Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1 is a Lonely Number (Flights With Low Passenger Counts)

Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond
Everybody Gets An Upgrade!

I was (technically still am) on Flight 859 this morning from ORD to SFO. We had a mechanical issue that sent us back to the gate and caused a flurry of rebooking on to other flights (we were set to leave at 7:00 and the next flight at 8:00 was apparently very light). We took off about 8:45, but because of all the rebookings, there were five passengers on the entire flight. Once the doors were shut, the FAs upgraded the entire cabin. It's a good thing my upgrade cleared on a UDU. I'd have felt a wee bit cheated if I'd used an SWU or a CR1.

That said, it may have been the most surreal flight I've ever flown, one FA for every 1.25 passengers.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:19 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I've had that happen before on a badly-delayed widebody on LAX-IAD. I noticed the GA processed me as full C once we finally went (I was NF on my original 2-class flight and had stood by to get on this "earlier" one) and almost considered asking to use a CR1 to upgrade to F.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:28 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Makes you remember the days when they would put on an extra aircraft if they oversold. ^ On one occasion, I was the only person on the extra plane — in Y!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
Originally Posted by HNLescapee
That said, it may have been the most surreal flight I've ever flown, one FA for every 1.25 passengers.
I can top that I flew San Jose to LA one year after 9/11 - I was the only passenger on the plane. The FA came over, sat down next to me to do the pre-flight announcement.

Bruce
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
An interesting similar event (3or so years ago), a MX caused delays -- many rebooked but those of us that stayed (we were WX delays anyways) ended up in 3 class aircraft.
All the elites & companions got F/C, not elites were in E- and E+ was empty.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite
Well about 2 years ago, I was going MSP-ORD-BOS to drive up to Manchester. ORD got really socked in with snow. I was looking at 5 hrs minimum delay, just to get to ORD. Operations decided the plane in MSP needed to be in MHT. Talked to the GA's and, they put me on the plane. It was me, two pilots, and 6 FA's on the flight Non stop. Lucked out on that one!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UAgeek71
Well about 2 years ago, I was going MSP-ORD-BOS to drive up to Manchester. ORD got really socked in with snow. I was looking at 5 hrs minimum delay, just to get to ORD. Operations decided the plane in MSP needed to be in MHT. Talked to the GA's and, they put me on the plane. It was me, two pilots, and 6 FA's on the flight Non stop. Lucked out on that one!
Wow! How was the service?
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Sounds like you had great luck. It seems all my UA flights always go full. I have been on a quite a few B6 flights though that have had less than 10 people onboard an A320. Usually during really slow trough periods.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 2:45 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
That happened to my mom several years ago out of MCI. She was originally going to BOS through ORD. The 757 that was supposed to take her to BOS had a mechanical and they had to fly a part from ORD, causing massive delays. Once things sorted out, they decided that plane needed to be in LGA. So, they rebooked her on MCI-LGA-BOS with a seat on a US Shuttle. They put everyone in F.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
So it left 1:46 late and arrived 1:11 late. That was hauling the mail

Were you in 1A or 1F?
Old Dec 11, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Talk about being a day late and a dollar short!

That's my flight! Tomorrow. Missed it by that much.

Actually I hope to get back without too much drama (although something that caused me to get rebooked into Y in both directions would be very much worth a bit of trouble!). UA956 tonight, UA859 tomorrow morning.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by camachinist
So it left 1:46 late and arrived 1:11 late. That was hauling the mail

Were you in 1A or 1F?
2B, actually. Woulda been 0:55 late if there hadn't been another plane at our gate.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta Gold, Cathay Pacific Diamond, SPG plat.
Very light loads this weekend. Yesterday did IAH-ORD on a 752 and the amount of people in coach and first was even. Today I flew from IAD-CUN and had row 1 to myself and a few more empty seats up front on the A320.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 6:05 pm

My flight from LHR UA959 yesterday (18 Feb 2012) had this passenger count:
F 0
C 22
E 14

I'm guessing we're all lucky UA didn't cancel on us. But this got me to wondering, of all the flights you've been on, what is the lowest passenger count you've experienced?

My lowest was a flight some years back (perhaps eight) DEN - LAX a 757 where all 12 of us got put in first class. The flight wasn't canceled because its cargo hold was filled with fresh flowers from the east coast. (With apologies I can't recall the flight number).

What about you - how lonely have you been?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 19, 2012 at 7:14 pm Reason: vague, ambiguous thread title
Old Feb 19, 2012, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Search is always your friend. Quite a few instances, of only one passenger on a flight. See this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...s-upgrade.html among others.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.