 open jaws per RT.
0 stopovers on one-ways.

These are the current rules on the combined UA. Note: They have recently changed the fee structure.

Pleasantly surprised, but is this for non-star members as well?
Old Mar 29, 12, 10:21 pm

*A award flying DEN-TLV and back. On the return, stopping over in PRG. Must I return to DEN from PRG, or can the return be from MUC?

I understand that I'm allowed two OJs and one stopover, but it's not spelled out in the rules if an OJ can occur at the same time as the stopover; the language suggests that the OJs should (or must) be at the end points.
Old Mar 29, 12, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zbenye View Post
*A award flying DEN-TLV and back. On the return, stopping over in PRG. Must I return to DEN from PRG, or can the return be from MUC?

I understand that I'm allowed two OJs and one stopover, but it's not spelled out in the rules if an OJ can occur at the same time as the stopover; the language suggests that the OJs should (or must) be at the end points.
I've done OJ at the stopover point several times. Shouldn't be a problem, though if the agent balks at it you can ask them to store the itinerary and forward it to the rates desk to be manually priced. It should come back correctly.
Old Mar 29, 12, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
This is one of those "hang up and call back" situations.
Old Mar 29, 12, 11:04 pm

Thanks all. I got it booked through the website. The only issue was that i wasn't able to get on the direct flight from LHR to ATH despite availability.
Old Mar 29, 12, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Boghopper View Post
This is one of those "hang up and call back" situations.
Hard to do these days, I've been listening to their hold music for 75 minutes now and will soon give up.
Old Mar 31, 12, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, SA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
Been on hold for 20 minutes so far with an agent "who has worked here 22 years and knows you CANNOT have an open jaw and stopover on the same award ticket."

Here's to the new United.
Old Apr 2, 12, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Looks like you can also get a stopover on RT's from CONUS to Hawaii. Is that new?
Old Apr 2, 12, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
Pleasantly surprised, but is this for non-star members as well?
Unknown :/

I would think so though.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: