Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Presented as Q&A format (Originally posted by Alex_B)

Q: What is a stopover?
A: A stopover on an international itinerary is any break in your air travel for more than 24 hours except at the destination.

Q: What is an open-jaw?
A: An open-jaw is where you travel by your own means (either land, sea or a separate air ticket) between two points in a journey.

Q: How many stopovers am I allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: One stopover, in addition to the destination, is permitted (an unlimited number of stops less than 24hours is allowable).

Q: How many open-jaws are allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: Two open-jaws are permitted. These must be at the stopover, destination or origin.

Q: Can I have a stopover or open-jaw on a one-way award?
A: No

Q: Can I have a open-jaw at both the stopover and destination?
A: Yes, plenty of posters have reported success in booking this

Q: Can I transit my destination multiple times (e.g. fly to JNB, fly to CPT and then return home via JNB)?
A: Yes, plenty of posters have reported success in booking this. You can only stop in your destination for > 24 hours once though.

Q: Can I cross both oceans?
A: Yes. The rule that prohibited crossing both oceans appears to have been removed from both MP and *A award rules. There are many many successful examples of people booking these itineraries.

Q: Is EWR-PVG transatlantic or transpacific?
A: US-East Asia/South East Asia is always transpacific no matter what geography might suggest.

Q: Do I pay more for a stopover or open-jaw?
A: Typically no additional mileage is required but additional taxes or fees are often payable (especially in UK with high Air Passenger Duty). Extra mileage will often be required if an open-jaw or stopover adds a higher cost region into the itinerary. Also awards wholly within CONUS, Canada and Alaska (formerly known as Series 0 awards) require additional mileage (10K miles) for a stopover of >4 hrs.

Q: What's this about a free one-way I can get on awards?
A: The concept of free one-ways is a misnomer and often confuses people, it is better to consider it a stopover in the city of origin. If you have a simple roundtrip award without a stopover, you can often create a stopover and open-jaw at your origin on the return leg to add an addition flight. E.g. I wish to book EWR-LHR (destination)-EWR which is a roundtrip US-Europe award. I could also book this as EWR-LHR (destination)-EWR (stopover)-SFO for the same mileage (and a few dollars of extra tax). The EWR segment would need to be within 330 days of booking and would be subject to the usual change fees.

Other notes:
  • The open-jaw portion must be smaller (in miles) than any other leg. -While technically true for revenue fare construction this is not strictly enforced on awards.
  • For awards between CONUS/Canada/Alaska and South Asia award regions the maximum number of segments is 5 segments each way on a round-trip and 4 segments on a one-way. (Note that many FTers report recently being read a memo that imposes an eight segment maximum on a roundtrip (4 each way). It is unclear whether this eight-segment maximum is limited to South Asia routings through Europe or North Asia, or has broader application.)
  • Stopovers and open-jaws are NOT additive. You do not get extra stops included in your itinerary simply by making an open-jaw out of it.

Seeing your fare construction on an already booked award ticket:
In order to see your award fare construction to see where your stopovers and destination are, follow these steps.

Go to http://www.saudiairlines.com/

Then hit "Manage My Bookings" and select "E-Ticket"
Enter your UA ticket number (hint: 016 will go in the first box, and then everything else in the second box). Then your last name and hit "Retrieve My Booking". On the next page you'll see a line like this under "Fare Calculation":

CHI LH X/FRA LH ROM0.00CSM/YB52 /- FLR LH X/FRA LH X/DUS LH CHI UA SEA

This example is:
ORD-FRA-FCO
Open Jaw at Destination
FLR-FRA-DUS-ORD
Stopover at origin
ORD-SEA
Print Wikipost

Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
I'm not 100% sure if they'll let you go out of the way to BKK as a stopover en route to PEK, but doing a stopover in PEK on the way to BKK should be easy -- although I get the impression that ORD-NRT-PEK is your return and not the outbound so maybe this wouldn't be as helpful.

Routings are pretty flexible on award travel, so it can't hurt to try and maybe give it a few tries if agents shoot you down. If that doesn't work, I would suggest ICN as an alternative to NRT for a stopover.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Antipode
I'm not 100% sure if they'll let you go out of the way to BKK as a stopover en route to PEK, but doing a stopover in PEK on the way to BKK should be easy -- although I get the impression that ORD-NRT-PEK is your return and not the outbound so maybe this wouldn't be as helpful.

Routings are pretty flexible on award travel, so it can't hurt to try and maybe give it a few tries if agents shoot you down. If that doesn't work, I would suggest ICN as an alternative to NRT for a stopover.
Thanks! It's good to know that award travel is flexible. I will try to BKK. Otherwise, use your suggestion to stop in ICN.

Which destination do you prefer for travel with two elder parents? BKK or ICN?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:47 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
One Way Award Tickets with a Stopover

Can I book an award ticket for a one way trip with a stopover? If so, can it be done online without agent intervention. Also, it would be using *A partners as it would be an intra-Europe flight, likely from Nice to London.

