FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1316366-rules-open-jaw-stopover-award-flights-consolidated.html)

MIT_SBM Mar 26, 2012 1:00 pm

Stopover on Award Ticket

From reading the rules I get the impression that one can only have a stopover on a round trip award ticket and not on any other type of award. Is that correct?

For example, suppose I do not have enough miles to book a round trip ticket so I book A to B one way. Rules state no stopover. I then acquire enough miles (more than 24 hours later) to book B to A one way. Rules state no stopover. However, I now "effectively" have a round trip award. But it still seems that one can not have a stopover when booking the B to A segment [without potentially paying fees for cancellation and reissue]. Is this a correct reading of the rules?

wcalvert Mar 26, 2012 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by MIT_SBM (Post 18276888)
From reading the rules I get the impression that one can only have a stopover on a round trip award ticket and not on any other type of award. Is that correct?

For example, suppose I do not have enough miles to book a round trip ticket so I book A to B one way. Rules state no stopover. I then acquire enough miles (more than 24 hours later) to book B to A one way. Rules state no stopover. However, I now "effectively" have a round trip award. But it still seems that one can not have a stopover when booking the B to A segment [without potentially paying fees for cancellation and reissue]. Is this a correct reading of the rules?

Yep. You have to book a legit RT award to get the stopover. In order to convert it to a real RT I'm pretty sure you would have to pay the redeposit fee on the original award. Additional note: if you go that route, some people are saying that the redeposit is not instant and can take a week or two.

MIT_SBM Mar 26, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to make sure my understanding of the rules is correct.

nissan720 Mar 26, 2012 8:30 pm

Another problem to keep in mind is even when you get your points back (instant or delayed) the award seats you just had may not be available.

UA Fan Mar 26, 2012 9:22 pm

CO used to allow 1 stopover and 1 open jaw, is this the case with UA?

wcalvert Mar 26, 2012 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 18279773)
CO used to allow 1 stopover and 1 open jaw, is this the case with UA?

New rules (as of June 15 last year IIRC) are 1 stopover and 2 open jaws per RT.
0 stopovers on one-ways.

These are the current rules on the combined UA. Note: They have recently changed the fee structure.

UA Fan Mar 26, 2012 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by wcalvert (Post 18279838)
New rules (as of June 15 last year IIRC) are 1 stopover and 2 open jaws per RT.
0 stopovers on one-ways.

These are the current rules on the combined UA. Note: They have recently changed the fee structure.

Pleasantly surprised, but is this for non-star members as well?

zbenye Mar 29, 2012 9:21 pm

*A award flying DEN-TLV and back. On the return, stopping over in PRG. Must I return to DEN from PRG, or can the return be from MUC?

I understand that I'm allowed two OJs and one stopover, but it's not spelled out in the rules if an OJ can occur at the same time as the stopover; the language suggests that the OJs should (or must) be at the end points.

sbm12 Mar 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by zbenye (Post 18300180)
*A award flying DEN-TLV and back. On the return, stopping over in PRG. Must I return to DEN from PRG, or can the return be from MUC?

I understand that I'm allowed two OJs and one stopover, but it's not spelled out in the rules if an OJ can occur at the same time as the stopover; the language suggests that the OJs should (or must) be at the end points.

I've done OJ at the stopover point several times. Shouldn't be a problem, though if the agent balks at it you can ask them to store the itinerary and forward it to the rates desk to be manually priced. It should come back correctly.

Boghopper Mar 29, 2012 9:38 pm

This is one of those "hang up and call back" situations.

sapman986 Mar 29, 2012 10:04 pm

Thanks all. I got it booked through the website. The only issue was that i wasn't able to get on the direct flight from LHR to ATH despite availability.

zbenye Mar 29, 2012 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Boghopper (Post 18300264)
This is one of those "hang up and call back" situations.

Hard to do these days, I've been listening to their hold music for 75 minutes now and will soon give up. :td:

tennisboy Mar 31, 2012 10:06 am

Been on hold for 20 minutes so far with an agent "who has worked here 22 years and knows you CANNOT have an open jaw and stopover on the same award ticket."

Here's to the new United.

hobo13 Apr 2, 2012 3:54 pm

Looks like you can also get a stopover on RT's from CONUS to Hawaii. Is that new?

wcalvert Apr 2, 2012 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 18279871)
Pleasantly surprised, but is this for non-star members as well?

Unknown :/

I would think so though.