Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Presented as Q&A format (Originally posted by Alex_B)

Q: What is a stopover?
A: A stopover on an international itinerary is any break in your air travel for more than 24 hours except at the destination.

Q: What is an open-jaw?
A: An open-jaw is where you travel by your own means (either land, sea or a separate air ticket) between two points in a journey.

Q: How many stopovers am I allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: One stopover, in addition to the destination, is permitted (an unlimited number of stops less than 24hours is allowable).

Q: How many open-jaws are allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: Two open-jaws are permitted. These must be at the stopover, destination or origin.

Q: Can I have a stopover or open-jaw on a one-way award?
A: No

Q: Can I have a open-jaw at both the stopover and destination?
A: Yes, plenty of posters have reported success in booking this

Q: Can I transit my destination multiple times (e.g. fly to JNB, fly to CPT and then return home via JNB)?
A: Yes, plenty of posters have reported success in booking this. You can only stop in your destination for > 24 hours once though.

Q: Can I cross both oceans?
A: Yes. The rule that prohibited crossing both oceans appears to have been removed from both MP and *A award rules. There are many many successful examples of people booking these itineraries.

Q: Is EWR-PVG transatlantic or transpacific?
A: US-East Asia/South East Asia is always transpacific no matter what geography might suggest.

Q: Do I pay more for a stopover or open-jaw?
A: Typically no additional mileage is required but additional taxes or fees are often payable (especially in UK with high Air Passenger Duty). Extra mileage will often be required if an open-jaw or stopover adds a higher cost region into the itinerary. Also awards wholly within CONUS, Canada and Alaska (formerly known as Series 0 awards) require additional mileage (10K miles) for a stopover of >4 hrs.

Q: What's this about a free one-way I can get on awards?
A: The concept of free one-ways is a misnomer and often confuses people, it is better to consider it a stopover in the city of origin. If you have a simple roundtrip award without a stopover, you can often create a stopover and open-jaw at your origin on the return leg to add an addition flight. E.g. I wish to book EWR-LHR (destination)-EWR which is a roundtrip US-Europe award. I could also book this as EWR-LHR (destination)-EWR (stopover)-SFO for the same mileage (and a few dollars of extra tax). The EWR segment would need to be within 330 days of booking and would be subject to the usual change fees.

Other notes:
  • The open-jaw portion must be smaller (in miles) than any other leg. -While technically true for revenue fare construction this is not strictly enforced on awards.
  • For awards between CONUS/Canada/Alaska and South Asia award regions the maximum number of segments is 5 segments each way on a round-trip and 4 segments on a one-way. (Note that many FTers report recently being read a memo that imposes an eight segment maximum on a roundtrip (4 each way). It is unclear whether this eight-segment maximum is limited to South Asia routings through Europe or North Asia, or has broader application.)
  • Stopovers and open-jaws are NOT additive. You do not get extra stops included in your itinerary simply by making an open-jaw out of it.

Seeing your fare construction on an already booked award ticket:
In order to see your award fare construction to see where your stopovers and destination are, follow these steps.

Go to http://www.saudiairlines.com/

Then hit "Manage My Bookings" and select "E-Ticket"
Enter your UA ticket number (hint: 016 will go in the first box, and then everything else in the second box). Then your last name and hit "Retrieve My Booking". On the next page you'll see a line like this under "Fare Calculation":

CHI LH X/FRA LH ROM0.00CSM/YB52 /- FLR LH X/FRA LH X/DUS LH CHI UA SEA

This example is:
ORD-FRA-FCO
Open Jaw at Destination
FLR-FRA-DUS-ORD
Stopover at origin
ORD-SEA
Print Wikipost

Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cagcag
I called on 10 June, 2103 to ticket this RT MP award (US-INDIA-US) award itinerary. Agent quoted me fare/taxes, and I proceeded to give credit card info. Credit card was charged and my MP account confirmed that this was purchased.

"Thank you for choosing United Airlines. Your purchase is confirmed. You will be promptly notified once the internal processing of your reservation has been finalized so that you can request additional receipts, export to Microsoft Outlook, refund or change your flight, view/change seats, check-in, or email or print your itinerary."

As of yet it does not show that it was ticketed and no email confirmation of purchase. Can I presume that this was in fact purchased? Should I call or be concerned at this point?
If it hasn't ticketed within 24-36 hrs I'd be concerned, best to phone back and chase it through the system.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by alex_b
If it hasn't ticketed within 24-36 hrs I'd be concerned, best to phone back and chase it through the system.
Thanks for the prompt reply. If there is a problem with the ticketing as to taxes, can I hold UA MP to what was quoted me and to what they debited my CC for?

Can MP now state that there is a problem with the itinerary having quoted me a full itinerary with taxes? Can I hold them to what they quoted?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by cagcag
Thanks for the prompt reply. If there is a problem with the ticketing as to taxes, can I hold UA MP to what was quoted me and to what they debited my CC for?

Can MP now state that there is a problem with the itinerary having quoted me a full itinerary with taxes? Can I hold them to what they quoted?
Not sure, but I'd be amazed if it's an issue with an incorrect fees/tax calculation. Much more likely is they've charged you the correct amount and there has either been an issue with partners confirming segments or SHARES has gotten stuck somewhere and it needs a kick.

Others have much more experience with this, so I'll let them add more details.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by alex_b
There is no rule against crossing both oceans any more. If you can't book online and have an agent who claims it's against the rules then hang up and call again.
Just to push the envelope a bit further, if I changed the itinerary to start from Honolulu (HNL), would the following be allowed?

HNL to LHR via SFO connection (stopover)
FCO to NRT (destination - OJ used)
NRT to HNL

UA Award chart shows RT between Hawaii and Japan in business saver at 65k miles. Do you think the above itinerary will qualify at that mileage level? How would it impact the total miles required if the last leg is changed to NRT to SFO instead? Would it be 92,500 miles (0.5 * 65000 + 0.5 * 120000 = 92,500)? Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: UA Miles+, AAdvantage, Skymiles
Originally Posted by SzatRyan
I know AA allows stopovers on one way awards, but does UA?

If not, that's ok.....I currently have 65,000 UA miles...enough for (my 6th!) roundtrip to BKK.....are there any routes that anyone knows of on United or its Partners which stopover in Hawaii (preferably originating in nyc)?

Side Note - my last trip to BKK in December, I used 32,500 for JFK - BKK then got a $299 flight BKK - JFK on Aerosvit! Sad they went out of business ....im not about glamor, but all about budget! Sometimes airlines have really great deals BKK - JFK, but not JFK - BKK....haven't seen any since aerosvit though...anyone know of any airlines currently with these occasional super deals? Lots of questions in 1 - just figured there is no need to post twice! Thanks.
AA allows one way stopovers only in North America and Hawaii if you are flying to another continent from NA. They do not allow stopovers in the destination continent, so, Mileage Plus is still much more flexible.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by echo63
Just to push the envelope a bit further, if I changed the itinerary to start from Honolulu (HNL), would the following be allowed?

NRT to HNL

UA Award chart shows RT between Hawaii and Japan in business saver at 65k miles. Do you think the above itinerary will qualify at that mileage level? How would it impact the total miles required if the last leg is changed to NRT to SFO instead? Would it be 92,500 miles (0.5 * 65000 + 0.5 * 120000 = 92,500)? Thanks.
The simple answer is I don't know as I haven't booked this itinerary. Whilst there no MPM rules any more, there are some rules about zone transiting that you may fall foul of but they don't appear to be publicly documented anywhere.

On the mileage front, I don't think you can simply decide which counts as your destination and which as your stopover. I would suspect that the HNL-LHR//FCO-NRT-HNL would price out as the higher of the two zones you're stopping in, so as a Hawaii to Europe RT (115k). If you instead did HNL-LHR//FCO-NRT-SFO I suspect it would price out as Hawaii-Europe (57.5k) plus Europe-N. America (50k), so 107.5k total.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else

NRT to HNL
My reading of your itinerary has three stops:

HNL-SFO(stop)-LHR(stop and open jaw)//FCO-NRT(stop/destination/whatever)-HNL

You get two stops (one at the destination and one as your stopover, which might also be an open jaw). If you eliminated the stopover in SFO (i.e., left for LHR within 24 hours of arriving from HNL), it would theoretically be a round trip award with a stopover and an open jaw (occurring at the same point). How it would price, I won't guess.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller
My reading of your itinerary has three stops:

HNL-SFO(stop)-LHR(stop and open jaw)//FCO-NRT(stop/destination/whatever)-HNL

You get two stops (one at the destination and one as your stopover, which might also be an open jaw). If you eliminated the stopover in SFO (i.e., left for LHR within 24 hours of arriving from HNL), it would theoretically be a round trip award with a stopover and an open jaw (occurring at the same point). How it would price, I won't guess.
I don't think he was suggesting a stop in SFO, just the routing was via SFO.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 1:19 pm

Thanks to alex_b and mtkeller. I never thought about the possibility that UA would price it at the higher of the two zones. You guys are really good.