I did a search (for what it's worth) and could not find an answer to my question specifically.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:52 pm

This page says that stopovers are only permitted for round trips:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...vel/types.aspx (click "United air travel award rules")
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
no, but you can build in day long international connections.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by 787fan
I don't know what the absolute upper limit is but I've recently redeemed an one-way JFK-SIN that's 8 legs, 6 partner airlines, 72% longer than a grreat circle nonstop, and 2 layovers at 22 hours each (enough to pay a quick visit to friends), and yet ticketed without a hitch

Last CO killed me on a connection of more than 12 hours is a stopover. They documented the record that I had too many stopovers and could not clean it up after several schedule changes resulting in downgrades. No conncection was more than about 15 hours. I had to put out an additional 65,000 miles per ticket to get back to the US after the numerous schedule changes and downgrades.

I was surprised how ignorant the CO agents were even though the their contract of carriage said otherwise.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:26 am

stopover + openjaw in one award RT?

Hi, I am new to FT, and can someone help me figure out whether I can take advantage when I redeem a international RT ticket? My itinerary is:

BOS-NBO(stopover)
NBO-BKK(open jaw)
REP-PEK(destination)
PEK-BOS

However, the website always gave me an error when I tried to use their multi-cities search.

There is no flight REP-PEK on the website (actually cannot find any flight from south asian city to PEK on their website), but Asiana is their partner airline and does offer REP-ICN-PEK. So I am a little confused...

I will try to call CSR tomorrow to see what they say about this, and really looking forward to any suggestions and advice from you follow tralvers, thanks a lot!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by MissTravelLover
Hi, I am new to FT, and can someone help me figure out whether I can take advantage when I redeem a international RT ticket? My itinerary is:

BOS-NBO(stopover)
NBO-BKK(open jaw)
REP-PEK(destination)
PEK-BOS

However, the website always gave me an error when I tried to use their multi-cities search.

There is no flight REP-PEK on the website (actually cannot find any flight from south asian city to PEK on their website), but Asiana is their partner airline and does offer REP-ICN-PEK. So I am a little confused...

I will try to call CSR tomorrow to see what they say about this, and really looking forward to any suggestions and advice from you follow tralvers, thanks a lot!
You are dealing with computer systems from the 1980s and 1990s. The routing will have to be forced by an agent. The cost should be less if the open jaw is REP-BKK, or just use BKK as a stopover and do a purchased round trip from BKK-REP, depending on cost, and BKK is the stopover.

You may want to check some of the local airlines that may not appear on the major booking sites.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:46 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver

BOS-NBO(stopover)
NBO-BKK(open jaw)
REP-PEK(destination)
PEK-BOS

stopover is PEK, destination is BKK...
Old Aug 10, 2012, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by pbd456
Agreed. Plus the additional stopover in NBO. This one is unlikely to fly. Though I do like your moxie, 4 regions in 1 ticket.

The o/w flight BKK-REP will cost you more than this itinerary (if you could ticket it).

Last edited by dsquared37; Aug 10, 2012 at 5:27 am
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
stopover + openjaw in one award RT?

While there are problems with this particular routing, I found some agents refuse to book certain open jaws with a stopover (perfectly legal ones). CO.con will book it but the 'activist' agent will not. If often takes several call to find an agent who will follow the rules as opposed to make their own rules up.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:50 am

Correct itenerary is :

Outbount : BOS - NBO (s/o)

Inbound: REP - PEK (s/o) - BOS

NBO-BKK (open Jaw is redundant) actual open jaw is NBO - REP
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Renard
While there are problems with this particular routing, I found some agents refuse to book certain open jaws with a stopover (perfectly legal ones). CO.con will book it but the 'activist' agent will not. If often takes several call to find an agent who will follow the rules as opposed to make their own rules up.
If the agent sounds like they're willing to be helpful, but the computer is pricing out much higher, then you should ask if the itinerary can be priced manually by the rate desk. It helps if it seems like the agent is in agreement with you that the computer pricing seems wrong.

The rate desk will usually get it right, assuming it's valid, but you have to be patient while it gets done. I've made 4 calls in the past 2 weeks to make changes to a complicated itinerary and the 3 times the rate desk priced it correctly, the wait time was an average of 20 minutes
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by NAREN10216
Correct itenerary is :

Outbount : BOS - NBO (s/o)

Inbound: REP - PEK (s/o) - BOS

NBO-BKK (open Jaw is redundant) actual open jaw is NBO - REP
In this case, they wouldn't have a flight from NBO-REP, which seems problematic.

I'm guessing that the OP will need to route TPAC to NBO to avoid making this a RTW award, wouldn't they?

Last edited by tods27; Aug 10, 2012 at 10:18 am
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by BF263533

BOS-NBO(stopover)
NBO-BKK(open jaw)
REP-PEK(destination)
PEK-BOS

You are dealing with computer systems from the 1980s and 1990s. The routing will have to be forced by an agent. The cost should be less if the open jaw is REP-BKK, or just use BKK as a stopover and do a purchased round trip from BKK-REP, depending on cost, and BKK is the stopover.

You may want to check some of the local airlines that may not appear on the major booking sites.
Thank you, BF263533, are you suggesting BOS-NBO-REP(open jaw)BKK-PEK as outbound?

Originally Posted by pbd456

BOS-NBO(stopover)
NBO-BKK(open jaw)
REP-PEK(destination)
PEK-BOS

Thank you, pbd456, but I think destination means city with longest distance, and in my case, PEK is the longest one, why would BKK be the destination? Sorry, I am not very familiar with UA rules and this is my first time redeeming ticket with stopover/open jaw.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 10, 2012 at 11:04 am Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.