HNL to LHR via SFO was just a connection, not a stopover, so I think I'm good there. I guess I'll need to call UA to figure out how they price the itinerary.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Thanks to alex_b and mtkeller. I never thought about the possibility that UA would price it at the higher of the two zones. You guys are really good.

HNL to LHR via SFO was just a connection, not a stopover, so I think I'm good there. I guess I'll need to call UA to figure out how they price the itinerary.
OK, then you might be good. Writing out a routing using "via" is often confusing. Better to just write HNL-SFO-LHR if you're just specifying the routing and there's no stop. The juxtaposition of stopover and connection made it unclear what exactly you meant to do at SFO.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:48 am

Need help please award routing question

ok so i been reading/skimming about the rules and last year people was posting about MPM and this year people saying that there is no MPM. is this true?

if this is true then I would be able to book a flight from HNL-IAH-MCO(stop)-SFO-KIX//KIX-HNL right?

this leads to my next question, if that is possible there is no saver award space from HNL-IAH-MCO, but there is MCO-SFO-KIX. so would I be able to still get business class for HNL.....KIX for 32.5k in all business or would it be HNl-IAH-MCO economy then MCO-SFO-KIX business for 32.5k or would it be 80k standard award for the whole thing?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Yes to the routing.

Without seeing what UA.com is giving you, I can't say quite what your price will be. It all depends on specific availability per leg.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by raceroyce
ok so i been reading/skimming about the rules and last year people was posting about MPM and this year people saying that there is no MPM. is this true?

if this is true then I would be able to book a flight from HNL-IAH-MCO(stop)-SFO-KIX//KIX-HNL right?
No MPM but there are still rules (unpublished) about backtracking and which zones can be transited). I can't imagine the backtrack from HNL-MCO-KIX will be permitted nor am I sure that Hawaii to Japan via the US mainland is a valid routing. Good luck with it, but I don't think it's legit.

Originally Posted by raceroyce
this leads to my next question, if that is possible there is no saver award space from HNL-IAH-MCO, but there is MCO-SFO-KIX. so would I be able to still get business class for HNL.....KIX for 32.5k in all business or would it be HNl-IAH-MCO economy then MCO-SFO-KIX business for 32.5k or would it be 80k standard award for the whole thing?
If there isn't saver business available on all segments in one direction then saver economy must be available and you'll be waitlisted for the business/first cabin on those segments. From the rules:
You may redeem miles for travel in United Global FirstSM, United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst , even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. For example, a Saver United First award must be confirmed in Saver United Economy to be eligible for waitlisting. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Reservations office.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:57 am

Booking a flight with stopover and layover?

Hi. This is my first time posting. I'm looking to book a trip to Asia for next year and would like to maximize my united miles. I was able to book on the united website a flight from NYC to Beijing, Beijing to Tokyo (stopover), and Tokyo to NYC for 65K miles. I would like to add a short layover in the trip, maybe Seoul for a day, but the website won't allow it. Is it possible to book a reward flight with stopover and layover?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, sammyNYC
Originally Posted by sammyNYC
... I was able to book on the united website a flight from NYC to Beijing, Beijing to Tokyo (stopover), and Tokyo to NYC for 65K miles. I would like to add a short layover in the trip, maybe Seoul for a day, but the website won't allow it. Is it possible to book a reward flight with stopover and layover? ....
On an UA MP RT (round-trip) award, you are allowed in addition to the destination, one stopover (>24 hours) (and two open-jaws -- probably not relevant in this situation).

This can be done online using the multiple destination option. Adding it to an existing reservation should be possible but the online system can sometimes give up in more complex situation and you may need to call. Additionally there a certain limitations -- such as backtracking, ... that may become an issue. The very small fine print of award travel is very detailed and we would need to have more info about the exact routing before being certain.

Give UA a call and see what they say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.